Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

Sucoflex 104 repair

(1/2) > >>

veedub565:
Is there anybody in the UK who can fit a new N-Type connector to Sucoflex 104 ?

I've got a 2m length with one N-Type already fitted, but the other end is damaged and needs replacing. Ordinary coax I can do, but I'm not very good at it. this is something else entirely. Was wondering if there might be a small business or something who might do it for me as a one off.

George Edmonds:
Hi

Are N connectors for Sucoflex 104 even available?  I have only ever seen made up cable assemblies

G Edmonds G6HIG

veedub565:
I'm not sure to be honest, this was originally a cable assy with N-Types at each end. Seems a waste to bin the cable if a new connector could be fitted, although possibly more cost effective to just buy a ew cable assy.

George Edmonds:
Hi

It is possible to get Sucoflex patch cables with a whole range of connectors from SMA to C and possibly more.

There are two different outside diameters of Sucoflex 104, which do you have?

I have not fitted connectors to Sucoflex 104, BUT I have fitted a large number of connectors to Messi & Paolomi Ultraflex 7 for local radio amateurs.  Sucoflex 104 and Messi & Paolomi Ultraflex 7 are both PTFE foam dielectric coax cables with a velocity factor of 77%.

The big secret is in getting the correct connectors, which in the case of Sucoflex would most probably have to come from Huber & Shuuner.  By and large it depends on just what you want from a patch cable and the upper frequency required.

G Edmonds G6HIG UK

coppercone2:
I have done stuff like that but I don't know if my work is good. One tip is to use resistance heating for the center pin solder point, so you don't get solder on the outside of the center pin, so it seats perfectly, or to buy the proper crimp tool and do a magnifier inspection before you crimp.

But I suppose that is the easy part. Measure everything with calipers and work slowly. If you miss 1 strand on those center pin crimps, they will slide right off! Recommend you buy the go-nogo gauges too for that kind of work. I thought I was going crazy or the instructions were wrong before I verified with the go-no go gauge and discovered I was losing a wire that was nearly invisible that made the crimp slide off., expensive lesson.

Being precise with braid and foam = pain in the ass. Ensure all tools are basically in mint condition for a start and use fine tip markers (you can get quite fine markers in the art store) and then caliper for verification, with all work done under magnification. Also you need fixture for the cables when you work on them. Inspect for damage and disorder after every step.

Ship in bottle type work.

But IMO easier then making a good pizza. Reminds me a bit of manufacturing a picture perfect sandwich, its all kind of unstable, where the lettuce is the braid. Or maybe a hot dog >:(

And clean all the parts before assembly too IMO, and the work surface too, I used gloves for the most expensive connectors too.

The foam is not the worst one either I think, the teflon tape wrapped ones (like plumbers tape) is IMO even worse.

Do I blame you for looking for a assembler? hell no. Might come out slightly cheaper if you don't screw up. I think its satisfying though. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version