Author Topic: What are they using on me?  (Read 15533 times)

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
Re: What are they using on me?
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2021, 11:10:07 pm »
Why is this thread still open? ? ?
This reasons had been made in other posts.
Because this is the only forum I have found which has the absolutely correct balance of allowing people a to interact and say what is acceptable.

The only time I have ever had a temporary ban on a forum was  due to a cross post. The moderator was too unreasonable to see it was a misunderstanding, never went back.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:20:25 pm by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2021, 11:20:28 pm »
asergillus fumigatus mold "the most successful fungal pathogen" to humans.. produces abundant respirable ergot alkaloids when it grows on latex paint or vinyl. (for example shower curtains)
This is enough ergot to disturb sleep. Its a good reason why composting operations should always be done far from human habitations. People need sleep. This disturbance also explains the pre-modern science myth that "night soil" fumes were unhealthy.

I like the CO detector and I'll add Ergot poisoning / existing meds/ hypertension.

Steve

I've also heard that black mold can cause this type of symptom.   CO is the #1 thing I'd worry about, though.

A CO detector is definitely cheaper than a psychiatrist, an exorcist, or a TSCM sweep. :)  Or a funeral.

You do realise, I hope, that "night soil" isn't referring to compost, or "soil" as in the stuff you dig gardens  in?
It's a polite word for poo, sh*t, human faeces, "brown bombs", etc.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2021, 04:12:22 am »
The only time I have ever had a temporary ban on a forum was  due to a cross post. The moderator was too unreasonable to see it was a misunderstanding, never went back.

It wasn't Whingepool by any chance was it? ;-)

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2021, 06:38:04 am »

At least on this forum, you are granted a bit of latitude.

On the forum you spoke of, someone will post something completely false, then if you post refuting it, a mod comes along & "hides you" as "off topic".
Sometimes they will be a bit more thorough, &  hide the original poster .
It still does no good though, as you are then zapped for quoting that post.

This earned me the dreaded  "terra cotta screen of death"!

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2021, 10:29:21 am »

At least on this forum, you are granted a bit of latitude.

On the forum you spoke of, someone will post something completely false, then if you post refuting it, a mod comes along & "hides you" as "off topic".
Sometimes they will be a bit more thorough, &  hide the original poster .
It still does no good though, as you are then zapped for quoting that post.

This earned me the dreaded  "terra cotta screen of death"!

I could tell you some stories about whirlpool.net.au and my personal run-in's with one of the founders spanning several years.

I once had some moderators try to accuse me of being some other user, in a completely different state, with a completely different IP address, with a completely different writing style... yet they were adamant it was me because of "evidence" (which was of course not forthcoming). It was honestly a comedy of errors on their part. When I pointed out to the owner that apparently this had slipped under their noses for what appeared to be several years, he banned my account and locked the thread. Admins/mods there absolutely hate being told they got it wrong, even when you refute all their nonsense claims. There is this culture of "everyone one else is lying except them" and it's encouraged in the moderators chat.

On another occasion, I literally had my posts deleted because I pointed out a "troll" (in those words) even though a moderator had previously (in the same thread) deleted this other persons posts and gave the reason as "trolling". Apparently for me to call someone a troll was a "personal attack" but a moderator doing so was perfectly OK. When I pointed out the inconsistent moderation and some people just picking and choosing which rules to follow, my "Talk with a Moderator" thread was promptly closed.

I've just walked away from Whirlpool these days. Some of the users are just as painful as the moderators. Whirlpool has suffered from an image problem for years and there is no wonder that it's struggling to retain many of its users.

When it comes to the EEVblog, Dave calls the shots, but I deliberately do the opposite of what Whirlpool moderators do. So far, it seems to do the trick and keep most people happy. If I do the wrong thing, I fully expect a cranky phone call or email from Dave. I can say the same thing about Simon.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:38:11 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2021, 11:59:09 am »
sadly gaslighting is making a comeback, its not because of the cost of electricity.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2021, 07:40:55 pm »
On another occasion, I literally had my posts deleted because I pointed out a "troll" (in those words) even though a moderator had previously (in the same thread) deleted this other persons posts and gave the reason as "trolling". Apparently for me to call someone a troll was a "personal attack" but a moderator doing so was perfectly OK. When I pointed out the inconsistent moderation and some people just picking and choosing which rules to follow, my "Talk with a Moderator" thread was promptly closed.

I've just walked away from Whirlpool these days. Some of the users are just as painful as the moderators. Whirlpool has suffered from an image problem for years and there is no wonder that it's struggling to retain many of its users.

When it comes to the EEVblog, Dave calls the shots, but I deliberately do the opposite of what Whirlpool moderators do. So far, it seems to do the trick and keep most people happy. If I do the wrong thing, I fully expect a cranky phone call or email from Dave. I can say the same thing about Simon.

The absolute worst is the Tesla Motor Club forum.  If you want to discuss anything very critical of Tesla you are painted as a "short" or "spammer" even though that's not what spamming is.  The mods are alerted and you are banned.  Once I was "warned" but had not been back to the forum for a few months.  When I returned I contacted the mod about it asking for an explanation of what I did wrong.  The reply was it was too long ago to worry with, but "don't do it again"!  After posting that the stock was overvalued and can't continue at absurd valuations indefinitely I was banned.  I came back under a different name and was again banned for talking negatively.  On a third time they flagged my IP so I used VPNs.  lol  It was just so insane that no one other than a fanboi is allowed. 

So far no issues here.  This seems like a very nice place to discuss electronics.  Much better than the other extreme, newsgroups.  sci.electronics.design is a pit of seething hostility where most posters argue politics or even technical issues.  They just like to argue.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2021, 07:50:17 pm »

So far no issues here.  This seems like a very nice place to discuss electronics.  Much better than the other extreme, newsgroups.  sci.electronics.design is a pit of seething hostility where most posters argue politics or even technical issues.  They just like to argue.

Not to mention the inevitable decent into OT / conspiracy theories or foul-mouthed personal attacks. This place is a paradise compared to the newsgroups.. there is only a handful of people talking on topic and worth reading.. shame really..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:52:31 pm by E-Design »
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2021, 02:05:50 am »
This reasons had been made in other posts.
Because this is the only forum I have found which has the absolutely correct balance of allowing people a to interact and say what is acceptable.

Moderation can really make or break a forum. Too little and it just becomes a free for all cesspool of spam and toxicity like Usenet. But I have also encountered numerous forums with totalitarian moderators who go on power trips and ban people over really petty stuff. The worst ones are those who just have to have the last word, so they'll reply to a thread and then lock it so nobody can refute what they said.

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2021, 03:41:58 am »
Moderation can really make or break a forum. Too little and it just becomes a free for all cesspool of spam and toxicity like Usenet. But I have also encountered numerous forums with totalitarian moderators who go on power trips and ban people over really petty stuff. The worst ones are those who just have to have the last word, so they'll reply to a thread and then lock it so nobody can refute what they said.

I joined a moderated newsgroup once (don't recall how that worked actually) and it was insane.  They didn't allow much of anything including asking why the group was so quiet.  Seems that is a meta-discussion and not allowed.  They would get posts per week...  maybe.   I think I had more discussion with the moderator about why my posts were rejected than the posts to the group itself.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2021, 11:49:14 pm »
But I have also encountered numerous forums with totalitarian moderators who go on power trips and ban people over really petty stuff. The worst ones are those who just have to have the last word, so they'll reply to a thread and then lock it so nobody can refute what they said.

I know we are getting off-topic so I'll just say this one final thing (feel free to start a general thread about forums if people want to discuss further), but what you describe above is Whirlpool in a nutshell. Some of the mods are great and are quite "hands off", others, but a lot (including one of the founders) absolutely have some kind of superiority complex and can't help but have the last word even after they've been called out for being incorrect. In my opinion, they can have it. It's not worth the argument. It's like trying to convince a flat-earther that the world is a sphere. It's commonly known for years as "Whingepool" for good reason.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2021, 01:20:42 am »
But I have also encountered numerous forums with totalitarian moderators who go on power trips and ban people over really petty stuff. The worst ones are those who just have to have the last word, so they'll reply to a thread and then lock it so nobody can refute what they said.

I know we are getting off-topic so I'll just say this one final thing (feel free to start a general thread about forums if people want to discuss further), but what you describe above is Whirlpool in a nutshell. Some of the mods are great and are quite "hands off", others, but a lot (including one of the founders) absolutely have some kind of superiority complex and can't help but have the last word even after they've been called out for being incorrect. In my opinion, they can have it. It's not worth the argument. It's like trying to convince a flat-earther that the world is a sphere. It's commonly known for years as "Whingepool" for good reason.

I don't know if you have ever tried the sports forum "The Roar".
They make "Whingepool" look like an oasis of sweetness & light by comparison.
All postings have to be checked before they appear, & woe betide you if you say anything against the popular narrative, as your posting will just disppear into cyberspace.

Another forum which I studiously avoid is "All About Circuits", which seems to have some resident "moray eels" that, if you say anything contrary to the popular consensus, swim out of their caves & bite your leg.
And this is not just if you post "way out" stuff-----electron flow is really a controversial issue to them.

Instead of the usual reaction here, where it is regarded as pretty much "ho hum" it creates a furore, with luminaries of that forum quoting spurious mathematical "proof" that anything but CCF was impossible.

At that point, I just withdraw, & look at the display on my Cathode Ray Oscilloscope till the annoyance wears off.

Unfortunately, apart from the CRT, it is solid state, so I really need to fix a few bits of equipment using only "electron tubes" to really chill out.

As with Corona virus, I find avoidance is the best policy, so I haven't been on AAC for months.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2021, 04:33:25 am »
sports

I couldn't care less about anything else in the world. ;-)

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2021, 11:47:56 pm »
Deviating big time from topic, but see some of the links at the end...

Sci.Electronics.Design was really useful while one  MIT educated Greybeard IC designer was still alive (R.I.P   Jim Thompson, PE,  and Thank You,  Sir!) who knew his stuff, knew his SPICE, and had been there, done that.  He could keep half  the whiners busy solving incredible difficult   circuit problems. Then keep  the other half so flustered about politics, that good engineering came to foreground, despite the high signal to noise ratio.  When he passed, the SNR problem  went through the roof.   For a man who flew around the world working on advanced chip design well into his golden years, he could turn around and explain a 555 to a  teenager or post some really good discrete designs for researchers and hobbyists.   Besides, designing the famous sequencing Mustang tail lights for Ford, many ICs for electronic ignitions, and early and advanced VCOs /  Phase Detectors for Motorola, he insured the group had a high level of credibility to it.    Many say all do all Analog things in software, Jim would  rather do the same complex task with a few current sources and just transistors, plus the odd op-amp or two.

Amazing how selfless service to others could quiet things down on an un-moderated group.  In a way,  He quieted things down by inducing more noise!

Now the only reason I read SED once in a while,  is to see what Phil Hobbs or Winfield Hill are working on.

Here, have a trip down memory lane, looking at the patents, discrete bandgaps,   posted designs, lessons on SPICE and curve fitting.

Note many of the problems, reverse protection, low dropout regulators, lab power supplies,  WWVB receivers, Lm3909 replacement, band gaps, are age old newsgroup questions we still see repeated in the  PDTS section of EEVblog today.

https://electrooptical.net/static/oldsite/www.analog-innovations.com/analog-innovations.html

https://electrooptical.net/static/oldsite/www.analog-innovations.com/SED.html   (Circuits are here..)

Steve

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 12:29:23 am by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2021, 02:49:51 am »
Got to admit I did a few smiles from this thread, but at the same time feel sorry for the OP.

Thread also prompts me to think how I would do such a thing if I wanted to move some on who lived close to me.
A devious side has already thought of a few ways, so its not impossible.
Sounds like the sort of thing an expert electronics fiend might get up to if he wanted to cause mischief.
But I note that as per usual he has tried none of the suggestions or methods of detection.
If he wants some help he needs to be a bit more active, I would be interested, this is his thread.

And yes whinge pool certainly is over the limit, its good to sometimes to check the silly rumors floating around.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:02:31 am by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2022, 07:45:26 pm »
- find me, "see me", locate me anywhere I go in my unit?

technically this is possible, and such equipment are exist. But this is very expensive and complicated thing. So there is almost no chance that your neighbor have access to such equipment :)

Does it sound to you that they have an RF signal generator?   Or microwave signal generator?  I bought a meter to measure units.

No, it looks more like paranoid. Most of all, you invented it all and believed it.

I wish, people would not beleive the episodes I could tell them. All people want is a safe and quiet place to live. But the churners want a constant stream of new tenants so the rents keep going up, more and more. They pay off politicians. They will do anything to turn these old buildings into gold, their El Dorado...such money does not exist in these communities..

I should upload the photos I took of how a neighbor downstairs filled his unit with garbage.. almost completely to help drive his neighbors from my former building so the apartments could be sold as condos..for $1.5 million dollars each..

We are thankful no arson was involved.. See this web page..
https://hudsonreporter.com/2020/02/27/gentrification-by-fire/  These fires hurt a lot of people..Skin grafts are difficult and expensive..

But if you are paranoid, it doesn’t mean that you are not being spied  :-DD

Landlords get money to tear their buildings down if they use "obsolete" natural gas..

https://nextcity.org/history-of-gentrification

Americans cant afford America, but many others want to buy up our  housing. They pay top dollar. It gives them a safe place to stash their cash.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 08:13:10 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2022, 08:15:58 pm »
Got to admit I did a few smiles from this thread, but at the same time feel sorry for the OP.

Thread also prompts me to think how I would do such a thing if I wanted to move some on who lived close to me.
A devious side has already thought of a few ways, so its not impossible.
Sounds like the sort of thing an expert electronics fiend might get up to if he wanted to cause mischief.
But I note that as per usual he has tried none of the suggestions or methods of detection.
If he wants some help he needs to be a bit more active, I would be interested, this is his thread.

And yes whinge pool certainly is over the limit, its good to sometimes to check the silly rumors floating around.

To keep a good job, a working man has to have some sleep, so often they try to disrupt the tenant's sleep. When that happens, people have no choice but to move.  (Assuming they have perfect credit, a co signer, parents, etc. )

« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 08:17:37 pm by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2022, 08:24:43 pm »
FYI some of these forums have been bought up by big money players to use in some kind of internet war. They are not real forums any more but they still exist. I have still not figured out exactly whats going on but it isnt real.
Usenet still exists but Google has made lots of people think they own it.

There is a corporate takeover of the world happening.I suspect. Its been going on since 1987 or so.
 Any place thats nice is being gentrified up too. Pray!

I joined a moderated newsgroup once (don't recall how that worked actually) and it was insane.  They didn't allow much of anything including asking why the group was so quiet.  Seems that is a meta-discussion and not allowed.  They would get posts per week...  maybe.   I think I had more discussion with the moderator about why my posts were rejected than the posts to the group itself.

Was it the so called "Information Gerrymandering" do you think?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 08:31:44 pm by cdev »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2022, 08:35:59 pm »
Why the necroposts? The thread was dead and burried.  :-//
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, MK14, jpanhalt

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2022, 06:41:18 am »
Sorry, but I'll try to make my opinion the least negative as possible:
   Where, and what,  (else) did the Property Manager do, besides make 1 suggestion, how YOU can do some managing on your own ?  Or, actually that was plural, so it's an active Management Team ? Great...(no, not really).  Perhaps you could MOVE, after documenting your communication, re: 'Property Manager Obligations'.  But don't start no war there; just check with an actual Attorney, what you could document, on your way out.

I'm thinking: 'Pesticide Bug Spray'!  Mentioned once.
So that's STILL going on (strong smell) ?  I'm not a chemist, nor Attorney.  Maybe County Health Dept. as they have health and safety people, to suggest or run whatever test if needed.
  But what I noticed, straight away: You enter another space, knocking on doors like that.  Once is an appropriate action, maybe newly.  But neighbor guy seemed immediately expressing concern...that's not your space, at his door (repeatedly).  I made that (slightly) pompous assumption myself, in the past, and you've said he "refused' your REPEATED contacts, knocking on his door there.  Oh yeah and "After 8:30", again according to your rules of conduct.
   Doesn't make you a bad person, but, like I did, out of line.  Heck, maybe just see, maybe a change, move to a nicer area, cheaper rental deal (with actual Property Management), and don starta no wars.

As to EMF;. I've seen Engineers go for that (hoax), hilarious, almost, watching metal 'grounding' plates get installed...under each electronics work bench. (They then re-installed the wood benchtop surface over the 1/8 inch plates).  That was my Engineering Dept boss, letting the EMF consultants run amok.
   Kinda funny, now, but he was incompetent.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2022, 06:49:39 am »
I had a device once that was false triggering when on top of a ESD mat, if you put a textbook under the device to lift it up a little, it would stop resetting MCU (or maybe it was making some data stream go wonky, I forgot what it was because this was a alpha prototype 10 years ago). It was clean, not a surface conduction issue. This is the two-material professional ESD mat. I think I ended up putting 1 inch standoffs on it so it behaves.

Metal work surface is part of LISN standard, but thats a whole different thing .
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:56:17 am by coppercone2 »

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2022, 10:18:19 pm »
Quote from: vk6zgo link=topic=272118.msg3504908#msg3504908
At that point, I just withdraw, & look at the display on my [b
Cathode Ray Oscilloscope[/b] till the annoyance wears off.

Unfortunately, apart from the CRT, it is solid state, so I really need to fix a few bits of equipment using only "electron tubes" to really chill out.

As with Corona virus, I find avoidance is the best policy, so I haven't been on AAC for months.

I never thought about it before, but for those who like Vacuum tubes, I suppose "less" is "more". 

I would love them, except for the waste heat.  I wonder what it would take to develop a room temperature vacuum tube without the cathode heater.  Then they could be combined with room temperature superconductors! 

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2022, 10:21:00 pm »
FYI some of these forums have been bought up by big money players to use in some kind of internet war. They are not real forums any more but they still exist. I have still not figured out exactly whats going on but it isnt real.
Usenet still exists but Google has made lots of people think they own it.

There is a corporate takeover of the world happening.I suspect. Its been going on since 1987 or so.
 Any place thats nice is being gentrified up too. Pray!

Was it the so called "Information Gerrymandering" do you think?

I don't recall anyone there named Gerry.  I think it was just moderation, in the true sense of the word. 

Not everything is about politics and politics is certainly not about everything.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2022, 12:59:21 am »
I never thought about it before, but for those who like Vacuum tubes, I suppose "less" is "more". 

I would love them, except for the waste heat.  I wonder what it would take to develop a room temperature vacuum tube without the cathode heater.  Then they could be combined with room temperature superconductors!

The heat is not always wasted. It's great to fire up a piece of vintage tube gear on a cold winter day, the combination of heat and that  musty smell of hot dust always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf