Author Topic: weather science?  (Read 939 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
weather science?
« on: July 04, 2022, 06:34:09 am »
Is there any interesting weather/climate/atmospheric related science that can be done with transmitters or receivers?

Stuff like this:
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/citizenscience/ham-radio-operators-tune-in-to-giant-waves-in-the-earths-ionosphere

Has anyone gathered any interesting data at home? (I mean without connecting to a satellite to download data). I read about upper atmosphere hydrogen reactions that make green house gasses, maybe those make some kind of emissions? (like maybe HF 'ambient' noise has some components, like has ambient noise changed in the last 50 years? we know the sun is a big contributor, but maybe other stuff can be identified?)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:41:19 am by coppercone2 »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: weather science?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 01:42:15 pm »
My understanding is right now (these days) it's a massive solar sunspot facing earth, so that's why I think the different ionospheric propagation in ham.

Random search result:
Sun activity remains low but its biggest sunspot region, AR3046, is now well onto the Earth-facing side of the sun.
source:  https://earthsky.org/sun/sun-activity-solar-flare-cme-aurora-updates/

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: weather science?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 08:50:15 pm »
But has anyone actually managed to do any of this stuff? HAARP (first thing that came to mind really) is a gigantic government effort. Has anyone managed to do anything useful DIY that translated into some kind of data that had scientific impact?

Like the worldwide lightning map is interesting I guess. I kinda wanted projects like that. Not sure if its all node based.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 10:56:07 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf