Author Topic: I need a low cost VNA  (Read 12106 times)

Offline xzswq21Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I need a low cost VNA
« on: October 08, 2019, 08:08:21 pm »
Hello
I want to buy a low cost VNA bcoz I'm working with filters. I have found some VNAs such as VNWA, TinyVNA,...
which one is more reliable and better? I have to publish the results in IEEE.
(my budget is $500~$600)

Thanks
❤ ❤

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: I need a low cost VNA
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 08:17:02 pm »
Hello
I want to buy a low cost VNA bcoz I'm working with filters. I have found some VNAs such as VNWA, TinyVNA,...
which one is more reliable and better? I have to publish the results in IEEE.
(my budget is $500~$600)

Thanks
Frequency requirement ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:39:51 pm »
The great bargain is the nanoVNA.  It is very low in price and does an amazing job.  It has its limitations of course but for what they cost it's unbeatable.

For operation at low frequencies there is a converter from China that shifts the 0 - 2 MHz input signal up to 10 - 12 MHz.  I am tempted to buy one.  The nanoVNA goes down to 50 kHz, low enough for many applications.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:23:14 pm »
Some nanoVNA's are very poor at low frequencies. I have done a test here between the two different nanovna's I have:

The second to bottom chart shows the differences at low freq.
https://github.com/hendorog/nanovna_test/blob/master/NanoVNA%20comparison.ipynb

The white gecko branded one is much worse that the hugen supplied device. Hugen is this guy:
https://github.com/hugen79/NanoVNA-H

In general the hugen nanovna was good under 300MHz which is in the fundamental range of the PLL. Above that they both get progressively worse, and whether that matters depends on your use case.
Getting a good one isn't that easy. There are details about where to get them in hugen's github repo.

Also, the cal kits in these nanovnas do not come with characterisation data. You will need that or else your error correction is just in the 'near enough' bracket.
The bottom chart on this page shows this error when measuring a reference attenuator - the green trace is correct, and as measured by my cal kit supplier. The blue trace shows what a nanovna will display. The red trace is what I got from my 8753 when I removed the characterisation data from it - just as a double check.

https://github.com/hendorog/nanovna_test/blob/master/NanoVNA%20test.ipynb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 09:42:18 pm »
I have to publish the results in IEEE.

Irrelevant. If you publish a journal, maybe they need repeatability, and maybe traced calibration. For a conference proceeding, no one cares.
Actually working with filters is a part of my project. for example I make 50MHz filter so I want to know the response (s11 and s21) and print it. then I use the filters in my real signal generator and sampling device. I have heard VNWA 3 is very accurate but I'm not sure.
❤ ❤

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 10:02:19 pm »
How much dynamic range do you require?
VE7FM

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 07:36:22 am »

Irrelevant. If you publish a journal, maybe they need repeatability, and maybe traced calibration. For a conference proceeding, no one cares.

I doubt any of the more high-ranking conferences will let you in if you show a measurement setup using such a VNA. (I don't want to get into the debate on if that is acceptable or not - just pointing out my experiences with reviewing conference papers myself).

To the OP: If you want to publish with the IEEE, what is your background/field/reasoning? Do you work at a research group that is not well funded and thus doesn't have access to a 'real' (sorry for the term) VNA?

The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 08:58:10 am »
Some nanoVNA's are very poor at low frequencies. I have done a test here between the two different nanovna's I have:

you're needs to update with more fresh firmware. Old version have instability issues. My NanoVNA works great at low frequency. The best dynamic range from 10 kHz to 300 MHz, about 70 dB for S11 and about 80-90 dB for S21.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:04:22 am by radiolistener »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 09:25:57 am »

To the OP: If you want to publish with the IEEE, what is your background/field/reasoning? Do you work at a research group that is not well funded and thus doesn't have access to a 'real' (sorry for the term) VNA?
I want to measure the quality of my current source such as output impedance, SNR, passband and etc.
I've seen some researchers built signal generator using DDS and FPGA (even with low cost DDS ICs and Rigol Oscop!) and used them in their research with the IEEE or IOP Science (master or PHD thesis). so I built a Signal generator and Sampling device with Avent's board and Analog devices components. I can show the results for them (HD2 and HD3 and SNR and etc)
now I want to test the filters. when I build or montage a filter I should test it many times so I need a low cost VNA. the filters are used as Anti-aliasing filter. cut of frequency is 10MHz or 40MHz.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:35:41 am by xzswq21 »
❤ ❤

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 09:36:43 am »
now I want to test the filters. when I build or montage a filter I should test it many times so I need a low cost VNA.

If you're don't need more than 1 GHz, NanoVNA works good for such purposes. It cost 30-45 usd on aliexpress.

Here is NanoVNA low frequency measurement for 24 kHz ultrasonic transducer:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:38:16 am by radiolistener »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 09:47:55 am »
now I want to test the filters. when I build or montage a filter I should test it many times so I need a low cost VNA. the filters are used as Anti-aliasing filter. cut of frequency is 10MHz or 40MHz.
Do you have a DSO and a sig gen that can sweep ?
Learn how to do a Bode plot which can give you basic cutoff info.

https://youtu.be/uMH2hGvqhlE
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 09:55:58 am »
Here is my home-made BPF, tuned with NanoVNA for 145.3 MHz  ^-^

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 10:22:38 am »
It looks that my BPF works a little bad due to randomly untuned coil. A little tuning and now it's better ^-^

Amazingly, the price for device that allows to do that, is just 30-40 USD  :)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 11:15:01 am »
Beware.
You may want to see this about the nanoVNA (starting @ 2:05):

And discussion:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/nanovna-shielded-ebay-sellers/

Better choice (more expensive though):

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:18:15 am by MarkF »

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 12:21:11 pm »
Beware.
You may want to see this about the nanoVNA (starting @ 2:05):

I already seen that. I think this is pretty normal behavior. In my opinion the root of cause for that is the common mode current on the outer braid of coax cable, because he uses unbalanced antenna with no RF choke.

Different VNA have different ground, for example one has bigger metal case, another has smaller metal case. When you connect antenna to VNA with no RF choke, your VNA metal case will be a part of antenna. So, the antenna parameters will depends on metal case size and geometry. :)

In order to avoid that, he needs to use RF choke. I think with RF choke on coax cable he will get the same results on both VNA :)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 12:35:31 pm »
you're needs to update with more fresh firmware. Old version have instability issues. My NanoVNA works great at low frequency. The best dynamic range from 10 kHz to 300 MHz, about 70 dB for S11 and about 80-90 dB for S21.

(Attachment Link)

If you want that non-working red battery indicator to function you can install the missing diode on the board of the NanoVNA (D2 - SD103AWS-7 SCHOTTKY DIODE ).

851202-0

851206-1

851210-2
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 01:42:04 pm »
If you want that non-working red battery indicator to function you can install the missing diode on the board

Thanks, I know that. I just don't have proper size SMD diode, needs to buy... :)

Did you tested if this diode affects power consumption in power off mode?
Currently my nanovna eat 50 uA in power off mode.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:46:33 pm by radiolistener »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 03:31:51 pm »
Thanks, I know that. I just don't have proper size SMD diode, needs to buy... :)

I will test it and report back here ...  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 03:53:45 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Will do, that test was on the shipped firmware IIRC. But you should state which nanovna you have, as there are hardware differences too.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I updated the firmware to the latest edy555 on the google drive. It is still poor compared to my other nano below a few MHz (+/- 0.5 dB immediately after calibrating with port open) and is unusable below about 1MHz. Effective directivity is only about 25dB at 1 MHz - tested by leaving the load on after calibrating.

I also tested with the latest hugen AA firmware, and it is the same.

Possibly the decoupling caps are too small on this white gecko version I have. I got this very early, before many people were aware of them.
There is a clear roll off at low frequencies.

Which version do you have?

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 05:21:30 pm »
I updated the firmware to the latest edy555 on the google drive. It is still poor compared to my other nano below a few MHz (+/- 0.5 dB immediately after calibrating with port open) and is unusable below about 1MHz. Effective directivity is only about 25dB at 1 MHz - tested by leaving the load on after calibrating.

that's strange, I have about -70 dB for S11 from 10 kHz.
Below 10 kHz dynamic range drops down. At 2 kHz it's about 30-40 dB. But above 10 kHz it's ok.

851330-0

I'm using hugen79 hardware with custom firmware based on edy555 code (some fixes to make measurements more stable and get sweep with unlimited points from PC)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:25:57 pm by radiolistener »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 06:07:35 pm »

It's about the same - it fluctuates from 47 to 60 uA off.

On, it runs at around 150 mA.

The following users thanked this post: radiolistener

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 06:19:06 pm »

that's strange, I have about -70 dB for S11 from 10 kHz.
Below 10 kHz dynamic range drops down. At 2 kHz it's about 30-40 dB. But above 10 kHz it's ok.

(Attachment Link)

I'm using hugen79 hardware with custom firmware based on edy555 code (some fixes to make measurements more stable and get sweep with unlimited points from PC)

Aha. Then it is not strange at all. The point of my tests was to compare my hugen hardware with my white gecko hardware.

If you revisit the link in my original post (added again below) you will see a flat line in the middle of the chart - that is the hugen hardware. The wiggly blue line is the white gecko hardware. This test is with the port open and is from 10kHz to 6MHz.

Second last chart on this link
https://github.com/hendorog/nanovna_test/blob/master/NanoVNA%20comparison.ipynb

Not all nanovna's are the same. On groups.io there are some people who are affected by confirmation bias, and insist that their white geckos perform the same as the hugen unit. Not true.

Is your stability fix is to improve the issue with wide spans and large step sizes that I identified in the joeqsmith thread?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 08:35:47 pm »
can I buy a second hand VNA on eBay?
wish I had a setup that could generate a signal and  capture the response!
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=network%20analyser&_sacat=0&_udhi=700&_sop=16&rt=nc

Why NASA used a VNWA in their experiment?! watch @26m50s

:-DMM
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:04:15 pm by xzswq21 »
❤ ❤

Offline virtualparticles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 05:17:57 pm »
The ultra low-cost, "cheap" VNAs tend to be very drifty and of course there is no metrology to back up any claims of accuracy. Without accuracy it is difficult to make any claims at all about measurements that are made. I believe the best value on the market is the TR1300 from Copper Mountain Technologies. These are backed by an ISO17025 certified lab with traceability to NIST.

https://coppermountaintech.com/vna/tr1300-1-2-port-1-3-ghz-analyzer/

I don't usually do blatant marketing here but I believe I am answering the question.

Thanks!

Brian

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf