Author Topic: Microchip RN2483 LoRa module - what to do with unused antenna port?  (Read 938 times)

Offline TomS_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all.

I am designing a little personal project using an RN2483. Im based in Europe so I dont need (cant use) the 433MHz antenna.

What should I do with that antenna port if I am not going to use it? Im no RF expert, but I believe it should be terminated if not used or connected to an antenna. Should I "simply route it through a 50ohm resistor to ground"?

Thanks!

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Microchip RN2483 LoRa module - what to do with unused antenna port?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 04:59:24 pm »
One of the Microchip demo boards, which is 833 only, just has a controlled impedance 50 trace to a large via from the look of it, it isn't terminated.

You can always use the Wireless design check service from Microchip, which is free.  Bottom of the page https://www.microchip.com/en-us/support/design-help/design-check-services

The following users thanked this post: TomS_

Offline TomS_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Microchip RN2483 LoRa module - what to do with unused antenna port?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 10:59:06 am »
it isn't terminated.

Interesting.

I wonder if the unused radio is simply disabled then (perhaps based on the configured frequency). The datasheet is not clear about what happens.

The big via might just be so you can solder on an antenna. A previous topic I started around this module seemed to come to the conclusion that it would probably even work without an attached antenna, even if not strictly technically correct. My plan therefore is to use a piece of wire "about the right length" soldered to a pad immediately at the output from the radio module and hope for the best.  ^-^

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf