Author Topic: HAMS - Where do you buy your watertight "Outdoor Balun" boxes ?  (Read 1914 times)

Online bingo600Topic starter

• Super Contributor
I see all those nice DIY Balun's mounted in those "white plastic boxes w. gaskets".
What do i search for ??

I'd prefer some generic names/phrases , and not Digikey/Mouser etc. , as shipping + fees would make that impractical for me.
I have looked at electronic juncttion boxes , but they tend to have "semi pre cut holes".

Or maybe hints to eBay or Ali ...

/Bingo

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
Re: HAMS - Where do you buy your watertight "Outdoor Balun" boxes ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 09:51:04 am »
Search eBay for "ABS waterproof enclosure", you'll find plenty of options.

Example from here in the UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314120788134

Depending on the power you want to use, you might want to oversize the box so there's some room for air circulation inside, baluns get hot.

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, 5U4GB

Offline DrNefario

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 04:42:31 pm »
Search for Raculety Project Box IP65 Waterproof Junction Box.

The following users thanked this post: bingo600

Offline Geoff-AU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 12:22:34 pm »
I drill a 2mm hole in the bottom of my balun boxes.  There is always some breathing of enclosures over time due to temperature cycling.  It'll take years to be a problem, but eventually water finds a way in and then can't get out.  A small hole allows enough air circulation without allowing insects in.

Not worth obsessing over water-tightness, just make sure the hole is on the bottom and it won't fill up :)

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, biastee

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 01:36:33 pm »
If the hole bothers you, I tend to see ePTFE stickers ("adhesive vents") slapped over them in industrial settings. It won't stop water vapor from getting in and condensing, but it won't stop water vapor from evaporating out either, and it will probably stop insect life from building a nest in your box.

Offline 1design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 02:06:06 pm »
These are great for venting closed enclosures: https://www.gore.com/solutions-enclosure-pressure-relief

Offline profdc9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 05:11:27 am »
From USA big-box stores and Amazon, I use "Carlon" PVC junction boxes.  These have gaskets around the edge to seal where the panel attaches.

https://carlonsales.com/junctionboxes.php

If the coax connectors are silicone sealed, it's the gasket that leaks.  By placing the box such that the gasket edge is at the lowest point, any leaking of the gasket will drain the box.

It's also advisable to take other precautions such as adding drip loops to attached coax.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 05:13:13 am by profdc9 »

Offline SmallCog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 02:49:38 am »
For junction boxes that don't need a high reliability breather we use hydrophobic syringe filters. Simply drill a small hole and glue them into it with your preferred adhesive

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/AU/en/search/hydrophobic-filter?focus=products&page=1&perpage=30&sort=relevance&term=hydrophobic%20filter&type=product_name

Note that these may not be UV stable, we don't tend to put sun so it's not much of an issue for us but rather than glue them from the outside you could forseeably glue them from the inside of the box to both improve the appearance and shield it from UV damage.

Other types of syringe filters would work well too, it comes down to using hydrophobic to keep moisture out or using hydrophylic (or undescribed) to allow moisture to exit, but with a breather and a well sealed box there's less chance of moisture getting in other ways so I focus on keeping it out.

On higher reliability junction boxes we use desiccant containers with colour changing desiccant. Once the colour changes it can be replaced and the used desiccant (if desired) gently dried and reused.

If you have an electrical wholesaler in your area then a walk though their store may yield some good options for boxes

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf