Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 462814 times)

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1825 on: March 03, 2022, 02:24:01 am »
I knew that LV11 had been used. Your discussion of 64-bit version and the program's new name suggested you were updating program as you develop next version. Correct?

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1826 on: March 03, 2022, 02:44:31 am »
I knew that LV11 had been used. Your discussion of 64-bit version and the program's new name suggested you were updating program as you develop next version. Correct?

Correct 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1827 on: March 03, 2022, 02:46:51 am »
Flipper's transfer relay is NOS.  He cheated with an OTS DC-DC rather than rolling it from scratch.   It's a much nicer setup than mine. 

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1828 on: March 03, 2022, 01:47:21 pm »
What version of Labview are you using to create the program?

Re: Getting started with hardware.  Versions and connection success.
1. Versions
"THIS IS NOT THE LATEST RELEASE AND ONLY SUPPORTS THE V2 PLUS. IT SHOULD BE INSTALLED FIRST!"
I've installed and am running the program. Indicates it is Rev 0.10.
Where is Rev 2.05 & 2.07 as shown in manual?

2. Connection state looking good.
Windows Device manager sees the nanos' connections.  As stated in manual, this install(0.10) links with the v2plus4 but not the original nano. I look forward to comparing results from the two.

Make sure you select the correct branch.   
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4021102/#msg4021102

Of course....
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4021555/#msg4021555
But that message is still clear as mud -sorry-. Why not write down some simple steps that people can follow instead of needing to find bits of information in documents, this forum and videos? The problem is that a lot of the installation part is obivous to you but it isn't obvious at all to other people. Someone new to your software needs a single place with a full instruction on how to get your software going without needing to go on a scavenging hunt for information (like it is now).

As far as I understand it right now the installation boils down to the steps below:
  • Go to the github page: https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software
  • Look at the right under releases, download all the zip files, extract to a directory and run the installer (setup.exe ?). This will install the NI Visa (version x 32bit) and Labview runtime (version y 32bit)
  • Go back to the github main page
  • Click on branches in the left top
  • Open the branch for your NanoVNA model and download the .exe file onto your computer
  • Start using the program

Please amend these steps with missing info and add them to your Github page and manual. I'm 100% sure you'll see a huge drop in questions about installation issues.

Assuming these steps are correct, I would have had your software up & running within 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 02:31:36 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1829 on: March 03, 2022, 02:40:39 pm »
Of course....
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4021555/#msg4021555
But that message is still clear as mud. Why not write down some simple steps that people can follow instead of needing to find bits of information in documents, this forum and videos? The problem is that a lot of the installation part is obivous to you but it isn't obvious at all to other people. Someone new to your software needs a single place with a full instruction on how to get your software going without needing to go on a scavenging hunt for information (like it is now).

As far as I understand it right now the installation boils down to the steps below:
  • Go to the github page: https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software
  • Look at the right under releases, download all the zip files, extract to a directory and run the installer (setup.exe ?). This will install the NI Visa (version x 32bit) and Labview runtime (version y 32bit)
  • Go back to the github main page
  • Click on branches in the left top
  • Open the branch for your NanoVNA model and download the .exe file onto your computer
  • Start using the program

Please amend these steps with missing info and add them to your Github page and manual. I'm 100% sure you'll see a huge drop in questions about installation issues.

Define simple.  After providing you a screen shot from Git that answered your question about 32 or 64, you still asked the same question.  So even just a few sentences, one which directly answered your question is not simple enough.   

Rather than having such expectations of me, what prevents you personally from writing what ever documentation you feel would help other users?   You could start a Wiki page for it, make instructional videos and what ever else you feel is a benefit to the community. 

I have no plans to do anything more with the original repository.

The following users thanked this post: Slide_Lock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1830 on: March 03, 2022, 03:42:32 pm »
Start using the program
Assuming these steps are correct, I would have had your software up & running within 5 minutes.

By far most questions were sent in by PM or direct email asking how to use the software.   Most have been from CB/amateur radio hobbyist regarding antenna measurements.   This group expresses a level of expectation when it comes to supporting them.  I delayed the original release by about a year because of the constant complaints and demands.   Anymore, I rarely take the time to answer private emails and in some cases block them.   

Point being, you are asking about what I consider a trivial problem that again, you personally could help make a difference if you chose to.   The bigger problem is educating people on it use.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 03:44:09 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1831 on: March 03, 2022, 03:56:57 pm »
I understand but I still believe that information regarding installation should be contained in as few places as possible. That has made me hesitate for a long time to post my idea on how the installation steps can be made more clear. On the forum it just gets lost in the noise and I don't see how another wiki page adds something of value. Especially given the fact that there are several software packages out there to use one of the many NanoVNA models out there.

As to using your software; the NanoVNA has opened up owning a VNA to a lot of people to whom such a device was out of their budget and/or not worth having. So I'm not surprised you get a lot of questions from people to which the technical terms are not familiar.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1832 on: March 03, 2022, 04:38:29 pm »
I understand but I still believe that information regarding installation should be contained in as few places as possible. That has made me hesitate for a long time to post my idea on how the installation steps can be made more clear. On the forum it just gets lost in the noise and I don't see how another wiki page adds something of value. Especially given the fact that there are several software packages out there to use one of the many NanoVNA models out there.

As to using your software; the NanoVNA has opened up owning a VNA to a lot of people to whom such a device was out of their budget and/or not worth having. So I'm not surprised you get a lot of questions from people to which the technical terms are not familiar.

I believe if we look at your specific question where the information was provided in a few sentences was too much to read.  I doubt adding a list of instructions would have enticed you to read them.   Lack of reading skills is a common problem in general and why I will not invest any time towards documenting new releases.

Git offers very little for metrics to help track the number of users.  I suspect my small channel and free software has done little to help the community.   I try to steer people away from using my software and to use one of the other open source programs.   These have a large user base and I assume much better support.   

It should be clear by now that my business model is such that  I don't make any money from my attempts to help the next generation of EEs.  You don't see me begging for money to fund my efforts.     

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1833 on: March 05, 2022, 05:35:59 am »
Re: front panel sizing
I realize you've got bigger fish to fry.  I'm just trying to make a little contribution. I've only been able to find one way to maintain percentage of front panel coverage with different monitor resolutions.  This solution speaks directly to current issue. However,  scaling issues with inserted graphics and fonts might be problematic. In any case,  trying it couldn't hurt:
https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361R-01/lvdialog/window_size_properties/

Thanks for your work.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1834 on: March 05, 2022, 05:56:26 pm »
Re: front panel sizing
I realize you've got bigger fish to fry.  I'm just trying to make a little contribution. I've only been able to find one way to maintain percentage of front panel coverage with different monitor resolutions.  This solution speaks directly to current issue. However,  scaling issues with inserted graphics and fonts might be problematic. In any case,  trying it couldn't hurt:
https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361R-01/lvdialog/window_size_properties/

Thanks for your work.

True and true.  Until you take that first step to learn about what you are suggesting,  you're not contributing anything but noise.  Maybe ask yourself,  Joe's says he's been using Labview for decades.  Why doesn't he listen to me...    :-DD

Scaling is an interesting problem and I would certainly take the time to show you a few tricks if you decide you want to learn it. As you're discovering,  the basics can be found with Google.  Use these to build your own understanding of how it works.   Maybe start a thread in the programming or test equipment sections to discuss learning LabView.  You may find others having something to contribute.   

Again:

Who knows what you were expecting.  Maybe you expect the graphs to scale.  Obviously the font sizes are fixed.   There are videos on YT about designing software with LabView using the autoscaling if you are interested in learning about it.   

I've run my VNA software on 1280X1024 19", 1920X1080 27" and 1920X1200 24" and its very easy for me to read on them all.   It is designed to run on my laptop which has a 17" display.   

You should consider running  one of the popular open source programs.  If you really have some need to run my software and your choice of monitors was poor for your eyesight,  just buy a new monitor.  They are cheap.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1835 on: March 06, 2022, 04:48:40 am »
Flipper's second LiteVNA arrived today.  Using the same USB cable, PC, port, his has very poor performance.  The serial number on mine is about 150 higher than the problem unit.  I'll ask about the SN# for second Lite he bought as it also shows much worse performance.      Looking at the two, I don't see anything major sticking out but maybe they made an improvement with the newer units. 

I would think their final test would have caught it but maybe the older ones are just poor and they had changed the design.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1836 on: March 06, 2022, 05:25:25 pm »
In Lite if remove DC block capacitor and ESD protection diode possible get better results on low frequency range < 10M (but this huge increase chance burn rf switch)
I prefer not do hardware mods (use for firmware tests only original hardware)

No problem.  Did you see this data published somewhere that you can provide a link to it?

https://groups.io/g/liteVNA/message/210

When pulling the blocking capacitor, what is the common mode range?  Would P1's source have a DC bias?
Would it be better to keep the block but change the value?   I don't see a problem pulling the protection diode but find it odd it would improve the low frequency range. 

Lack of schematics makes some of this a total guess.  Plan is to modify Flipper's one bad unit and see if indeed there are any performance gains.   

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1837 on: March 07, 2022, 12:39:43 pm »
Hello, the flipper is one new device?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1838 on: March 07, 2022, 04:02:08 pm »
Hello, the flipper is one new device?

:-DD  If you type in Flipper, then select the Search:

My friend Flipper ...
Flipper and I have been testing ....
I bounced it off my friend Flipper ....

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1839 on: March 07, 2022, 05:00:33 pm »
Hoo! Luck good :-DD For people with software typewriter skills can dump the close NanoVNA V.2Plus4 firmware and open it for different FW?
For me is a problem I'm ignorant of typewriter software.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1840 on: March 07, 2022, 06:28:59 pm »
Maybe ask OWO in the mail group.   Dislord has already posted about the V2+4 being locked.   I suspect OWO's recent updates were firmware changes.   I doubt they will be making that available for free.   You may not see any further development on the V2+4. 

I suspect most new buyers would purchase the Lite rather than the V2+4 because of the higher operating frequency, able to make narrow band measurements, much lower cost and the firmware is being maintained and continues to be stable.   

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1841 on: March 07, 2022, 09:42:13 pm »
the v.2plus4 is the firmware on the screen module is closed, the other can install Dislord fw, if the pc software makes the measurement is a very expensive upgrade from OWO with the same amount of money I buy other two LiteVNA  :-DD

Offline irpheus

• Contributor
« Reply #1842 on: March 08, 2022, 09:20:01 am »
Hi all,

I am posting here because I am very interested in using Joe's software for PDN measurements.

To this end I have bought what I assumed/thought is/was informed should be an original NanoVNA, however, it appears to be a NanoVNA-H (bought from eleshop.eu which only sells "original" nanoVNA (H)s, according to their website  https://eleshop.eu/nanovna-h.html ).

Reading through this thread it seems as if Knuddel in #1155 with some challenges made the NanoVNA-H work with the software ... however, there's no final confirmation of this in the pages following this post #1155 (as far as I can see) ... ?

In any case I am very genuinely interested in using this fine software for PDN measurements and somehow need to find a way either to:

- make the NanoVNA-H that I have bought work with Joe's software (much preferred), or

- find a vendor that sells the genuine "original nanoVNA" ...

Help into either of these possibilities would be very much appreciated  ;)

Jesper
" ... It is always possible to be friendly ... " H.H. the Dalai Lama

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1843 on: March 08, 2022, 01:40:34 pm »
Hello Jesper, the first thing is to read the manual after downloading the software, watch Joe's Videos on the subject when connecting your NanoVNA start to test it, make the NanoVNA-H that you have bought work with Joe's software.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 01:44:40 pm by realfran »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1844 on: March 08, 2022, 02:39:13 pm »
Hi all,

I am posting here because I am very interested in using Joe's software for PDN measurements.

To this end I have bought what I assumed/thought is/was informed should be an original NanoVNA, however, it appears to be a NanoVNA-H (bought from eleshop.eu which only sells "original" nanoVNA (H)s, according to their website  https://eleshop.eu/nanovna-h.html ).

Reading through this thread it seems as if Knuddel in #1155 with some challenges made the NanoVNA-H work with the software ... however, there's no final confirmation of this in the pages following this post #1155 (as far as I can see) ... ?

In any case I am very genuinely interested in using this fine software for PDN measurements and somehow need to find a way either to:

- make the NanoVNA-H that I have bought work with Joe's software (much preferred), or

- find a vendor that sells the genuine "original nanoVNA" ...

Help into either of these possibilities would be very much appreciated  ;)

Jesper

Jesper,

You and jspencerg have a lot in common.  Had you read Knuddel and my posts following #1155, you know that their problem was due to their regional settings which has been covered many times.  I suggest you make use of the search feature.   It's very easy to use (see attached).  I suggest searching "regional" or maybe "comma".

Of course, you never state what problem YOU are having.  Only that you need to somehow make it work.  Assuming you are running the latest software, the regional settings should be handled automatically so maybe you are having some other problem.  Maybe you have the wrong software, wrong VISA, no VISA.  Rather than my guessing, how about you provide a few details.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1845 on: March 08, 2022, 10:45:38 pm »
Demonstration of Solver64 with the LiteVNA.

The following users thanked this post: cyp_eev

Offline irpheus

• Contributor
« Reply #1846 on: March 09, 2022, 06:31:00 am »
Hi All,

@Joeqsmith: Thanks, Joe, for your feedback.

However, I am treading a bit carefully here as - I hasten to add unrelated to your software as such - downloading & trying to install VISA for some unknown reason completely crashed my Win10 installation. And trying to re-install Win10, Microsoft's Win10 downloading interaction GUI did not state that it would fully overwrite all other files on the download drive. Maybe somebody else would know about this - but IME Microsoft products otherwise are very cautious to warn about such things so I didn't consider this an option when I didn't see any information about it.

Anyway, it means that my backup HDD has been erased. Including all photos from some years back and some very important files. I'm currently trying to recover the drive but it is a mess - files all over the place and the original file structure no longer present. So, I am a bit vulnerable right now - and being careful here ...

As to your feedback I can say that I normally do read the documentation I need to read and actually have read your manual (the pages relating to installation & PDN), seen many of your videos, and also read about the compatibility issue and about the regional settings. To this end I may have missed something but following #1155 I did not see Knuddel make a final confirmation that he made the software work with the NanoVNA-H version ...? But he did? That obviously would be the easiest solution since I already have bought the NanoVNA-H.

In any case I am fully aware that you provide this software for free - and I actually always do my best to respect other people's time (as much as I can). I know it is not "my time" and thus should be respected and appreciated when given!

I will send you a PM.

@realfran: Thank you also for considering and replying. I think I replied to your comments in the above ...

Cheers,

Jesper

" ... It is always possible to be friendly ... " H.H. the Dalai Lama

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1847 on: March 09, 2022, 07:36:40 am »
Jesperl,

... downloading & trying to install VISA for some unknown reason completely crashed my Win10 installation. And trying to re-install Win10, Microsoft's Win10 downloading interaction GUI did not state that it would fully overwrite all other files on the download drive.

I've never had LabView crash a PC like you describe.  What VISA were you installing?  Where did you get it from?   

...Anyway, it means that my backup HDD has been erased. Including all photos from some years back and some very important files. I'm currently trying to recover the drive but it is a mess - files all over the place and the original file structure no longer present. So, I am a bit vulnerable right now - and being careful here ...
I never understand how people put so much trust into their computers that they do not feel any need to back them up.  It's always the same story of lost photos and business records.  They spend hours trying to recover what may have taken minutes and a couple of FLASH drives to back up.   

... I may have missed something but following #1155 I did not see Knuddel make a final confirmation that he made the software work with the NanoVNA-H version ...? But he did? That obviously would be the easiest solution since I already have bought the NanoVNA-H.

I doubt there was any sort of followup.  People rarely post unless there is a problem.  My guess is they went away once they had no more questions which is typical.     

I will send you a PM.

I have no interest in using the PM as it does nothing to help others with the same problem.  From your PM,  I do not take donations or payments.  When it comes to my software, I've had many people express their expectations.  I can only imagine how the general population behaves when you go down this path.   "I donated a dollar and demand you do what I say!!"  Pretty much how many behave today without any donations.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1848 on: March 09, 2022, 01:15:51 pm »
Jesperl,

Searching with Google to see if there was some sort of trend,  I found one hit that may be related.     

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Windows-crash-after-NI-VISA-driver-installation/td-p/4184355

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1849 on: March 10, 2022, 02:43:22 am »
Following Dislord's recommendation to remove the DC blocking capacitors, I ran a few tests today.

The two blocking caps appear to be 1uF.  at 50 ohms, the 3dB cutoff would be 3200Hz.   I decided to replace both with a 4.7uF and see what effects lowering it to 680Hz had.  Again, both protection diodes had been removed.  First, I reinserted the 2 X resistors and diode to bring the power supply circuit back to stock.   I saw no difference in performance. 

I then replaced both blocking caps with a zero ohm jumper.   Again, I saw no improvements.   I then tried using the firmware's average set to 4.  Very slow but data overlays with the original NanoVNA.  Note, mylite is my original LiteVNA, unmodified. 

The little dips and notches are still present like was shown during the video demonstration of the Lite. Compared with the original NanoVNA which is again, very smooth.   

I would be VERY skeptical of any suggestions to change the Lite's hardware.  From my perspective, there are no gains to be had removing the front end block and protection diode.  The noise problems with the USB power supply are also solved with a simple  series diode and bulk cap added to a USB cable.   

poor wording
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:38:51 am by joeqsmith »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf