Author Topic: Question about DTV frequency allocation in Europe  (Read 2031 times)

Offline fubar.grTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
Question about DTV frequency allocation in Europe
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:09:26 pm »
I don't know if RF regulation matters belong in this forum, but here it goes:

There has been a kerfuffle lately in Greece, because the government wants to limit the number of over the air DTV broadcast licences to just 4.

To back this decision up, they introduced a study from Florence School of Regulation. I don't have access to the full text, but here are the conclusions: http://www.ereportaz.gr/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/eui-greece_final_report_excerpts.pdf

What strikes me as odd is this one:

iv. The maximum number of multiplexes assigned to Greece in the sub-700 MHz band, by GE06 agreement, is 4. 2 of them are reserved for public TV broadcasting, while the other 2 could be used for private TV broadcasting. Since a multiplex using the current technology and a robust coding scheme can carry 20 Mbit/s, and hence a maximum of 2 HD channels, the total number of nationwide private channels that can be transmitted in Greece is 4. Considering that each license will be issued for a slot relating to one nationwide channel only, the number of licenses that should currently be auctioned by the Greek Administration cannot therefore exceed the 4.

It doesn't make any sense. How can an international agreement limit the multiplexes (or does it mean multiplexers?) to a certain number?

For what it's worth, there are over 30 nation-wide channels broadcasting right now in Greece.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf