Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 463100 times)

Offline irpheus

• Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1850 on: March 10, 2022, 05:23:47 am »
Hi Joe,

& thanks for considering & replying ... I think I will just consider what to do ...

Wishing you a pleasant day.

Jesper M
" ... It is always possible to be friendly ... " H.H. the Dalai Lama

Online joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1851 on: March 10, 2022, 12:01:19 pm »
Hi Joe,

& thanks for considering & replying ... I think I will just consider what to do ...

Wishing you a pleasant day.

Jesper M

Jesper,

... downloading & trying to install VISA for some unknown reason completely crashed my Win10 installation. And trying to re-install Win10, Microsoft's Win10 downloading interaction GUI did not state that it would fully overwrite all other files on the download drive.
I've never had LabView crash a PC like you describe.  What VISA were you installing?  Where did you get it from?   

I would have just started out answering the simple questions I asked you.   It sounds like you may have tried to manually install the runtime and NIVISA rather than using the supplied installer.  Which of course, can be done if you know what you are doing.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1852 on: March 10, 2022, 01:04:07 pm »
Now here's an interesting post about LabView:

Joe Smith has released a LabVIEW program to the public which supports the LiteVNA and may better suit you than VNA-QT, including the ability to control a transfer relay.  LabVIEW is too resource intensive for my system, so I have not tried Joe's program yet.

Thinking of what PCs were around at the time Labview 2011 was released and what this poor person must have that LabView is too resource intensive for it.   

Just for fun, showing the LiteVNA linked up and talking with my Lenovo MIIx2 8.   Running it from MicroSD card.  Not even using a mouse.   Note the custom cable.  This allows me to run the tablet off external power and maintain access to the USB port.   

Almost forgot, yes, that's Windows 8.   

Review says short on features but this unit has a GPS receiver built in.  You can even run Microsoft Maps with it (old).
https://www.pcworld.com/article/444045/lenovo-miix-2-8-review-a-fast-tablet-thats-short-on-features.html

https://groups.io/g/liteVNA/topic/recommended_windows_sw_to_use/89406609?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,,,20,2,0,89406609,previd=1646818766347533994,nextid=1642626865287766864&previd=1646818766347533994&nextid=1642626865287766864
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 01:05:38 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline hwalker

• Contributor
« Reply #1853 on: March 10, 2022, 03:17:41 pm »
Thinking of what PCs were around at the time Labview 2011 was released and what this poor person must have that LabView is too resource intensive for it.

That "poor person" has a i7 system with 16GB of ram but is lacking the space resource for adding another program when he generally only uses a PC to conveniently grab a screen shot, update the firmware or plot numerous traces.  Please note I did say "my system".  Each user should judge for themselves whether their system has similar space resource limitations or whether your program offers them a feature that is more important to them than the LiteVNA software they are currently using.

Herb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1854 on: March 10, 2022, 04:27:10 pm »

That "poor person" has a i7 system with 16GB of ram but is lacking the space resource for adding another program when he generally only uses a PC to conveniently grab a screen shot, update the firmware or plot numerous traces.  Please note I did say "my system".  Each user should judge for themselves whether their system has similar space resource limitations or whether your program offers them a feature that is more important to them than the LiteVNA software they are currently using.

Herb

I certainly understood this was your system and because you did not provide any details, people may be left with the idea that LabView will only run on the latest high end hardware.   In contrast to your statement I wanted to show in detail what I consider to be a system with very limited resources available running my software.   Up to 2016, I was running LabView 2011 on a P4 with Windows XP.   Of course the new 64-bit software would not run on it but the released code certainly will and I had demonstrated that in the past.

It sounds like you're lacking the drive space to store it which in todays low cost large drives, it a fringe case.   That old tablet has 32G built in.  The OS takes up a fair chunk of that.  2011 doesn't require much for drive space compared with modern applications.  The runtime and VISA are installed local.   I think I have a 32G SDcard installed in that tablet to store my applications.   

The older versions of LabView, like 2011 obviously require less resources than the latest version.  To get some idea on the requirements to run Solver64, here is a link from 2021 showing the current version (most likely will release with this).   

Disk Space: 620 MB   
RAM: 256 MB

The program is about 16 MB. 

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/17/system-requirements-for-labview-development-systems-and-modules.html

For fun, I searched "modern games PC requirements" and get this for my first hit:

Cyberpunk 2077
CPU:    Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor or better
RAM:    12GB
Graphics Card:    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon R9 Fury
Storage:    At least 70 GB of available space

:-DD :-DD   My old PC is showing it's age. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 05:22:25 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1855 on: March 10, 2022, 05:14:49 pm »
Hello, Solver64 with the LiteVNA demonstration is amazing, the software will be released in the coming day?
My V.2.8 setup works with the NanoVNA V2 SSA and the V2 Plus4, for the LiteVNA "Solver64 is best suitable.  :-+

Offline hwalker

• Contributor
« Reply #1856 on: March 10, 2022, 05:25:48 pm »
   "... It sounds like you're lacking the drive space to store it which in todays low cost large drives, it a fringe case."

In my post on the other group, I suggested your program to a user interested in controlling a transfer relay. I could have been more detailed in explaining why I was suggesting a program that I hadn't used myself.   A better explanation would have been that my current software needs are not very demanding and are met by the software I already use.

You are certainly correct that if I had a compelling reason to try your LabVIEW program, I could easily free up the necessary space resources to do so.

Herb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1857 on: March 10, 2022, 05:40:33 pm »
Hello, Solver64 with the LiteVNA demonstration is amazing, the software will be released in the coming day?
My V.2.8 setup works with the NanoVNA V2 SSA and the V2 Plus4, for the LiteVNA "Solver64 is best suitable.  :-+

Running the software local vs watching it after capture, it looks slow.   I have not played with the 64-bit versions of LabView until now because they were too limited.   With 2022, they have dropped all support for 32-bits which tells me that it's time to finally upgrade.   It makes better use of the PCs hardware and is noticeably faster on my old PC.   

I have been testing with LabView 2020 rather than 2021 and will need to get a new license first and then test it.  I did uncover a couple of bugs since making the demo which have now been addressed. 

typo
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 05:59:21 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1858 on: March 10, 2022, 05:58:24 pm »
   "... It sounds like you're lacking the drive space to store it which in todays low cost large drives, it a fringe case."

In my post on the other group, I suggested your program to a user interested in controlling a transfer relay. I could have been more detailed in explaining why I was suggesting a program that I hadn't used myself.   A better explanation would have been that my current software needs are not very demanding and are met by the software I already use.

You are certainly correct that if I had a compelling reason to try your LabVIEW program, I could easily free up the necessary space resources to do so.

Herb

I trust you know what resources your PC has and if it can run LabView or not.   You say its too resource intensive and I believe you but I want to make it clear to others  what the system requirements actually are.  I suspect for most of us our PCs would not pose a problem.

I try to steer people away from using my software.  Not because the system requirement for LabView but rather other free programs should have better support and be much easier to learn for the CB and radio hobbyist. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:00:51 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline irpheus

• Contributor
« Reply #1859 on: March 11, 2022, 09:17:56 am »
Hi Joe,

Before writing about the NanoVNA related topics I would just say that I have sent you another PM. Not intending to do this onwards - but in this context I found it to be more appropriate.

And then in relation to the NanoVNA, with hopefully the right details, and would appreciate your feedback:

Yesterday I downloaded the previous version of the software for the V2 Plus from this weblink:

https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software/releases/tag/0.10

I downloaded all files (except the tar.gz file) and had 7-Zip do the unzipping of the files to a specific folder.

As I understand from the manual (r23 version), p.18, the .INI, runtime engine (labview runtime engine), and VISA drivers should be included in this original release (I assume it is this one I downloaded?):

The installer, .INI, runtime engine and VISA drivers will no longer be included. You may download these directly from NI, or just install the originalrelease of the V2+ software.

Unzipping created a folder sequence named "NanoVNA_V2Plus_Installer"->Volume->bin->dp and p0 to p34 folders. I went into the "dp" folder and clicked the "install" icon.

The installation started up, however, before the actual installation began there was an error message saying something like "that the installation needed Labview Runtime version 2011 SP1 to continue" (I am writing this from another harddisk than the harddisk I would like to install the NanoVNA software onto - and I do not exactly remember what the dialog box said).

Anyway, I went to NI labview runtime's download webpage and setup the dropboxes to be "Windows OS, 2011 version, 32 bits" and started download. However, for some reason NI labview runtime download doesn't work - what happens is that the NI webpages switch to a new webpage but "hangs" on this new webpage. There's a small circular clock-like icon that keeps rotating but nothing more happens.

I did this several times (and actually also the day before), and the same happens. I have contacted NI about this but they do not answer their phones here in Denmark (really unusual!) - and I couldn't find another email than their web feedback email which I have sent an email about this So no success yet wrt this. Anyone else here have the correct labview runtime, VISA driver, and maybe INI file to use? Would be very helpful ...

Regarding your question:

What VISA were you installing?  Where did you get it from?   

I can say that when my Win10 installation crashed I used a VISA driver that I had downloaded from this NI webpage:

https://www.ni.com/da-dk/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-visa.html#442805

I do not remember which version I downloaded but I likely would have chosen the newest one. It may also be relevant to say that the Win10 was installed on an older laptop of mine - a Lenovo T61 (4 GB RAM) which I normally use for my CNC mill. It usuall works fine - but this PC has been dedicated to the CNC mill use and overall has not been used for anything else.

I normally use Win7 Pro 64 bits - this OS goes well with other programs I use, and if possible I would much appreciate advice on how to setup the NanoVNA software on this OS. The computer used with the Win7 OS is a Dell Latitude E6420, I3 processor, with 8 GB RAM and Samsung 850 SSD HDD. But I can/will install the Win10 on this computer as well (Win10 Pro, Samsung 830 SSD).

I would appreciate help as to what I may be doing incorrectly - and also if others are able to download the NI labview runtime ...? I even tried to download it on my smartphone  :o but that didn't work either ...

:palm: Jesper

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1860 on: March 11, 2022, 01:09:32 pm »
Jesper,
It seems you fell into the trap of not reading the instructions in the README and then randomly downloading files.   It's a common theme.   

I downloaded all files (except the tar.gz file) and had 7-Zip do the unzipping of the files to a specific folder.
Ok

Unzipping created a folder sequence named "NanoVNA_V2Plus_Installer"->Volume->bin->dp and p0 to p34 folders. I went into the "dp" folder and clicked the "install" icon.

Wrong 

The installation started up, however, before the actual installation began there was an error message saying something like "that the installation needed Labview Runtime version 2011 SP1 to continue" (I am writing this from another harddisk than the harddisk I would
like to install the NanoVNA software onto - and I do not exactly remember what the dialog box said).

The installation installs the runtime engine.  This isn't Catch 22.   See attached if you need help saving files and using 7-zip. 

Considering you need to construct a transformer, DC blocks, learn the software.....  If the project is for work, I would just buy a commercial system.  There are many options to choose from depending on your specific requirements.  You may end up having to do that anyway depending on your goals.  It is after all a $50 device. 

https://www.omicron-lab.com/products/vector-network-analysis/bode-100#
https://www.picotest.com/products_PI_Station.html

Brian from Copper Mountain Tech is also a member.  You may want to contact him as well. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:48:38 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1861 on: March 12, 2022, 12:13:19 am »
I spent some time today comparing the V2_2 schematic with the LiteVNA.   Oddly enough they had used 10uF for the two blocks in place of the 1uF Flipper's had.   There are also several other 10uF parts they has swapped for 1uF.   Really strange is one  part that I was ecpecting to be a 1uF on Flippers had a 0603 10uF.   I wonder if that was a mistake in the Lite.  I removed my two zero ohm jumpers that I had used to replace the blocks then inserted all 4.7uF parts just to see if it had any effect.  I would need to order 10uF parts.   

Shown in black was Flipper's stock Like, brown was adding a series diode with the USB power and red is with the two protection diodes pulled and all of the 1uFs in the signal path replaced with 4.7uF.     

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1862 on: March 12, 2022, 12:17:39 am »
It's still not as good as the original NanoVNA but if I allow the firmware to average 2X and then average 10X and 20X in software, we can bring it well below.  Not a good solution.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1863 on: March 12, 2022, 01:19:07 am »
100uOhm shunt thru load.  Original NanoVNA compared with Flipper's after capacitor mod and 10X software filter. 

Offline irpheus

• Contributor
« Reply #1864 on: March 12, 2022, 09:55:43 am »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your detailed & helpful reply & illustrations  ;) ... I installed the software yesterday and it appears to have worked although I do not yet have a contact with the nanoVNA-H. Will look into it tomorrow.

Cheers & thanks,

Jesper

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1865 on: March 12, 2022, 11:29:07 am »
Jesper,

I installed the software yesterday and it appears to have worked although I do not yet have a contact with the nanoVNA-H.

I would have to guess at why it doesn't communicate.  I have no idea which OS you ended up installing it on but it will make a difference.   Let's guess and say you used the unsupported Windows 7.   When I installed my software on that old Lenovo tablet which runs Windows 8,  it did not include a compatible driver like 10 does.    Did you install the driver?  Did you then verify the PC assigned the comm port number using Device Manager?   Then did you actually install the correct software for your VNA?  Did you select the comm port that Device Manager shows in my software and save that to create the defaults file? 

As I mentioned, you have a lot in common with jspencerg.  You may not know how to pull the latest software for your H.  I suggest you read the following several posts starting with: 
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4037986/#msg4037986

Jspencerg never followed up so I can't say if they made it any further.   Getting the software installed is trivial.  If you follow the thread, you may think everyone is having problems.  But I suspect it's more the only people who post are the ones having problems.  Most will just install it and we will never hear from them. 

I'll be very impressed if you manage to construct the peripherals and get any meaningful data.  Somehow you will need to validate the setup. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 11:31:22 am by joeqsmith »

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1866 on: March 12, 2022, 03:14:08 pm »
Hello, considering the new feature of Solver64 with the possibility to upload firmware from it, I wonder if is possible to upload the @Dislord firmware on the V.2Plus4, I use with the PC and Solver64 the display module I don't use. ( I'm computer illiterate not possible for me to dump the closed source display FW)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1867 on: March 12, 2022, 04:46:48 pm »
Hello, considering the new feature of Solver64 with the possibility to upload firmware from it, I wonder if is possible to upload the @Dislord firmware on the V.2Plus4, I use with the PC and Solver64 the display module I don't use. ( I'm computer illiterate not possible for me to dump the closed source display FW)
Yes and I demo'ed it with the Lite.     Previously to program my V2Plus, I used VNA_QT.EXE.   The only reason I used the ST-Link with the V2Plus4 was to backup the original firmware.  The reason I used my software rather than VNA_QT to program Dislord's firmware was that feature needed to be tested.    If it's not clear, I reverted back to the original firmware.       

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg4021114/#msg4021114

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1868 on: March 12, 2022, 06:56:31 pm »
Yes is clear I like to test the @Dislord firmware (I don't like to be forced to use only the close source firmware) the one from @Dislord is open and continually improved.
Thank you for the information :-+

Offline hwalker

• Contributor
« Reply #1869 on: March 12, 2022, 07:17:30 pm »
 "... I wonder if is possible to upload the @Dislord firmware on the V.2Plus4"

Please note that the more recent versions of the V2Plus4 use a different display module and DiSlord's firmware will not work with them (display screen goes blank).  Back up your firmware before updating if you are not sure which display module your V2Plus4 has installed.  It's always a good idea to back-up your FW before upgrading, unless you already have a back-up copy, regardless.

DiSlord cautionary note when using his FW version for the V2Plus is as follows:

" !!!! V2Plus4 firmware work only on old V2Plus4 devices, new V2Plus4 devices have different LCD module not supported by this fw. As last V2Plus4 sources (software and hardware info) closed i not support it. !!! "

Herb

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1870 on: March 12, 2022, 09:42:56 pm »
I have installed the @dislord firmware on the V2plus4 the only thing the display module does not work, I use PC only for the NanoVNA v.2Plus with the NanoSolver64 software I hope will be OK (eventually I reinstall the native firmware).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1871 on: March 12, 2022, 10:02:56 pm »
I have installed the @dislord firmware on the V2plus4 the only thing the display module does not work, I use PC only for the NanoVNA v.2Plus with the NanoSolver64 software I hope will be OK (eventually I reinstall the native firmware).

If the firmware is 100% backward compatible with the original, then it should work.  You should be able to run it with the current release.  If that does not work, then the new software will not work as well. 

Offline realfran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1872 on: March 12, 2022, 10:32:58 pm »
This is @Dislord !.2.03 FW for V2Plus4 testing one 2Ghz HP Low-Pass-Filter work the only  thing the Nano Solver64 got more possibility for use it from the PC
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:38:42 pm by realfran »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1873 on: March 12, 2022, 10:56:30 pm »
It seems to work, so the new version shouldn't be a problem.   What OS do you plan to try an run it on? 

Offline jspencerg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1874 on: March 13, 2022, 12:15:21 am »
Re: XferRly Err
I release this error has to do with program expectation of a transfer relay, which I do not have.  I don't get how to adjust settings so this error light will not occur.  Does it matter?
Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf