Author Topic: Wanted: Your opinion about Yaesu FT-857  (Read 5305 times)

Offline sundanceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Wanted: Your opinion about Yaesu FT-857
« on: December 02, 2019, 10:01:18 am »
I am looking for a good and affordable (< €/$ 800.-) transceiver to get me started on the 6m band.
At the moment, I have some ancient Icom radios (IC-730 and IC-251) that would allow SSB operation with a 6m-transverter. But if you consider purchasing the transverter along with a decent linear amplifier with some 100 watts of output power, you easily end up spending €400 or more.
That made me consider to buy a radio like the Yaesu FT-857(D) - prices here in EU are ~ €780.- for a brand new one and you can get good used radios for 500-600 bucks. The extra bonus of having an all-mode, all-band (VHF/UHF included!) radio would easily justify the additional expenses.

So I'm looking for comments, recommendations (both positive and negative) for this radio. I've read a lot about a "deaf" receiver, ineffective/bad modulation etc. but for most of the weak aspects there are solutions available on the web. Other opions are that this is the best device they ever had.

So let me know what you think about this radio. Or maybe you have other/better radios to recommend in my price range. Since I'm more of a Icom/Kenwood "aficionado" and never had a Yaesu radio, any input is welcome!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:02:49 am by sundance »

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Wanted: Your opinion about Yaesu FT-857
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:28:19 am »
I wouldnt give yaesu rigs the time of day!all the ones ive had have been aufull,look at the specs of say the finals for example,they run things at the limit,with no headroom to keep profit up but not the cost down!,most kenwood stuff i see has components way over spec,do yourself a favour and give yaesu a wide birth,just my opinion.73

The following users thanked this post: bob91343

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 12:24:49 am »
i wasnt refering to the 857 directly but yaesu in general seem under built in my experiance.

Offline MaBerY

• PH0MB
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 02:44:55 pm »
I have a FT857 for many years now and I have a LDG AT-897 tuner to hook up my G5RV
I also have a programming cable (DIYS) and FTBasicMMO channel programming cable. Also have the MH-59 DTMF micro
I did not feel the need for something bigger and it has tons of mods and info on the Internet.

If you don't need VHF/UHF 2/70, you could opt for the FT891 HF/6M set which is newer.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 02:52:33 pm »
If possible i'd really suggest saving up a bit more and going with the Icom 7300, unless your looking for the portability.  These can be had new with free shipping for $1000 if you hold out for a sale and they are great radios with a ton of features.

Offline G7OVK

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 08:49:14 pm »
Well m3vuv, you're wrong about Yaesu. No better, no worse than the others.
As for the FT-857D, it's a decent all-rounder, but agree that if you can push for an IC-7300, get one. It's newer, modern and overall better.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 10:03:31 pm »
Thanks for all your input so far.
Well, the IC-7300 is a very popular TRX and clearly another league (haven't seen it here in EU for less than 1150.-). And like I said, most of my equipment that I bought after I was licenced in 1980 is Icom (and all of it is still working). But frankly I'm (still) kinda reluctant when it comes to SDR: I'm so happy with the performance of my old IC-730 (which unfortunatelly lacks 6m and FM) and on the other hand read a lot about SDR show stoppers like ADC overflows. But I guess I'm going to accept an offer from a good friend of mine to test his 7300 for a while before I make my choice.

I know that there are way better receivers than the FT-857 out there. But I don't do contests and I don't have other radio amateurs in close proximity so there are no big unwanted signals to deal with. And I really love the idea of having "a shack in a box" like CJay said. Maybe I won't miss 2m/70cm though (I have dedicated equipment for these bands), so the FT-891 could be an option, too.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:06:53 pm by sundance »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 11:28:10 pm »
reluctant when it comes to SDR:

I was a bit reluctant to SDR myself, but only due to the lack of repairability, also thought my FT-950 was all I needed.  I was all happy and comfortable until I bought an Elecraft KX3 with Panadaptor for portable use, the display quickly grew on me. 

Be VERY careful though, now I own an 7300, 7610 and the new 9700, almost as expensive as test equipment!

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:13:32 am »
Yaesu might be okay these days but I recall a time when this was not the case.  A large fraction of their radios were DOA from new and had to be fixed under warranty.  I think that was back in the 1980s but don't really remember.

I have owned several radios by Yaesu and Kenwood and ICOM and Alinco and many US brands.  In my experience, the Yaesu were at the bottom of the heap.  The reliability wasn't so bad but I didn't like the design.  I remember FT-101, FT-980, FT-ONE, and an HT for 2 meters.  I got rid of all because I just didn't like them.  I have repaired a few too, and my conclusion holds.

I did like my ICOM radios, although there were some issues.  My Kenwoods easily outdid all the rest and I still use a couple of them.  The US made units were mostly okay (except Swan) as far as they went but they dropped the ball when the Japanese hit the market.  I leave Heath and Knight out of consideration because so many were kits that it's hard to decide where to put the culpability when things weren't right.

So for the nonce I guess I'm a Kenwood user, and happy to be.  As I said at the outset, maybe Yaesu is better these days (they likely are) but I have better things to do than reevaluate the brand.  When the time comes to modernize I will look around.

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 03:09:00 am »
Ive had an ft-840,that fried the finals when a crappy chinese cat lead keyed it into no load,not realy the radios fault but the swr foldback was iffy out of the box,sold that one,still have a ft-290mk1,has agc issues due to the shitty phenolic pcb,horrid thing to work on!,had an ft-101b,that was ok but drifty,mostly use kenwood gear,just seems better than yaesu stuff,currently run an 850-s brought with the normal issues with carrier caps leaking etc,its working like a champ now,ya pays ya money!! 73.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 06:27:40 am »
I quite like my Yaesu FT-817 for a small portable allmode radio. For something larger I would much prefer something like the Icom IC-7100 - the DSP is very effective. Or if you can find a good working used Icom 7000 they are also very nice(I'm never selling mine).
End of the day if you want a 857 I say go for it, you'll enjoy it.
VE7FM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 10:06:46 am »
btw, just realized there is similar "shack in the box" radio from ICOM: The IC-706MKII/G. Did I say I really dig ICOM radios?   ;)
Any comments about that TRX?

@CJay & completely OT:
Did you come up with the "shack in the box" phrase or is that marketing from one of the BIG3?
(People in my age probably get reminded to the well known "Jack in the box" by Clodagh Rodgers from 1971...)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 12:47:22 pm »
No love for the FT-450D here? It’ll hit 6m and actually has some user interface unlike the 857D. Also the DSP functionality and noise reduction is pretty good.

Totally disagree about m3vuv’s comment on Yaesu being under built. If you fuck up a Yaesu you shouldn’t be allowed to have hands.

But yes IC-7300 if you want something modern.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:49:07 pm by bd139 »

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 05:20:50 am »
Don't see the appeal of HF+V/UHF in one box, unless i guess if you want to do V/UHF SSB.

I'm much happier having separate radios.

I have a 7300, by the way, and it's a great radio. It is my first and only HF radio, and what can I say except it works without any hassle or problems at all, at least for casual ops like I do.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 07:59:07 am »
My main objective is to get on 6m.
And from what I've seen up to now is that it doesn't make much sense to go the transverter way - you end up with some extra boxes for transverter and PA and additional wiring and antenna switching. I think the extra money for a 2nd hand TRX with HF/6m is well spent.
I also prefer to have separate radios for HF and VHF/UHF (my everyday radio is a Kenwood TM-702 and I still have my ICOM IC-251 for 2m SSB).
So I don't need 2m/70cm in my HF/6m, but it's definitely nice to have, esp. when the radio has a portable size.

Since most of the radios discussed here (FT-857/891, IC-706MK2G, FT-450D) are intended for mobile use:
How's the main dial constructed? Smooth operation (like my Icoms) or rasterized like my Kenwood?

@bd139: The FT-450D sounds like a good option, too. And it comes with an ATU...!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 08:13:21 am »
FT-450D’s ATU only tunes 3:1. I don’t think that’s much of a problem really but if you’re using a crappy G5RV for HF it may be.  450D is not portable - too heavy at 4.4kg. The dial is a smooth optical encoder.

Also to mention if you are doing low power stuff the Elecraft KX3 is a good option.

Offline profdc9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 12:43:47 pm »
I have a FT-857D and mostly use it portable on HF because sometimes I want more than QRP.  It works great for the most part, and in particular it draws less power receiving than most other 100 watt rigs that are suitable for portability, mostly because it uses AF and not IF DSP.   The downside is that the receiving is not as good as other rigs I own such as the IC-7300.  If you are in a quiet area it's not a problem, but if you are in a big city with S9+ background your reception is clobbered.  This probably also has to do with the portable antenna I use which is certainly worse than the 100 ft tall antenna at my relatively quiet QTH.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 01:31:11 pm »
Thanks for your valuable report.
I also don't want to go below 100 watts, so QRP rigs are not an option here. And real quiet locations (rf wise) are pretty hard to find these days with all them LEDs, switched power supplies, DSL and power line adapters around (I'm still hunting down some nasty, sporadic rf noise that covers most amateur bands (can't say anything about other frequencies since my IC-730 only has amateur bands) up to 440 MHz).

How's the main dial on your FT-857D? Smooth Optical encoder also?

Offline profdc9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 02:22:03 pm »
I do not know if the FT857D has an optical encoder in the tuning knob but generally I have found tuning with it easy and I have never had any problem with it.  However, when you transport it, the knobs and buttons on the front panel are quite vulnerable, and I fashioned myself a cover to go over the display and knobs when I transport it.

One known problem with the FT857D is that the LCD starts to have bands or stripes in it over time.  I believe this is mostly caused when it is a hot car during the summer.  If you are not subjecting your FT857D to temperature extremes than it should be ok I think, but its something to consider if you want to remote mount it in your car.

Another issue is that being so compact it can't necessarily cool itself as effectively as a bigger radio can.  So I would make sure that you don't transmit into mismatch loads (> 2:1) for too long without realizing it.  I have heard only a handful of reports about blown finals, especially VHF/UHF, but be aware of it.  And of course, if you use it with an amplifier, especially a tube amplifier, make sure that the T/R relay sequencing is right and any upgrades to old amplifiers for solid state exciters are applied (examples are the SB200/SB220).  Finals can get fried if even a little high voltage passes to it. 

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 02:59:25 pm »
btw, just realized there is similar "shack in the box" radio from ICOM: The IC-706MKII/G. Did I say I really dig ICOM radios?   ;)
Any comments about that TRX?
I operated an MKIIG mobile in my car  both on HF and UHF into Diamond whip antennas for several years, nothing but great experience for that operational setup. Sold it for same price (less the inflation loss) after several years, it held resell value very well. I was careful though not to expose it to a high VSWR. Was easy to snatch DXs from pile-ups when CW transmitting with the /m suffix.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 04:33:35 pm »
Bud, thanks for your input, highly appreciated.
Do you remember what street price this radio had when it was still sold? Just to evaluate what a fair price would be for a 2nd hand rig.
I guess the main dial knob operation was smooth (like in the IC-730) and not with fixed mechanical raster?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 05:17:51 pm »
I think i sold it for $600 USD, but that wasyears ago. You can get an idea what it may cost now by searching eBay Completed listings.
The main control knob rotated smoothly, it had no detents if this is what you mean. I recall the tension was adjustable, to prevent the knob from wobbling if the car was moving.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 08:04:38 pm »
Have a look on QRZ.com for second hand prices. They seem to be slightly less insane than eBay values.  :-DD

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 08:39:20 pm »
The thing is on eBay you have to look at the Completed, not active listings.

Offline vk4ffab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 03:38:15 am »
I am looking for a good and affordable (< €/$ 800.-) transceiver to get me started on the 6m band.
At the moment, I have some ancient Icom radios (IC-730 and IC-251) that would allow SSB operation with a 6m-transverter. But if you consider purchasing the transverter along with a decent linear amplifier with some 100 watts of output power, you easily end up spending €400 or more.
That made me consider to buy a radio like the Yaesu FT-857(D) - prices here in EU are ~ €780.- for a brand new one and you can get good used radios for 500-600 bucks. The extra bonus of having an all-mode, all-band (VHF/UHF included!) radio would easily justify the additional expenses.

So I'm looking for comments, recommendations (both positive and negative) for this radio. I've read a lot about a "deaf" receiver, ineffective/bad modulation etc. but for most of the weak aspects there are solutions available on the web. Other opions are that this is the best device they ever had.

So let me know what you think about this radio. Or maybe you have other/better radios to recommend in my price range. Since I'm more of a Icom/Kenwood "aficionado" and never had a Yaesu radio, any input is welcome!

its a potato

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf