Author Topic: Help me improve this power splitter  (Read 3963 times)

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

• Regular Contributor
Re: Help me improve this power splitter
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 06:51:18 am »
You can definitely reduce the space between the resistors further.

Here is an example of a board I found online. As you can see, the resistors are placed as closely as possible.

(You can also squeeze a little more performance by soldering the resistors upside down).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 06:54:26 am by EggertEnjoyer123 »

The following users thanked this post: biastee

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
Re: Help me improve this power splitter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2024, 10:32:56 pm »
Here a little bit smaller divider similar to the divider described in the S-4 manual on page 2-16.

It's not very to difficult to make. But soldering the three 16.5 ohm resistors requires a little bit patience.

I've made it for a little bit more relaxed TDR measurements to avoid to ruin my SD-24 sampling head with it's +-2V max input voltage. The 7K sampling heads like the S-6 has +-5V instead but it can be destroyed quite easy too if there is no absolute care to avoid electrostatic charges.

The used S-4 has +-5V max input voltage too, but with two HP 8493A 10 dB dividers the input is quite save. Due to the divider there is no need  for a loop thru (and hard to get) S-6 head.

There should be no problem to touch the DUT, because every voltage spike must thru the low impedance 50 ohm divider. Without dividers the spike would reach the sampling bridge first and destroys it and then it is absorbed by the 50 ohm termination. But this would be too late. The 50 ohm termination cannot protect the sampling bridge if it's behind.

The S-4 / S-52 / 7S12 runs in a 7854 mainframe, so it's easy to average the signal and make cursor measurements.

As shown the risetime is about 85ps, it's limited by the 12 GHz bw limit of the attenuator. There is no effect removing the divider regarding the risetime.

The DUT is a more or less 8 cm long 50 ohm cable, so the setup should be work fine down to 2 cm wires.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf