Author Topic: FPC1500 RF input not 50R?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline VolcanoTopic starter

FPC1500 RF input not 50R?
« on: December 18, 2023, 12:05:11 pm »
Hello all,

I've recently bought the FPC1500 fully loaded version and was excited to take the first measurements.

First I tried TG measurement and 50R terminator.
1956399-0
I was a bit surprised since I didn't get the expected result (instead around -9.5db I got -3.5db)

After that, I've tried Smith chart measurement and I've got this:
a) S11 measurement using 50R terminator
1956393-1
Dot is on "1" as expected

b) S11 measurement of RF input port
1956405-2

Of course, I understand the parasitic components of the cable and N-type to SMA adapter but should it be THAT bad?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 12:07:42 pm by Volcano »

Offline pienari

• Regular Contributor
Re: FPC1500 RF input not 50R?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 03:23:46 pm »
I just looked tech specifications and in/out is 50ohm nominal.
Have you calibrated unit?

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 03:41:42 pm »
I didn't calibrate it myself, but the device is new and was calibrated in the factory. The calibration was performed about 1 year ago and I know with age it can change a bit, but it looks a bit too high decalibration just only for age.

Offline RFDx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 04:47:38 pm »
(Attachment Link)
I was a bit surprised since I didn't get the expected result (instead around -9.5db I got -3.5db)

Transmission loss is 3.5dB and return loss would be 9.5dB.

I didn't calibrate it myself, but the device is new and was calibrated in the factory. The calibration was performed about 1 year ago and I know with age it can change a bit, but it looks a bit too high decalibration just only for age.

Meant was the SOL-calibration you should do before your measurement.

Online pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 07:37:21 pm »
You definitely should perform a measurement calibration (open-short-match) before making a VNA measurement.  As some other posters have already mentioned, this is different from the instrument calibration (which is done every few years by a calibration center)

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/webhelp/fpc_html_usermanual_en/Content/3288351ddf664d2e.htm#d658222e5444

If you're not familiar with calibration, I made a short introductory video about it

Hope some of that helps!
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 08:04:12 pm »
Your measurements are almost certainly of the cable plus your UUT (whatever that is).

You need to do a SOLT calibration with the specific cables; that will remove the effect of the cable and the measurement should then show just you UUT.

Your "dB" measurements are meaningless without stating which parameters you are measuring, e.g. S11 or S21 etc.

I'm not sure what you intend to achieve by having two 50ohms in parallel.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 11:12:48 pm »
Of course, I understand the parasitic components of the cable and N-type to SMA adapter but should it be THAT bad?

This is rg316? Where did you get it? Some Chinese cables may have very different impedance, I remember one Chinese cable from aliexpress that has VSVR 1.3 at 30 MHz...  :)

Also T-tee connector with one unloaded output has pretty noticeable reflection at high frequency. Don't use it for VSVR measurements.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 11:16:24 pm by radiolistener »

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 11:08:49 pm »
Sorry for a long time, I didn't reply.
The SOL is the method to resolve that issue as you mentioned. Thank you guys.

(Attachment Link)

Transmission loss is 3.5dB and return loss would be 9.5dB.

Meant was the SOL-calibration you should do before your measurement.

Thank you for your advice. I was simulating return loss and expected results as transmission loss stupid beginner mistake.
I didn't perform SOL since back then I didn't have the equipment to do that.

This is rg316? Where did you get it? Some Chinese cables may have very different impedance, I remember one Chinese cable from aliexpress that has VSVR 1.3 at 30 MHz...  :)

Also T-tee connector with one unloaded output has pretty noticeable reflection at high frequency. Don't use it for VSVR measurements.

The cable was RG-316 from TE Connectivity

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf