Author Topic: How the iPhone changed the RF-Filters. SAW to BAW to FBAR to SMR  (Read 1128 times)

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Enjoy:

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge, richnormand

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Re: How the iPhone changed the RF-Filters. SAW to BAW to FBAR to SMR
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 02:10:10 am »
Interesting, thanks for posting :)

We were fortunate to work directly with Dr. Ken Lakin of TFR Technologies in Bend, Or. with our first silicon fully integrated MW/MMW receivers and later transceivers back in early 90s.

Ken was one of the pioneers of early BAW technology, and patented the Back Side Passivated BAW devices which eliminated the need for the chemical etching for standard BAW devices.

We wanted to develop a fully integrated silicon receiver with the BAW preselector filter integrated directly onto the active silicon at the wafer level. AlN which was one of the BAW active materials is directly compatible with silicon, so this deemed plausible.

For our 1st step Ken developed separate AiN BAW filters which worked quite well, and very successful. However we never got the chance to develop the fully integrated versions as funding became scarce and more effort and $ were put towards the first MW/MMW SoC Transceivers.

Later TRF was acquired by Sawtek, which was then acquired by RFMD, then Qorvo I believe.

Recall there was also some SAW work done with GaAs back in 80s and 90s with a version which had tunable characteristics.

Anyway, very interesting technologies that you don't hear much about today, thanks for posting  :-+

Best, 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:13:54 am by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts, BrianHG

Online richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 03:15:50 am »
Thanks for posting. Brings back memories.
Did my master on SAW transducers (interdigital) using optical (laser) light diffraction from the surface acoustic waves on lithium niobate to do signal processing faster than conventional electronics at the time....

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 03:18:27 am by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 02:32:38 pm »
Thanks for posting. Brings back memories.
Did my master on SAW transducers (interdigital) using optical (laser) light diffraction from the surface acoustic waves on lithium niobate to do signal processing faster than conventional electronics at the time....

Vaguely remember the efforts with LiNbO3 SAWs doing Optical Processing, more details please!!

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 06:53:49 pm »
Would give you a fair period correct intro to the subject:

https://opg.optica.org/ao/abstract.cfm?uri=ao-22-18-2810
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf