Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

NanoVNA Custom Software

<< < (241/261) > >>

joeqsmith:

--- Quote from: bobinuta on July 11, 2021, 08:38:41 am ---Good morning Mr. Smith,
Thank you for the reply and comments!
--- End quote ---

Thanks for hanging in there.   

I suspect you don't always look at the attachments which leads to some of your confusion. 

--- Quote ---Mr. Smith, in other software it is not stipulated directly, but it can be seen from their use. As an example, NanoVNA-Saver or VNWA-3 software. When you calibrate the device, the sweep is turned on automatically only when the calibration standards are applied and when the user presses the corresponding buttons. After completing the calibration operations, the sweep is inactive and can be turned on by the user when needed.
--- End quote ---

I looked at one of the very first open sourced programs when they had just started to develop it to make sure it connected and provide that feedback.  Outside of that, I've only looked at the software supplied with the low cost VNAs.   I wrote the original software 20 some years ago and continue to develop it.  I show the software from 2002 working with my first VNA and a home made converter.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-e835xa-pna-vna-notes/msg3604844/#msg3604844 

Outside of using an 8753, at that time I had no other experience with VNAs or their UI.     

--- Quote ---Mr. Smith, again - it is clear that you designed the software first for your personal use (maybe some friends) and probably without the intention of giving it in that form to others. Therefore, its use is less intuitive.
In the case of the series products, most manufacturers have implemented similar functions and modes of operation, to reduce the learning curve and to ensure that the potential buyer (user) will not be discouraged.
--- End quote ---

I try to discourage people from using my software.  It's free.   Support, well if you you can't do your own research or even be bothered to review the materials provided, expect to be called out.  While user's (especially the amateur radio group) view themselves as customers, I don't.  This is my business model.   :-DD     If you can make use of it, fine. 

--- Quote ---I already understood you, it remains to be seen how you will want to treat what you started, if you want to help amateurs with items from the pro area and if observations such as those made by me can cause you to add details to the user manual which you may not have thought of.
Obviously, it's up to you first  :)
--- End quote ---

The majority of amateur radio operators who have contacted me have made it clear that they are entitled, demanding, like to whine and their license makes them an expert.  It's a really an odd trend and not what I would have expected.  I have no interest in working with such people at any level.   

--- Quote --- And also, although you posted pictures in the manual, the fact that you have to use ChnRef ON to calibrate and OFF after that, is less visible (although you are right that you wrote about it).
--- End quote ---

Odd that you are still not understanding the Chn-Ref.   You would never set Chn-Ref ON before running a SOLT.  Of course, the software will allow it and assumes you know what you are doing.   With so many videos walking you through the basics and my continuing to point out you're not understanding it, I am surprised. 

--- Quote ---Believe me, I also turned to a friend with experience in the field, who did not "catch" the trick of using your software, even after 15 minutes of remote session on my PC.
It's like switching from HP/Anritsu to R&S.  8)

--- End quote ---

With you showing them the ropes, it doesn't surprise me at all. 

--- Quote ---Later, you can also do something else, if you like: extra paid support. You can get an advanced edition of the manual, which includes more examples and detailed explanations, for a fee. If it has an affordable price, people will definitely buy it.
--- End quote ---

You have no idea of the time and effort I have put into testing handheld DMMs.  Sure the meters cost money as well but that's hardly worth mentioning.  I have never asked people to join my non-existent  Patrion, click that bell, subscribe and like, and ads are disabled.  Outside of the EEVBLOG, I have no social media presence, no twittbook accounts.  I have never asked anything from my followers other than not to whine.   If people get something out of what I post great.  Don't like the content, find a better channel.  I work on what I want, when I want and once in a while share it.   

--- Quote ---Regarding normalization, if it has the same meaning as the one I used for the old HP8714B, then you may have already understood ;-)
There, the procedure has been named "Normalization Calibration".
The analyzer stores measured data taken ( DUT not connected) into memory, and divides subsequent measured data by the stored data in order to remove frequency response errors. On that device, the normalization calibration could be used either for transmission or for a reflection measurement. At the end of the procedure, the DUT is inserted and when starting sweep, the data displayed is the transmission coefficient for the DUT (including all the connectors and cables) divided by the transmission coefficient for the connectors and cables alone.

So, do you think that in the case of your software, the normalization process does the same thing?

--- End quote ---

My first VNA was all mechanical.  The storage normalizer was an add-on and allows subtracting the reference (and a few other tricks).  There was no means to run a SOLT calibration.  Or course, add a PC with some software and that can be resolved.  Of course, normalize still has its place and why I continue to support it.   

--- Quote ---Believe me I know and understand this aspect. I am also an engineer, but not in the RF field.
--- End quote ---

On this forum, Dave has made it clear that everyone is an engineer who wants to call themselves such.   So, sure.  When I talk about engineers in the context of my software, I am assuming they hold a BS or MS in EE.   Again, I'm not suggesting that it is required but that is the target audience (of one). 

Cleanup. 

Also, thinking about paid support.   A friend of mine had brought me a product they had bought used and asked if I could check it out.   It worked really well and I was so impressed with the design I got in touch with the company who produced it as it was no longer being offered.  I spoke with sales as well as the designer explaining how impressed I was and how I was so surprised they stopped selling it.   

What had happened is they made a very nice product and sold it to a market that had no clue how to use it.  They were so swamped with trying to answer the basic questions (IMO it had a well written manual) that they could not focus other parts of the business.  So they dropped it.   

joeqsmith:
I've been looking back into the lockup problems that caused me to pack up the V2Plus.   Enough time had passed I wanted to see if the new firmware addressed the problem.  Attached picture is showing the version I am currently testing (nothing more than staying connected and collecting data).   If this version will stay running for 24 hours non-stop, I will have a look to see if has any problems that would prevent it's use with my software.

https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2/topic/84446397?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,,,20,2,0,84446397

I wonder if the people writing the firmware are even aware that they addressed the lockup problem or if they just got lucky.   :-DD    If you enjoy endlessly reprogramming your devices and wasting time hunting problems like this one,  I highly recommend these low cost VNAs.   Endless fun. :-DD :palm:

missing words...

Alextsu:
Hi, Joe,
There is now an alternative FW for all V2-2 versions, ported from NanoVNA by Dislord,
check this link

https://groups.io/g/nanovna-users/topic/84427595

Though haven't tried it yet

joeqsmith:

--- Quote from: Alextsu on July 27, 2021, 06:17:30 am ---Hi, Joe,
There is now an alternative FW for all V2-2 versions, ported from NanoVNA by Dislord,
check this link

https://groups.io/g/nanovna-users/topic/84427595

Though haven't tried it yet

--- End quote ---

I had spent a fair bit of time trying some of their firmware on an H4 I had purchased recently.  I would have no reason to try their firmware on other devices.   If you are interested in reading more about that testing:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3579600/#msg3579600

The V2Plus has ran for 24 hours using various settings without a single lockup.   :-+  It's never been this stable.   Next step is to see if it will put out some good numbers. 

If you don't have access to the groups.io because of their dick move to lock it, use the mirrored site:
https://nanorfe.com/forum/V2-Plus-Firmware.html

JohnG:
Thanks for the software and the excellent documentation. I have had no trouble following the instructions and getting the software up and running with my NanoVNA V2Plus4.

I do have one difficulty, which has to do with readability. On my Win 10 computer with 1600 x 1200 monitor, the software window is small and hard to read. After playing with many settings,  the only workaround I can find is to change the monitor resolution to 1280 x 800, which helps some, but messes up my Windows desktop (rearranges the icons), and adds a little blur to the display.

Do you know if this is a fundamental limitation of the National Instruments platform used to develop the software? If so, I can at least quit fiddling with it.

Thanks,
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version