Author Topic: NanoVNA input protection  (Read 4604 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
NanoVNA input protection
« on: August 13, 2023, 01:35:25 pm »
I had forgotten that the administrators for group.io supporting the V2Plus4 censor the posts.  There were a few comments about a video I had made on protecting the VNA from transients which I would like to address.

The group is locked to non-members, but you can view the comments from their website:
https://nanorfe.com/forum/ESD-safer-circuit.html

For now, this is only a placeholder.   Of course feel free to flame the video. 

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, RoV, rplabs

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA input protection
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 01:48:18 pm »
For some context,  I was reminded of the professional ham who demonstrates the proper use of the NanoVNA.   Video is linked at 9:00 in.  Watch carefully.  The best part is the comments.   

https://youtu.be/tCHAa-sjgcQ?t=535

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 02:33:18 pm »
And while I do not disagree that it is wise to discharge anything you plan to connect your VNA to, you may want to consider something other than a drill bit like this ham demonstrates.   

I recently made a video showing proper RF connector repair after watching another ham "pulling dents" of an RF connector with drill blanks.   :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 04:38:38 pm »
Tom W8JI 2023/07/30 05:31

The video is factual useless nonsense. A GDT will not protect a VNA of any type, it will barely help a much more robust communications
receiver. Adding a GDT and ground strap is a total waste of time and money. 

I doubt there is anyone who would suggest that any GDT would protect a VNA in of itself.  Of course, this not what the video shows.

There are two reasons a VNA is damaged:

1.) Steady state voltages either from local signals or bias voltage on the device under test.

2.) Static or residual charge from a large high antenna and feed line capacitance being charged,  or perhaps a capacitor in the system
accidentally left charged from some previous bias voltage.

I had mentioed a third where the ham connects the VNA directly to their PA.

The three most effective ways to handle this and protect the VNA are:

1.) Don't connect to an active circuit unless you know what you are doing, things like a bias-T can be a disaster

2.) Short the external load or have a static drain like a resistor or choke across the external load before connecting

3.) Don't test antenna systems in inclement weather

Good practices was covered during the video.  In addition I talk about the use of ESD matts and wrist straps. 

This thread goes on and on with occasional good and a lot of bad suggestions. Early on there was a long video link with a mix of a couple minutes of good information in with a lot of meaningless "protection" like the assumption a small resistor will clamp at the resistor's rated voltage. 
Sorry you lost me.  I don't believe I have ever suggested a resistor would act as a clamp.

Ten volt and higher protection devices and devices with a lot of capacitance really do not belong in the protection system. 
As I demonstrated, at the frequencies I was working with (<300MHz), the capacitance of the parts chosen had minimal effect on the measurements.

These are not expensive devices so we just want some reasonable protection that does not compromise the instrument".  I bought a sample collection of these from Amazon and have been using them in place of my old trusty but limited range MFJ analyzers and have not damaged one yet.  First I follow some simple rules.
I am not too surprised. As I stated in that video, following good practices should help avoid most of the common failures.

I'm not fan of attenuator pads because the transient suppression, at least below the surprisingly high catastrophic mortality point of even a small resistor, is only by pad attenuation. If we use a 3dB pad, which then takes at least 3dB from the dynamic range of measurements, we reduce unwanted voltage to about 71% of the original port voltage. A six-dB pad is only a ~50% voltage reduction. The resistors are not remotely as good at fusing as real fuses, and fuses are notoriously slow and unreliable enough in transient response. We sure don't want to depend on such a meaningless protection return for a hit on the already too-low signal levels of these devices. The silliest thing is where resistors appear as glitch fuses in amplifiers, and yes I have measured their protection contribution. If they are unreliable as fault "fuses" in a simple rugged tube amplifier, they are an even worse fuse in a fragile semiconductor system.  They are first and foremost just resistors.

As I talked about in the video, there are two attenuators. One between the GDT and TVS.  The other between the TVS and port 1.  Obviously you are giving up dynamic range.  I demonstrated the effects of adding various attention had on the SWR measurement.  But again, I have heard from hams suggesting they need to measure their SWR out three places beyond the decimal.  As I talk about in the video, any design is a give and take.  The circuit proposed wasn't suggested as an end all to protection but rather just going through the motions on what to consider if a ham were to attempt to design their own.   Yes, I know hams no longer enhance the art.  Well maybe the 1%ers are still out there..   

The attenuators are there only to give the TVS something to work against.  They are not their to act as a fuse as you suggest. Coax makes a good capacitor.  Once the GDT fires, the stress on the first stage attenuator is gone. You could try creeping up on the GDT with a DC voltage and damage the attenuator.  In that case, it may very well act as a fuse but it is not the intent. Again, what was presented it's not a one size fits all and based on what some of the hams have posted, I doubt you could add enough protection to save them in all cases.

GDTs are off the charts in voltage breakdown but can handle current in the hundreds or kilo-ampere range, and just look like a few pF of capacitance when not ionized. They are great for protecting high voltage high power systems.
They vary like any device, which is why there are so many and data sheets.  One place you may find them is multi-meters where they commonly sit behind a surge rated resistor and PTC which limits the current they see.

About the only choice with fast response and low enough voltage is a simple TVS diode. They are readily available in low voltage-threshold and very low capacitance devices, like the Littlefuse SP3022 series.
Pin diodes are also common.  Again, it all depends. As I mentioned during the video, I have seen neon bulbs being used in some equipment.

I use them on my expensive bench VNA, so I am sure they will work with a nanoVNA. They are not nearly as robust as a GDT and unsuitable in high power circuit protection (like linear amps), but are the component of choice in low voltage systems.
The LiteVNA has clamps built-in.  For my home equipment, I don't add any protection.  Normally I follow good practices.  I did manage to damage an amplifier a few months back when I decided to not wear a strap.  I touched a horn (antenna) which was gounded via several feet of coax back to the amp. 

I would also use a suitable series capacitor between the DUT port and the TVS diode, or make it a symmetrical T with two suitable value MLCC (multi-layer ceramic capacitors) and a shunt TVS diode in the center.

I had a DC blocking cap in that design I show and went over it.  I've had hams suggest that a blocking cap was enough to protect their equipment.  The idead that the capacitor will present a low impedance to high frequencies and that transients, like those from an ESD event have fairly high frequency content goes over their heads.   

Beyond this we are likely doing more measurement and cost harm than we are protection and failure cost good.

Oh, I can assure you we are giving up performance.  Again, there is a reason I don't add any proction when working with my equipment.  Most of my equipment is 20 years old or more and still the expense of repairs could easily be in the $1k and up. So, wrist straps and other practices are a must.

I've connected two or three unprotected nanoVNAs to various things without issue, but I use some common sense precautions.

There have been several posts from hams who have damaged theirs which is what prompted the video in the first place.  Don't assume hams have any engineering background.  I suspect had I ran those grill starter ESD transients directly into that VNA, it would have been game over.  I saw no reason to demonstate that.  The pulse from that grill starter is fairly weak compared with the IEC standards.  I could have ran that same test using this generator without any concern.  Higher energy transients like you may see with a charged section of coax may have been more interesting to demonstrate but the video was getting long.   

... My biggest problem with the nanoVNAs are overload and the difficult time getting S-parameters into the computers. But if I use it like a fancy MFJ-259 it is great, and common sense when connecting protects it.

I don't see the VNA as an antenna analyzer like many of the hams market them and can certainly believe a purpose built antenna analyzer would out perform it for measuring SWR.  I can even believe a basic SWR meter may do a better job (certainly more robust and easier for the hams to setup and learn to use). 

As far as getting the data into the PC, for me that's the least of my problems. I started writing software for VNAs when I bought my first one a few decades past (and not to measure antennas). Porting over my software to support these various low cost VNA has not presented any real problems.  Once the LiteVNA was released, I pretty much stopped using any of the others.  Dislord has done a wonderful job with the firmware and the hardware, for the $120, is a tough combo to beat.

I'm do not have a CB or ham license and no interest in them as a hobby.  I noticed you built some sort of drag car. I would have far more interest in that.  I've been in the 7's myself in the 1/4. 

Bad formatting
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 04:48:10 pm by joeqsmith »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 06:33:28 pm »
Something bad went down I take it.  :box:

Let me watch the video later I can't do it now ...  :phew:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 07:10:39 pm »
Not really.  Just the typical ham culture.  With Tom suggesting the video was "factual useless nonsense", I thought I would offer them an open dialog where they could ask the author directly.   I would have kept the discussion on the group.io, but I suspect OWO has their own agenda as my last two posts were nicked.   I couldn't see a point in wasting anytime using that group but am certainly willing to still discuss it on a more open platform.   Sadly, they even censored my post on where to direct them.   :-DD   

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 12:09:01 pm »
Yea protect your test equipment. But another simple thing, (not just us here but all possible users), wev'e all got used to these cheap devices coming with no documentation whatsoever. Sure it may reside on some website, but is the URL even printed on the device? Again, sure you can Google the thing by name and find it (probably).

But what happened to the days where you got at least a couple pages of documentation. The inexperienced user just grabs it and starts trying to make sense of what it can do. It has connections - it's for RF right? Let's connect RF to them and see what happens on the screen! Why not provide at least ONE simple piece of paper for a list of simple warnings and the most basic instructions? Can the MAX RF power be printed on the case right by the connections?

I know, I know - they wouldn't read that either.  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 12:57:29 pm »
Looks like OWO has filtered the last set of posts and indeed, they had censored my last post as well.   Tough to have any discussions when the third party censors most of the posts.   Looks like a few more chimed in.   

I know, I know - they wouldn't read that either.  :palm:
That's been my experience.      Inexpensive doesn't suggest ease of use. 

Doing a search on my friend Tom,  my guess is he has reached the highest levels of knowledge and just didn't want to waste his time watching something that he already has a deep understanding of.  Then he felt the need to show his expertise to his peers.  Looks like he has a YT channel, website and a small business.   It makes sense that he feels he needs to present himself as an expert.   I'm sure I would have enjoyed the dialog. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 12:07:47 am »
@josephkaminski1857
1 day ago (edited)
this was all totally unnecessary and alters the resonant freq of the DUT.  (1) first of all, No matter what amount of capacitance is in the line and antenna that the NANO is measuring, it can only charge that line capacitance to a level of the Nano output signal RMS value. that voltage is accounted for in the nano design of signal output and line returns paths. (2) the DUT resonant freq is altered by this effective tank/DC bleed circuit you have and makes the NANO RLC time constant measurements wrong. The only thing anyone really needs to be concerned with is discharging the DUT before then begin testing. After that the max RMS value that the DUT can possibly have is from the nano own RMS output levels , which is more than accounted for in the NANO design. The real way People blow up nanos is When they do signal injection to the DUT from a signal generator, while using the nano to make measurements.  They tend to drive the line with too much signal power. I don't understand why they do that because it is not needed with a NANO to make measurements.

I'm not sure why the poster would consider my clamp a tank or what these RLC time constants are that refer to.   As I responded, the NanoVNA is limited to 300MHz.  I am also not sure why they feel the circuit would effect the DUT's resonance frequency.  This is fairly low frequency and while I did demonstrate making a few measurements with the clamp inline, I am guessing the OP may not have watched that part or didn't understand what was being shown.

Shown looking at S11 from the antenna side of the clamp with the backside terminated to 50ohms.   Also shown measuring S21.  The clamp uses both a 3 and 7dB attenuator and should measure roughly 10dB total.  At 300MHz, it's within a half dB.  Normally, you would cal with the clamp in place.   

I invited the OP to join up and better explain what they are getting at.  Maybe there is a problem I am not understanding. 

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 03:51:06 pm »
There is a reason for not including much input protection on antenna analysers and VNAs, it fouls up the measurements, otherwise they would all have “back to back” diodes on their ports.

You just have to use care, one of my technicians managed to blow an expensive commercial antenna analyser testing a VHF dipole on a bench. We guessed it was due to static.

SJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 06:05:45 pm »
There is a reason for not including much input protection on antenna analysers and VNAs, it fouls up the measurements, otherwise they would all have “back to back” diodes on their ports.

You just have to use care, one of my technicians managed to blow an expensive commercial antenna analyser testing a VHF dipole on a bench. We guessed it was due to static.

SJ
Care to provide any details as to why you feel this way?  Just stating it doesn't make it true and how products are designed has nothing to do with it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 07:17:07 pm »
For fun, I took a few measurements using a homemade antenna I used in a previous thread. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/antennas-for-experimentation/msg4539512/#msg4539512

I had designed that clamp assuming it would be used with the original NanoVNA for up to 300MHz.  This antenna was designed for around 950MHz and I will be using the LiteVNA to collect the data.  The LiteVNA has a TVS on each port.  This particular one can get some useful data to about 8GHz.   Good enough for this demonstration which should push the limits of that poorly constructed clamp.     

trans6_slimjim:  Showing the setup.  Antenna wedged into a block of wood and then set on top of the PC with a section of coax.   The clamp was installed between the coax going back to the VNA and the coax feeding the antenna.   Calibration was performed at the end of the clamp when installed, or at the end of the coax attached to the VNA.  Both calibrations will use the standards supplied with the LiteVNA with my sorted load, and will use the ideal model. 

trans5_slimjim:  Just a quick sanity check looking at the return loss of the antenna with and without the clamp, no calibration.  Direct measurement appears to be around 966MHz.  So I set the sweep range from 900MHz to 1GHz, 1601 points, 2kHz IFBW and calibrated the system with and without the clamp.   

trans7_slimjim:  Measuring the VSWR with and without the clamp after calibration.   The antenna isn't really a standard, and again we are working outside the range of what I had intended that clamp to be used.    Then if you want to tighten things down further, I would ditch my home office, use real standards that have been characterized....   Still for what it is, seems like little change and good enough.   

Offline p.larner

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2023, 02:01:54 pm »
a few years ago t was stormy,i decided to unplug my coax from my atu,i did that and had a metal windowframe,i held the coax pl259 centerpin about 3mm from the frame only to see a spark jump the gap,i left it about 10 seconds and it did it againe,now i always ground the antenna before testing,shame i always seem to forget to discharge caps before testing them a blown up a couple of component testers ,i have an olds hunts leakage tester,this seems to charge them to 300volts ish,i always forget to discharge them!.

Online Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2023, 10:41:13 am »
I tried to fly the flag....

Josh A
VK4JNA

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 03:37:53 pm »
Guessing your flag poll snapped. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 02:05:05 am »
"Are you a HAM operator?" 

They put some effort into this post. 

"I think you are putting major headaches on new guys that now think you need some kind of major rediculous extras like you are using, and I am sure selling, not a bad advert to scare guys into buying some of your stuff huh, ..."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 01:38:29 pm by joeqsmith »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf