Author Topic: Going down a regenerative rabbit hole in search of a Quiet circuit  (Read 840 times)

Offline jonovidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
moved from beginners
  before starting something that maybe a pointless exercise? do you know the answer to this? as I do not.
for most of us that can still remember, and are somewhat familiar with the single transistor 27MHz regenerative receivers used in toy  walkie talkies of the 1980s
and the extremely loud hissing when no in-coming signal was been received.
the question I have for the forum is this. can the current draw of a single transistor regenerative receiver determine its received signal strength?
assuming the regenerative circuit is stable. if so a squelch type of noise gate can be added to the regenerative circuit audio output by monitoring the regenerative supply voltage.

the particular regenerative circuit schematic I had in mind was the VHF regenerative receiver in this video.
its simple to make and get going. as the base of any regenerative experiment.

and if by adding a experimental DIY squelch circuit it?
its not so Mach finding or designing a squelch noise gate design. but determining if a single transistor regenerative receiver changes its current draw based on received signal strength?
if yes , I am looking at a 2 or more transistor or op-amp Schmitt trigger with a voltage reference circuit.  I can figure it out my myself.
and yes going down a regenerative rabbit hole in search of a quiet circuit that also adds to the component count.
if no! I have saved myself a pointless exercise and also by posting here others also.

update-
  perhaps a completed circuit is needed before posting hypothetical questions....  get back in  2 to 3 weeks time.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Going down a regenerative rabbit hole in search of a Quiet circuit
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 12:51:38 am »
I remember some 1980's walkie-talkie's. I wish I never took them apart as a kid, I wish they weren't thrown out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf