Author Topic: Shortwave radio noise & the level of SWL Interference  (Read 2260 times)

Offline jonovidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Shortwave radio noise & the level of SWL Interference
« on: April 14, 2021, 02:43:56 am »
recently I decided to hook up the trusty Tecsun 660 Shortwave radio to the outside 21 meter long wire urban wire antenna for some SWL
in metropolitan Adelaide.  as this was a working system in 2017
but got only noise & Interference from 1MHz up to 18MHz  thinking it was a loss of the impedance transformer grounding by a earth wire failure.
I did re-test the external antenna and its indoor impedance transformer circuit, transformer grounding and the coax . however no fault found in the antenna
so I decided to build a passive 0.5 to 30MHz tapped coil antenna tuner box with attenuator for receiving shortwave in the hope that this may help?
 however I decided post to the forum. before wasting any more time and money on SWL
I have not used the shortwave radio for a year or two and new LED street lighting may have something to do with it? 

see image here is the outside 21 meter long wire urban wire antenna setup I use.  its a copy of the Technical and historical site SWL antenna design.
this was ok back in 2015 when I did first got the Tecsun 660 and needed a good SWL antenna.
I will also note that a 891KHz AM signal is so strong it will drive the multimeter continuity test piezo buzzer as a speaker
I get ABC Adelaide radio station 891 kHz AM on my multimeter piezo buzzer. even though the station is on the other side of the city .
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: Shortwave radio noise & the level of SWL Interference
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 03:08:03 am »
I do know that with my tecsun some stations come in alot better on my shielded loop then on the normal antenna, it makes a huge difference, depending on where I am sitting. Keep in mind the ext antenna input there is not 50 ohms, the impedance is changed based on setting. Did you try different settings to see what happens?

i.e. local, dx and the other one
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:51:44 am by coppercone2 »

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 03:40:56 am »
new LED street lighting...

If they have a significant length of wire between a noisy switching power supply and your street lights you have a nice antenna to radiate that noise.  Some stop lights are worse here with their long "antennas."

The 891 kHz AM signal could be overloading your radio, however it did not sound like that was the case before.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:52:07 am by ocw »

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 07:13:47 am »
recently I decided to hook up the trusty Tecsun 660 Shortwave radio to the outside 21 meter long wire urban wire antenna for some SWL
in metropolitan Adelaide.  as this was a working system in 2017
but got only noise & Interference from 1MHz up to 18MHz  thinking it was a loss of the impedance transformer grounding by a earth wire failure.
I did re-test the external antenna and its indoor impedance transformer circuit, transformer grounding and the coax . however no fault found in the antenna
so I decided to build a passive 0.5 to 30MHz tapped coil antenna tuner box with attenuator for receiving shortwave in the hope that this may help?
 however I decided post to the forum. before wasting any more time and money on SWL
I have not used the shortwave radio for a year or two and new LED street lighting may have something to do with it? 

see image here is the outside 21 meter long wire urban wire antenna setup I use.  its a copy of the Technical and historical site SWL antenna design.
this was ok back in 2015 when I did first got the Tecsun 660 and needed a good SWL antenna.
I will also note that a 891KHz AM signal is so strong it will drive the multimeter continuity test piezo buzzer as a speaker
I get ABC Adelaide radio station 891 kHz AM on my multimeter piezo buzzer. even though the station is on the other side of the city .

Hello jonovid, here are some thoughts

First of all, LED street lights may generate noise, but then those lights should be off in the morning, so if they're the source of noise, you should notice some difference in the morning, also, if the very strong signal from ABC Adelaide was already there in the past and didn't cause issues, then you may exclude it from being the cause, otherwise for sure, such a signal may overload the frontend of your receiver making it deaf

Anyhow, you may run a quick test by disconnecting the PL660 from the external antenna and checking if, using the internal one, you're able to pick up something; you may also drive to some "quiet spot" and test reception there, those tests will at least tell you that the 660 is working and isn't causing issues

Given that the 660 is working, the next step would be checking the antenna, you wrote that till 2017 it worked, but you hadn't used it for some time, so the antenna may have some issues; start by checking if the various connections at both ends (receiver, coax, antenna, grounds) present oxidization or problems, in case use some deoxit to clean them, also open the unun and the transformer boxes and ensure everything inside is ok; if that doesn't solve the issue, then it may be due to either the antenna wire being damaged (e.g. if using an insulated wire, the wire may be broken at some point and the insulation layer may be keeping the antenna up) or the buried coax being damaged; to run a quick check, try connecting the 660 directly to the antenna transformer (using your adapter box), if the reception works this way, then the issue may be due to a damaged coax otherwise you may want to lower the antenna and inspect it (as a note, I'd add a second pulley at the feedpoint side too, that would help lowering the antenna and checking it)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:49:19 pm by A.Z. »

Offline Emo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 09:14:30 am »
Hi,

Do you have (V)DSL services in the area. Depending on underground or overhead connections they tend to generate a lot of "noise" up to 17 or 35 Mhz

Eric

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 09:19:15 am »
Do you have (V)DSL services in the area. Depending on underground or overhead connections they tend to generate a lot of "noise" up to 17 or 35 Mhz

Good point, Eric ! If that's the case, then it may be possible to (partially) solve it by using a simple vertical loop like this one, placed outside

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:04 am »
And powerline network adapters, they generate a ton of RF crap.

Coincidentally I did the same, dug out my HF receiver a couple of days ago in order to sell it, I have S7+ of noise across most of the HF bands from Powerline. DSL, PCs printers, lighting and whatever else. OK, that was with a random wire out the back of the rig but still not good  :(

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 10:42:35 am »
Please try switching on and tuning around it at different times of a day.
RF noise and Noise Floor of receivers and antennas can vary considerably from morning, afternoon and nights.
I noticed from my SDR over night recordings of MW band, the NF figure drops drastically to between -110 and -120 dBm making the reception
very quiet and pleasure to listen to.

During the day and early evenings, they go up to -90 to even to -80dBm, it is painful if not impossible to listen to any weak signals under this level of noise.
And then, there are millions of factors which can affect the MW and HF reception noise, of course including your radio and antennas too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:09:46 pm by vinlove »

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 01:59:15 pm »

and then some more; switching power supplies used inside home, plasma TV sets, solar panels... and more, all those generate a dense "cloud" of interference, then add the interference coming from neighbourhood and the one coming from public stuff like street lights, AC power transformers and so on, and it's easy to understand the kind of "RF polluted" environment we live in; I must say that from that point of view I'm lucky, I live in a very small town, uphills, and my usual noise level is around -120 to -130 dB so I can't complain about that, but I've friends "suffering" the RFI issue

Coincidentally I did the same, dug out my HF receiver a couple of days ago in order to sell it, I have S7+ of noise across most of the HF bands from Powerline. DSL, PCs printers, lighting and whatever else. OK, that was with a random wire out the back of the rig but still not good  :(

You're not alone, a randomwire (or an "inverted L" as the one used by the OP) aren't exactly the quietest antennas, sure, many years ago, when the RFI was much lower, they were ok, but nowadays if one isn't living in a pretty quiet (from RF standpoint) place, a randomwire won't exactly be the best choice. I'm NOT saying it won't work, mind me, an endfed wire antenna is the simplest to setup, is almost stealth and offers decent performances in TX, but when it comes to reception, in my humble opinion, it would be a better idea considering a loop antenna, it's simple too, but it offers better S/N ratio and, if it's a vertical loop, the NULLs it offers will be useful to attenuate some strong noise source

Offline HB9EVI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 02:28:17 pm »
I'm running an Inverted L but in a suprisingly quiet environment; I prefer it for sending, while I use Whips or active loops for receiving.
Certainly the noise level increased over the years, so no surprise that it can be shocking to listen on the frequencies after longer abstinence.
but many problems with antennas are home made; most common of course will be, that not only the antenna receives but the feedline too due to common mode currents. Many believe it's a TX only problem, but it's a rather nasty issue on the RX side too.
Also drowned feedline, corroded connectors and all the sort of things can cause rx problems.

after such a long idle time, it's absolutely needed to verify the antenna system first; afterward you can start searching for external qrm sources.

also if you have a strong local station, you have to count with any kind of intermodulation, if the receivers frontend is not really well designed. under such conditions you're going to see design flaws very easily and in very nasty manner.

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 02:53:23 pm »
I'm running an Inverted L but in a suprisingly quiet environment; I prefer it for sending, while I use Whips or active loops for receiving.

Hi Pascal, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the inverted L is a bad antenna, just that isn't as "quiet" as (say) a skyloop

Certainly the noise level increased over the years, so no surprise that it can be shocking to listen on the frequencies after longer abstinence.

Sure, but the OP (jonovid) wrote he used that antenna from at least 2015 to 2017, and while the RFI may probably be higher today, I doubt it may be so high to totally obliterate any signal between 1 and 18 MHz ... then ok, anything is possible, by the way

but many problems with antennas are home made; most common of course will be, that not only the antenna receives but the feedline too due to common mode currents. Many believe it's a TX only problem, but it's a rather nasty issue on the RX side too.

Agreed, and while the OP antenna schematic (see image) shows a buried coax (which should help with CMC), I think that going for a belt and suspenders approach and adding a pair of chokes (at the antenna and shack ends of the coax) won't be a bad idea

Also drowned feedline, corroded connectors and all the sort of things can cause rx problems.
after such a long idle time, it's absolutely needed to verify the antenna system first; afterward you can start searching for external qrm sources.

And that's why I suggested to perform some checks and tests on the antenna system, if you check my post you'll see that one of the checks I suggested is directly connecting the receiver at the output of the UnUn, that would exclude the coax, so if it's damaged it will be easy to spot it that way ! (edit: also, the screw connection may be oxidized and act as "diodes" and in such a case the whole "RF hell" will go down the coax, to the receiver)

also if you have a strong local station, you have to count with any kind of intermodulation, if the receivers frontend is not really well designed. under such conditions you're going to see design flaws very easily and in very nasty manner.

Totally agreed !

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:42:02 pm by A.Z. »

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 07:21:18 pm »
thank you all for your comments  :-+
I need more time to evaluate the problem and hopefully find the source of the noise.
obviously something has changed in the last two years.  if its from inside the house or the neighbors. its solvable IMO.
back in 2015 the antenna setup I had the Tecsun 660 getting good reception of SSB on 40 and 80 meter bands also with good Interstate MW AM  broadcast band performance at night.
however in 2021
if the source of the noise is compound or blanket in nature, even the best loop antenna may fail to null out the noise source.
walking or cycling with the Tecsun 660 around the neighborhood is an idea  for a night and also a daytime test of the levels.
I hope to post if I have any interesting text results. however my location maybe different for you elsewhere making it somewhat irrelevant.
-thank you all  :D

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 08:19:39 pm »
Hey ... NO c'mon, you can't come here with a problem and just disappear !

:)

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 10:08:22 pm »
Can you tell us what happens when you flip the switch on the side that says DX, Local and Normal, with the internal antenna and then with your external antenna? Try to do it on something thats somewhat audible but noisy.

and maybe walk around the house with the internal antenna and see what it does in different rooms?

this should be quick to do
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:12:07 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 12:18:01 am »
Plasma TV's are bad news.. often cause RFI.

Ive spent at least $100 on ferrite bead RFI suppressrs, and i feel its made for enormous improvements over no ferrites.

Look for a popular packet of 40 ferrite beads in multiple sizes on ebay. Ihave found they work well and are fairly big, some of them.
Its around $16 here in the US.

and then some more; switching power supplies used inside home, plasma TV sets, solar panels... and more, all those generate a dense "cloud" of interference, then add the interference coming from neighbourhood and the one coming from public stuff like street lights, AC power transformers and so on, and it's easy to understand the kind of "RF polluted" environment we live in; I must say that from that point of view I'm lucky, I live in a very small town, uphills, and my usual noise level is around -120 to -130 dB so I can't complain about that, but I've friends "suffering" the RFI issue

You're not alone, a randomwire (or an "inverted L" as the one used by the OP) aren't exactly the quietest antennas, sure, many years ago, when the RFI was much lower, they were ok, but nowadays if one isn't living in a pretty quiet (from RF standpoint) place, a randomwire won't exactly be the best choice. I'm NOT saying it won't work, mind me, an endfed wire antenna is the simplest to setup, is almost stealth and offers decent performances in TX, but when it comes to reception, in my humble opinion, it would be a better idea considering a loop antenna, it's simple too, but it offers better S/N ratio and, if it's a vertical loop, the NULLs it offers will be useful to attenuate some strong noise source
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 07:07:10 am »
Can you tell us what happens when you flip the switch on the side that says DX, Local and Normal, with the internal antenna and then with your external antenna? Try to do it on something thats somewhat audible but noisy.

and maybe walk around the house with the internal antenna and see what it does in different rooms?

found the source of the noise! it was the lab computer. so no internet when SWLing   :palm:
the shortwave bands have returned to normal,   :phew:  computers are noisy   

Ive spent at least $100 on ferrite bead RFI suppressrs, and i feel its made for enormous improvements over no ferrites.
ferrite bead RFI suppressrs do work and they are free with most used electronics. old TV's & PC's have them.

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 09:30:21 am »
found the source of the noise! it was the lab computer. so no internet when SWLing   :palm:

Is the computer a laptop one with external PSU ? If so, try disconnecting the PSU (from AC and computer) and running the computer on batteries, if (as I suspect) the noise disappears, the culprit is the power supply (battery charger), in such a case you may either replace it or add ferrite chokes to both the AC line and the line going to the laptop

ferrite bead RFI suppressrs do work and they are free with most used electronics. old TV's & PC's have them.

While ferrite chokes don't perform miracles, they help lowering the noise generated by various appliances/stuff, if possible buy some quantity of snap-on chokes and place them on the AC cords of TVs, computers, LED lights and so on; here are some, just an example, you could find them from other sources

Anyhow, happy to hear you found the noise source, now it would be a good idea finding a way to tame it so that you'll be able to use your computer even while SWLing :)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:32:08 am by A.Z. »

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 09:51:05 am »
Anyhow, happy to hear you found the noise source, now it would be a good idea finding a way to tame it so that you'll be able to use your computer even while SWLing :)

yes true  its a Lenovo desktop pc with a custom VGA  DVR unit on the video it is a one year project that finally works   :clap:.
brings me finally this conundrum,  software defined radio on shortwave  defined on what hardware?
non of my 3 SDR USB units worked with window's anyway.   >:D microsoft and China don't really get along'

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 10:06:06 am »
yes true  its a Lenovo desktop pc with a custom VGA  DVR unit on the video it is a one year project that finally works   :clap:.

So, if you disconnect the PSU, does the noise disappear ?

brings me finally this conundrum,  software defined radio on shortwave  defined on what hardware?
non of my 3 SDR USB units worked with window's anyway.   >:D microsoft and China don't really get along'

If you're using RTL dongles, you'll need to start by installing the proper drivers, see here for infos, at any rate, SDR units aren't "plug and play", to work they need their proper drivers and, in some cases, the proper "ExtIO" library to interface with the receiver program.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:08:38 am by A.Z. »

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 10:30:22 am »
sadly the noise has returned, radiating from the AC mains.  centered around 6MHz   from neighbors.
making any long wire antenna over the house useless.  so taking to the backyard with the Tecsun 660 in hand   :-/O
on SSB 40 meters a 200W uk? amateur radio station was reporting that a VK station had heavy QRM
so we SWL-ers are not the only one's with this.
I may need to relocate any long wire antenna away from anything.  going portable to the local park and throwing a wire up a tree for better DX 
-as excuse to get out of the house. 

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 04:12:39 pm »
sadly the noise has returned, radiating from the AC mains.  centered around 6MHz   from neighbors.
making any long wire antenna over the house useless.  so taking to the backyard with the Tecsun 660 in hand   :-/O
on SSB 40 meters a 200W uk? amateur radio station was reporting that a VK station had heavy QRM
I may need to relocate any long wire antenna away from anything.  going portable to the local park and throwing a wire up a tree for better DX 

If you want, give this antenna a try, to build a quick prototype you may use a pair of PVC pipes or wood sticks and build a cross to support the loop wire, the transformer may be wound using a toroid or a pair of ferrite sleeves, performances won't be like the original, but it will suffice for a quick test; alternatively, if you have a piece of yard/garden, you may try this other antenna, both antennas offer good S/N ratio and may help you improving your reception

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 11:55:27 pm »
Once I attempted to match my mini whip (has jfet preamp) to a tall tree in my backyard to get more signal over my local (wicked) QRM.

It seemed to kind of work. Tree is a conifer and around 50 feet tall.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 12:00:31 am »
[I found that puting as many as I could ferrite beads around all wires entering or leaving my PC, especially Ethernet has helped a lot.

But not enough of them. The suppression per ferrite is not that high so must use a lot of them. Running wires through them several times (as many times as you can) also is super helpful.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:03:26 am by cdev »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf