Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 465222 times)

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #875 on: March 31, 2021, 05:05:12 am »
Mr. Smith,
I was going to mention it, but entering a baud rate (0 wasn't working) and selecting a com port took seconds.

Waiting on a few parts for tester.

Peter

Offline cyp_eev

• Contributor
« Reply #876 on: March 31, 2021, 07:59:52 am »
Hello Mr. Smith!

Thanks for sharing your software. Great job!  :-+

Yesterday I installed both versions, although I don't have the NanoVNA V2+, but needed the Labview runtime for the original NanoVNA.
I'm living in Germany, so Windows is (stupidly) using ","(comma) as decimal separator. I'm not familiar with Labview, but it seems that the conversion from strings to numbers you are using is dependent on the windows regional settings for numbers.
So I had to change these settings to explicitly use "." as decimal separator to run the program. Thats not a big problem, but I thought that maybe you can change the conversion you are using, making it independent.

Many thanks,
Cyprian

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #877 on: March 31, 2021, 12:09:14 pm »
Hello Mr. Smith!

Thanks for sharing your software. Great job!  :-+

Yesterday I installed both versions, although I don't have the NanoVNA V2+, but needed the Labview runtime for the original NanoVNA.
I'm living in Germany, so Windows is (stupidly) using ","(comma) as decimal separator. I'm not familiar with Labview, but it seems that the conversion from strings to numbers you are using is dependent on the windows regional settings for numbers.
So I had to change these settings to explicitly use "." as decimal separator to run the program. Thats not a big problem, but I thought that maybe you can change the conversion you are using, making it independent.

Many thanks,
Cyprian

LabView uses Window's regional settings.  Yes, the software could be changed to perform conversions on all of the numerical data.     

• Super Contributor
« Reply #878 on: March 31, 2021, 12:21:23 pm »
I was going to mention it, but entering a baud rate (0 wasn't working) and selecting a com port took seconds.

Per the manual and videos, the BAUD rate has no effect but it sounds like entering 0 causes a problem.  I am guessing the call to open the port doesn't like that.

Not mentioning problems you find will certainly make it easier for me to ignore them.   :-DD  While I have no plans to add additional features (unless there is some experiment I want to run), I would consider addressing problems. 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #879 on: March 31, 2021, 01:59:04 pm »
Re baud rate... Sometimes on start up the baud rate would show as zero. Selecting the correct com port would not enable the link. Entering 115200 would then link nicely.
No problem when start up gives me 115000. Seems random.

Not mentioning problems you find will certainly make it easier for me to ignore them.
I didn't want to bug you.

I would consider addressing problems.
Author, prepare thyself.

Peter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #880 on: March 31, 2021, 03:46:08 pm »
Re baud rate... Sometimes on start up the baud rate would show as zero. Selecting the correct com port would not enable the link. Entering 115200 would then link nicely.
No problem when start up gives me 115000. Seems random.

Not mentioning problems you find will certainly make it easier for me to ignore them.
I didn't want to bug you.

I would consider addressing problems.
Author, prepare thyself.

Peter

I doubt the code is changing the BAUD rate at random.  I suspect it's the human who does take note of what they are doing and changing their process.     

The program initialized the settings (including the BAUD) when the default settings file was invalid.   If the file was valid, it would not initialize.    So if you created a defaults files with a valid BAUD rate of say 9600, the next time you run the program it loads this file, sees it is valid and doesn't update the BAUD, so it remains at the default of 115K.  If however you selected a non-existing default file or there was a problem with the file, it would initialize the BAUD to 0.  I suspect VISA sends out an error when you try to open a comm port with a BAUD rate of 0.  I tried it and indeed it does flag an error.    If you find that the display settings are indeed random, then there is a major problem with LabView. 

Asking about legitimate problems is fine.  Just make sure you document the steps to replicate the problem. 

I have no plans to add additional features.  Functions that are still not completed most likely will not be worked on anytime in the near future.   With it being an engineering tool for my own use,  features are added if there is some test I want to run that requires a software change.   
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:03:10 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline cyp_eev

• Contributor
« Reply #881 on: March 31, 2021, 04:15:58 pm »
LabView uses Window's regional settings.  Yes, the software could be changed to perform conversions on all of the numerical data.     

But please don't get me wrong, you don't have to change it, I just thought it's maybe worth mentioning and because it's not specified in the manual. The workaround is very simple.  :)

I'm also writing software for the NanoVNA for my own (specific) applications and had similar problems, but I'm using C#
I was just curious testing your software for comparative measurements.

There is only one more little thing I have noticed, probably also LabView specific :
Disconnecting the COM Port (by pushing the Link button) does not really work. It's shown disconnected, but the COM port is not accessible for other application as long as the program is still running.

Keep the great and inpiring work going!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #882 on: March 31, 2021, 05:58:30 pm »

But please don't get me wrong, you don't have to change it, I just thought it's maybe worth mentioning and because it's not specified in the manual. The workaround is very simple.  :)

I'm also writing software for the NanoVNA for my own (specific) applications and had similar problems, but I'm using C#
I was just curious testing your software for comparative measurements.

There is only one more little thing I have noticed, probably also LabView specific :
Disconnecting the COM Port (by pushing the Link button) does not really work. It's shown disconnected, but the COM port is not accessible for other application as long as the program is still running.

Keep the great and inpiring work going!

Believe me when I say, I know I don't have to change it.

I would assume that most Windows PC users know if they select a region that uses commas rather than than a decimal that this is how it will work.   If you like the decimal, don't select regions that don't use it.  No matter what you select for your region, it has no effect on the data the software produces.  It's just how you choose to enter and have it presented.   You're right, it is very simple.   It was never in the scope of the manual to help educate people on the basics of how to use a computer.     

From the manual:

This manual assumes the reader is PC literate and has some basic understanding of how a VNA works.  It is not a learner’s guide on using a VNA and offers no assistance into solving basic computer related problems.   

and of course

This software can be viewed as an engineering tool at best.  Its primary use was to extend the author's understanding of V2+.  It was never intended to be used as a general tool for radio hobbyist’s to tune their antennas. The software is fairly buggy and not very robust.  Even under normal conditions, expect to run into several problems if attempting to use this software. It’s a very poor choice for the beginner.

Yes, LabView does have a problem closing the comm ports.   If you start LabView, then run a program that uses a comm port, then close that program down.  As long as LabView remains running, that port is locked.  They may have addressed it on newer versions.  I never looked into it.    Funny that you mention C# as from what I remember, they had rewrote the comm port, guessing because some software person thought it would make things so much better.   It broke pretty much every serial port I had.   Even if Windows supported the hardware, LabView would not work with it.  I changed to FTDI, tossed all the other hardware and moved on.   This problem you mention may have cropped up at that time.   

If you wonder why I use LV 2011 when it's so old and the latest is free (for home use), it's because I know about most of the problems with it and the new versions don't really offer anything that would be of benefit to me.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #883 on: March 31, 2021, 06:13:32 pm »

I doubt the code is changing the BAUD rate at random.  I suspect it's the human who does take note of what they are doing and changing their process.

Yes. I'm sure it's me. Fresh out of the zip file it defaults to 0, but saving 115k sees it there on next reboot.
Is it supposed to save the com port? If yes, then mine doesn't. Still not a problem.

If you find that the display settings are indeed random, then there is a major problem with LabView.

Maybe I'm just being a bellend.

Asking about legitimate problems is fine.  Just make sure you document the steps to replicate the problem. 

There is nothing at all that irks me.The workarounds are intuitive and simple. There will be no frivolous requests.

I have no plans to add additional features.

Should I find anything lacking, I'll keep it to myself.

Peter

Offline cyp_eev

• Contributor
« Reply #884 on: March 31, 2021, 07:43:50 pm »
No matter what you select for your region, it has no effect on the data the software produces.  It's just how you choose to enter and have it presented.   You're right, it is very simple.   It was never in the scope of the manual to help educate people on the basics of how to use a computer.     

The software produces no data at all when it is used with regional settings that don't use "." as decimal separator.
Maybe I wasn't able to described the problem very clear. Parsing/converting the data from the NanaVNA (and generally from any instrument and peripherial device using ASCII) should be culture insensitive, otherwise (in this case) the software reads 0-0i. Using the binary protocol for the NanoVNA V2 was a good choice.

So I was not refering to the way I'm entering decimal numbers, with "." or ",". That works fine.

Funny that you mention C# as from what I remember, they had rewrote the comm port, guessing because some software person thought it would make things so much better.   It broke pretty much every serial port I had.   

I can't complain about serial ports in C#, but it took some time get it working stable.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #885 on: March 31, 2021, 08:08:07 pm »
The software produces no data at all when it is used with regional settings that don't use "." as decimal separator.
Maybe I wasn't able to described the problem very clear.

I didn't get that from your first post. That's very interesting.  I will try it out as it seems very unexpected. Sounds like you believe the problem is due to the Nano pushing ASCII that uses the decimal point rather than the comma.   This could very well be the case and would be an easy fix if this is what is going on.  Now that I understand let me get back with you on it.   

Yes. I'm sure it's me. Fresh out of the zip file it defaults to 0, but saving 115k sees it there on next reboot.
Is it supposed to save the com port? If yes, then mine doesn't. Still not a problem.

Until I release a new update, rest assured is not intelligent and will not fix itself.   You can save but it will not load the file. 

Fresh out of the ZIP there is no default settings file.  As I previously explained, it will see this as valid file even though you don't have one and initialize the BAUD to 0.   Once you create a valid file, the software thinks it is not valid and runs with the factory settings.  For the BAUD rate, that's 115k.   Try it.  Repeat the steps you describe but instead of saving 115k, save some other value.  Try 300.   I assume reboot does not mean an actual system reboot.  If you are actually rebooting, then why?   Restart the program, does it show 300 or 115k? 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #886 on: March 31, 2021, 09:05:40 pm »
Yeah... re-starting the software.
Saved 300 baud to defaults, re started and came back with 115k.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #887 on: April 01, 2021, 12:04:04 am »

I tried it and sure enough.  No problem though.  Open the .INI file and add the line:

useLocaleDecimalPt=False

Rerun the application.  It will then use a decimal as it should regardless of the regional settings. 

Yeah... re-starting the software.
Saved 300 baud to defaults, re started and came back with 115k.
So the bug does not have a bug and the software is not as random as was first suggested. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #888 on: April 01, 2021, 02:15:19 am »
Both the manual and software have been updated.   The software corrects the bug when loading the defaults.  The manual has a few minor updates which now includes a comment about the regional settings and how to modify the INI file.    I have also released 1.0 of the software for the V2+4 which is based on the same common code and corrects a few problems discovered during the port.   

Offline cyp_eev

• Contributor
« Reply #889 on: April 01, 2021, 05:28:41 am »
I tried it and sure enough.  No problem though.  Open the .INI file and add the line:

useLocaleDecimalPt=False

Rerun the application.  It will then use a decimal as it should regardless of the regional settings. 

It works, thank you!  :)

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #890 on: April 01, 2021, 06:53:47 am »
So the bug does not have a bug and the software is not as random as was first suggested.

In my defence, there is very little between my ears.

Cheers
Peter

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #891 on: April 01, 2021, 10:11:15 am »
r13 manual proof read.
I missed 'summery' the first time around. It should of course be summary.
Also a couple of very minor niggles.
Let me know if you want it uploaded.

peter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #892 on: April 01, 2021, 11:01:11 am »
Github has an issue tracking feature if you would like to start using it. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #893 on: April 04, 2021, 05:57:46 pm »
While porting my other VNA software to use the new common code, I noticed a few major problems with both the original and V2+ programs.  These have now been corrected. 

Note that I combined both into a single repository.  The repository for the original hardware has been removed.   

The following users thanked this post: purpose

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #894 on: April 08, 2021, 12:27:15 pm »
Just a quick note.
My NanoVNA H4 arrived, I then loaded the latest Dislord firmware (1.0.53 with 401 data points) into it.
Lo and behold it behaves itself very nicely with Mr. Smith's software, which eats up the extra data with ease.
3D charts take a little longer to display, but that would be expected.

Toodle pip.
Peter
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:33:00 pm by purpose »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #895 on: April 08, 2021, 11:19:55 pm »
Just a quick note.
My NanoVNA H4 arrived, I then loaded the latest Dislord firmware (1.0.53 with 401 data points) into it.
Lo and behold it behaves itself very nicely with Mr. Smith's software, which eats up the extra data with ease.
Good to know.  Also smart idea to document the firmware. 

Jankae's unit appears to be available but I'm a bit uncomfortable with some of their description.   Software seems lacking and I'm not sure if they have it open to where I could port mine over to run with it.   I wonder how it would compare with my old Agilent.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002428364525.html

Speaking of the Agilent, I finished up the port which lead to a few more changes to the software.  I've added a few new features, finished up some of the other features and made a few enhancements.  The changes have now been wrapped back into the Nano software.  I need to update the manual and plan to make a short video showing the differences.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #896 on: April 09, 2021, 11:07:17 am »
Morning,

Jankae's unit appears to be available but I'm a bit uncomfortable with some of their description.

A £350 punt is a little more spicy than £50.
100dB dynamic range is attractive (up to 3GHz), as is the 3 in 1 VNA, sig gen and spectrum analyser choice.
It might be the answer, but might also be a donkey.

I wonder how it would compare with my old Agilent.

Only one way to find out. I'll chip in if you fancy a gamble.

Speaking of the Agilent, I finished up the port which lead to a few more changes to the software.  I've added a few new features, finished up some of the other features and made a few enhancements.  The changes have now been wrapped back into the Nano software.  I need to update the manual and plan to make a short video showing the differences.

Marvellous

Peter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #897 on: April 09, 2021, 11:48:05 am »
If the software is like the first two I looked at and the interface is not well documented, it could be a waste of time.  Odd they didn't provide a link to the designer's Github project.   If you read my early posts on the V2+, OWO pointed out the need to add the cross coupling to the calibration model.  I wonder how many of the problems (port mismatch between ports, poor performance above 3GHz....) are a result of the software. 

I haven't spent enough time looking into if it can be used for narrow band parts.  IMO, that was a big miss with the V2Plus design. 

It may be worth waiting to see if the designer comes out with a third generation that improves some of the performance problems.   We may also find that the open source software starts to support it.   At $500, I doubt you will see much hype from the radio group about the next antenna analyzer.   If they were smart, they would drop some of these off to the main RF channels to do a review on.   I'm sure that would clear up a lot of the unknowns.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #898 on: April 09, 2021, 12:03:39 pm »
Just a quick note.

Hi Peter!
I have the same H4 as yours and I also downloaded Dislord Firmware 1.0.53.  Does not work for me Mr. SMITH's Software! Can you give me advice? Now I get this status when connecting Nanovna

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #899 on: April 09, 2021, 12:54:26 pm »
It may be worth waiting to see if the designer comes out with a third generation that improves some of the performance problems.

Makes perfect sense. I'm in no rush whatsoever.

If they were smart, they would drop some of these off to the main RF channels to do a review on.   I'm sure that would clear up a lot of the unknowns.

Quite. Anyone know the designer?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf