Author Topic: QucsStudio status?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline szoftveresTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
QucsStudio status?
« on: March 29, 2024, 11:17:36 pm »
QucsStudio has a great potential of becoming a free ADS alternative, but has some issues and is still under development.

The most significant issue however is that it's being maintained by a single person and the project is closed source (unlike its ancestor, which it's based on).
The website has a forum but nobody can register any more and it's full of spam. The development seems like halted.

Wondering if anyone knows the guy is behind this project could ask them to open-source it, so that developers eager to maintain and improve it could also contribute?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:25:14 pm by szoftveres »

The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
Re: QucsStudio status?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 12:02:24 am »
Qucs-S is an alternative which is open source, granted it's not as nice to use as QucsStudio. These simulators, as awesome as they are, would greatly benefit from an amount of work (e.g. improve the workflow for adding new components; currently it's super-clunky).

Just kicking tyres: I kind of hope that KiCad's simulator could one day incorporate that functionality, i.e. if that could be the mechanism to see improvements to it, since KiCad gets more funding. For example, if Release 9 or Release 10 of KiCad focussed on simulation. Wishful thinking I know. I just can't see a way for Qucs-S etc to get immensely more development effort unless it was embraced by (say) KiCad.
Maybe it's worth raising that as a feature request for KiCad. I don't mind sticking that into GitLab as a KiCad feature request, if people think it's a good idea. Maybe the things to be put into such a request could be brainstormed here first.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 12:29:26 am by shabaz »

The following users thanked this post: MarkL

Offline szoftveresTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 12:25:37 am »
I've been using QucsStudio for a while and it would be too sad to see it go into waste. I think there is always a community out there who is willing to maintain this kind software (especially given that the license fee of its commercial alternative is $5k/year), however it's up to the owner/creator to release the source code.
A great example is GNU octave.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 12:31:21 am by szoftveres »

Offline Gerhard_dk4xp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 07:12:21 am »
The original owner released it already many years ago, which was qucs without "studio"
This did not work out, so he took his own stuff and carried on alone.

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
    • Electronic projects, modules and courses on Arduino and STM32
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 04:35:24 am »
Current version of QucsStudio has a FDTD solver and pcb layout generator that allows to quickly create and simulate microstrip structures (see attached images). For my current purposes, I need a correct far field output. QucsStudio does not output correct results for far-field yet, but it is already a very useful tool for my project. Btw, there is a donation button which is really hard to find: need to scroll down to the bottom of https://qucsstudio.de/ front page. A great way to support and motivate the author! But button placement is not optimal. I think that Donation button should be placed on download page, and you can either donate or skip to download. Many projects do this. Also, there are many nice examples, but they are separate downloads! You need to open https://qucsstudio.de/Examples/ , download "packages" and then process them using QucsStudio "Project → Extract Package…", and only then examples can be opened. E.g., there is an "EM simulation" and many more.
In my opinion, the best way to support development of QucsStudio is to do it financially with some donations or bring more attention to the tool. E.g., I use it in my educational project. This means that students should download QucsStudio to open examples for each lesson. Financial gains and large community are two strongest motivating factors for the authors.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 04:48:03 am by Georgy.Moshkin »

Offline Gerhard_dk4xp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 06:22:14 am »
Here are more tutorials on  qucs and other stuff :
<    http://www.gunthard-kraus.de/   >

The author of that site has recently died, so get it while you can.

Gerhard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf