Author Topic: Question about making 433MHz antenna  (Read 2371 times)

Offline amwalesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Question about making 433MHz antenna
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:06:14 pm »
I want to make a 1/4 wave 433MHz antenna. Should I be concerned about the type of wire I use.
I understand that it needs to be 173mm long but is it ok to use silicone insulated stranded copper wire?

Offline davebb

• Regular Contributor
Re: Question about making 433MHz antenna
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 12:59:04 am »
Hi yes that will be fine, use the thickest wire will give you the best band width, but at 433mhz it will be wide ,don't forget your counter-poise/ground is half of your antenna, if I was you I would make a halfwave ant and get some gain.
Dave 2E0DMB

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:14:28 pm »
To add to that, you want to think about which type of antenna will work better for your application-an omnidirectional or a beam antenna.  The beam will give you gain at the expense of front to back and side to side rejection.  Otherwise, Dave is on the mark with a 1/2 wave or better to get gain.  Gain is good! :-+

Tom, NW0LF
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Z80

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:37:18 pm »
To answer your question about making a 1/4 wave, the type of conductor you use doesn't matter.  One point to note though is that the length you quoted 173mm is the free space wavelength.  It will be slightly shorter in a piece of copper wire, more like 168 / 170mm.  if you are using it for a receiver then it won't really make much difference, but if using it for a transmitter you will need to trim it to resonance either by using an SWR measurement or by trimming for maximum radiated signal.  The ground system you use and the environment will also affect the length slightly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf