Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

NI Vector Signal Transceiver

<< < (7/10) > >>

Marsupilami:

--- Quote from: zrq on December 11, 2023, 07:12:21 pm ---May you bother to discuss a bit more on the software side? (question posted on the other thread but it seems this one is more active).

If I understand right, if the description ini files in C:\ProgramData\PXISA\Chassis are created correctly (and the pxiesys.ini and possibly also the ChassisDescriptionFilePath registry), the adapter board can get recognized as a chassis and the VST board get enumerated (if it's already enumerated at UEFI booting and seen by Windows).
Or is it compulsory to write a stub DLL like NIPXIeSMu.dll to help enumeration and implement the SMBus operations?

--- End quote ---

I didn't do any of that. You plug in the board and it works. In MAX it looks a bit wonky since it won't sit under a chassis, as there isn't one, but it is working nevertheless just fine.
I tried an SMU some time ago that didn't do anything at all and I'm wondering what you just wrote might help in that case, but again for the VST I had to do zero extra software work other than installing drivers.

KE5FX:

--- Quote from: Marsupilami on December 07, 2023, 04:25:00 pm ---Make sure you post if you get it to work!
--- End quote ---

Some excellent results with your board:

Everything was pretty much plug and play, except for how difficult the 'plug' part is.  I was afraid I was going to break something by forcing or hammering the connector into place, and I don't have any mating hardware available to create a makeshift press-fit jig as you did.  So I ended just soldering the connector pins after poking them through the board as far as they would go:

Not ideal for a standard backplane installation since the connectors sit about 2mm above the board, but good enough for proof-of-concept.

For the PCIe interface, I decided to try this adapter for use with an M.2 slot on a LattePanda:

They are sold by a couple of different vendors under the same part number (S-M28643H-1-1).  It worked nicely with no additional resistors or other modifications.  I powered up the PXIe-5644R with a mini-ATX supply prior to booting the PC, and it showed up right away in NIMax:

Thanks again for doing all the homework on this!

Marsupilami:

--- Quote from: KE5FX on December 15, 2023, 03:48:10 am ---Some excellent results with your board:

--- End quote ---

Yaaay!
That’s a sick setup. Are you planning to package it in a small box or something?

The press-fit is pain, yes, but I’m glad you found a solution.

The datasheet of the VST has the max current draw, make sure your psu is fine with it.

Have fun and keep posting if you tweak it!

KE5FX:

--- Quote from: Marsupilami on December 15, 2023, 03:59:59 am ---Yaaay!
That’s a sick setup. Are you planning to package it in a small box or something?

The press-fit is pain, yes, but I’m glad you found a solution.

The datasheet of the VST has the max current draw, make sure your psu is fine with it.

Have fun and keep posting if you tweak it!

--- End quote ---

I'm not concerned about the power supply but cooling is definitely a consideration.  Just sitting on the bench in the open air, the 5644R gets too hot to hold after a few minutes.  Forced air will be mandatory in any enclosed chassis, no question there.

It's tempting to mount a touchscreen display to a PXIe-1085 or similar crate, but there goes the "bargain" part of the project...   

Marsupilami:
I’m cooling mine with a 140mm Noctua 12V PC fan. I bought the beefy industrial version but I keep it waaaay down with the controller. Probably one of the “silent” kinds would take care of it easily too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version