Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

NanoVNA Custom Software

<< < (265/283) > >>

joeqsmith:
So I was close to cutting it loose, but someone had asked about adding additional features for characterizing amplifiers. 

https://nanorfe.com/forum/Preview-of-my-latest-software-updates.html

For just adding the B factory mentioned, it's a simple enough thing to do.  Maybe use the two scales off the main plot.    Adding the stability circles may be more difficult depending what people would want to see.  Also seems like other stability factors may be useful...   I think I would end up just adding a whole new tab to the advanced menu specifically for amplifier design. 

With these low cost VNAs not being a 2-port analyzer,  we are back to needing a transfer relay.   Or OWO needs to move ahead...  :-+ 

Just curious if anyone here has any interest in such a feature.  If so, any thought on how to present the data?  Any tools you are currently using? 

joeqsmith:
Adding something like this on a separate tab would be simple enough.  Maybe allow user to select between gain and stability circles on the same graphs...  I try to keep the basics on that main menu and jamming it onto that may be a bit much.     

Alextsu:

--- Quote from: joeqsmith on October 23, 2021, 06:24:11 pm ---Adding something like this on a separate tab would be simple enough.  Maybe allow user to select between gain and stability circles on the same graphs...  I try to keep the basics on that main menu and jamming it onto that may be a bit much.   

--- End quote ---

Hi, Joe,
that would be great to see this new stability analysys features.
The basic idea behind the request I've posted was to have several graphs, as described in this introductory paper by Les Besser:
https://designingelectronics.com/pdfs/AvoidingRFOscillation.pdf

This would utilise K-factor, B-factor (aka the determinant of the S-matrix), and the mu-factor.

Other graphs, including the  Source & Load stability circles, might be helpful in case the more detailed study is needed.

From available books about VNA Measurements, some good examples could be taken, f.e., from
Joel Dunsmore's
Handbook of Microwave Component Measurements

others examples could be taken, f.e.,  from NI-AWR software or Keysight ADS documentation, etc.

Alex

joeqsmith:
Are you using these tools (ADS AWR) today?  It may be helpful to see some screenshots of how you would like the data formatted.  It may also be helpful for you to go through an example using these tools. 

Also, I am very curious what you are using for your setup?  Which VNA, transfer relay?   Could you post a picture?   You're the first person that I've seen mention using, or wanting to use all four S-parameters.   

Shown are both the stability and mapping circles.  They, along with the readouts are selected by the cursor.   

joeqsmith:
After some thought, the plan is to add onto the 2-Port Plot tab. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version