Author Topic: labflex 200 connector (26.5+ GHz for 0.195 shield) problem (high spec rg400?)  (Read 2026 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
So I want to repair a broke lab flex cable connector (it fell with an antenna tripod and got jammed so the nut wont turn). I cut off the connector but I realized a problem

It looks like a RG cable with higher rating. The shield diameter is 0.195, which is the same as rg400, but the problem is if you try to search, only 18GHz cables come up. What do I search for to get a connector compatible to 0.195 shield but with the better frequency rating?   :wtf:

or maybe it was just a 18GHz connector that was rated for 31GHz as a cable. Is there such a SMA connector at 0.195 barrel, or is this don quixote ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 10:55:42 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
looks like its 18GHz connector, they don't sell a higher rated finished cable of the same type. No need for higher frequency, I just wanted to make sure I keep it within specification.

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
If the cable was specified for 26.5 GHz, then there must be connectors for 26.5 GHz (what were the connectors?)
Upload photos?

• Super Contributor
  • $
nah the cable is specified for 31 but the cable assembly from manufacturer is 18GHz

maybe you can get higher with a different connector but they don't sell 3.5mm for more then 18ghz on that cable size. Maybe 2.9 or apc has a connector for that, but I just wanted it the way it was before failure
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 09:02:16 pm by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
wow this cable is really weird, the dielectric is what looks to be tightly wound plumbers tape. I guess it aids in flex, but wow. Its braid over aluminized mylar over what looks like used car lot ribbons over packed teflon tape over a solid wire. Feels SO dodgy to work on.

I think you can make DIY hardline cable by winding plumber tape over a wire and wrapping it with copper tape or stuffing it in the right diameter plumbing lol, my work bench looks like it got TPed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 02:40:31 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
I wonder if you can do an Apollo 13 repair with teflon tape to repair a microwave link cable with minimal tools.

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
wow this cable is really weird, the dielectric is what looks to be tightly wound plumbers tape. I guess it aids in flex, but wow. Its braid over aluminized mylar over what looks like used car lot ribbons over packed teflon tape over a solid wire. Feels SO dodgy to work on.

I think you can make DIY hardline cable by winding plumber tape over a wire and wrapping it with copper tape or stuffing it in the right diameter plumbing lol, my work bench looks like it got TPed

I believe that kind of dielectric is not super uncommon in highly flexible cables. It is always all a tradeoff between loss, flexibility, repeatability, and cost. Using precision wrapped cores like that could result in a much more flexible cable since they can slide over eachother a bit. Usually during cable design, they take care that the distance between the different wraps is much smaller than the wavelegnth, because otherwise you can get strange notches in the frequency response of the cable. Same is true for wrapped outer conductors using silver-plated foils. They have to control the force during wrapping and the pitch very well to ensure good cable performance. Very high frequency cables tend to start putting the foil wrap length wise, so you put multiple pieces of foil in the length of the cable, and then wrap it with the outer braid to keep it in place. Gives lower loss, higher frequency performance, but at the cost of flexibility and bending life.

Just because it is made that way does not mean it is easy to repair. After all, you can think of coaxial cables as a conductive rod with non-coductive wrapping and then some more conductor. Doesn't mean you can make a 30 GHz coaxial cable with some gardening tools though.

As to the reason why they don't have higher frequency 3.5 mm connectors available for that cable: They usually have a limited set of connector types with specific outer diameters. It might not be make financial sense to make a custom version of a high-frequency 3.5 mm connector for this specific outer diameter, and instead just switch to 2.92 mm instead (which they might also be able to use on other cables that go to say 40 GHz).

Gore, H+S, Amphenol, etc all sell cables with connectors that cannot reach the maximum specified frequency of the cable. EG, Gore 50 GHz phaseflex with 3.5 mm or 2.92 mm connectors, H+S Sucoflex 102 (rated to 46 GHz iirc) with N connectors, etc etc.

It's simply easier to design a cable that is good to 50 GHz, and use it for a number of assemblies from 10->50 GHz, than make a specific cable for each type. Coaxial extrusion dies for these kinds of applications can run in to the tens or even hundreds of thousands of euros to manufacture.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 11:02:33 am by TheUnnamedNewbie »
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

• Super Contributor
  • $
hmm, regardless it seems like it might be interesting to try to make a wrapped coaxial cable. Yes, I do think the strips are length wise because it does not unravel well.

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
When making cables for such high frequencies, precision is needed, and precision means using the right tools. Connectors for such high frequency are earned with appropriate tools and then measured on VNA. You can earn such connectors at home (2.92mm 1.85mm etc), but you will not know its parameters. The question is, what do you use it for, if for the measurements such a cable becomes a puzzle to some extent. But if you measure in such high frequencies, you should have access to VNA ~ 50 GHz

PS
RG40x cables are connection cables, not measurement cables. Combine well - forget it.

• Super Contributor
  • $
I only have up to 20GHz at the moment, if the connectors were no so expensive I would try to mess around. If I ever need to shorten these cables I might try it

• Super Contributor
  • $
How important is the termination on this cable? I see that this connector has a step to it, so you need to strip the outer shield to a certain distance then strip the inner shield . But there is a metalized Mylar ribbon inside the cable between the inner and outer braid, thats a bit difficult to trim properly so that it sits right under the outer shield. it seems that the braid gets a bit ruffled when sliding on the connector

Is this ribbon important to have millimeter cutting precision? I would love to do experiments if it was not 60$ a connector :palm:

Anyone feel like their dealing with the stones from the fifth element here? :-DD
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 01:39:18 pm by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
well, its not necessary that this repair need to occur at the highest frequencies, I wonder what performance you can get from a roll of teflon tape to fix a slightly too short coaxial cable. I think experiments can be done with cheap BNC connectors.

Not sure if this was ever a problem in the history of mankind however. Maybe I will bother trying if I come across a coaxial cable I was going to throw away because of damage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf