Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

What F-conns to use with Belden 1694a RG6 coax?

(1/1)

iXod:
Doing an install this weekend of a broadcast TV antenna on my roof. Have Belden 1694a RG6 coax. I also bought PPC-Belden EX6PLUS compression F-connectors. These seem very hard to slip onto the stripped & prep’d coax. VERY hard.

What compression F-connectors are recommended for this coax?

Should I be concerned about changing the impedance when forcing the connector (which must be modifying the shield diameter)?

Thanks,
iX

ConKbot:
It's normal for compression fittings to be tight. Not a lot movement to be had by pushing in the plastic collar, so it has to be tight to start with.  Is it "hard to slip on" by hand ? Or "hard to slip on" with a tool?  My crimp tool comes with a hex shaped cutout on the base of it to sit the connector in while you push the coax in. It takes a lot of force, but it does slide into place, and I couldnt imagine trying with just bare hands.

Geoff-AU:
Are you prepping the coax properly?

I was doing some quad-shield recently under the influence of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and the connector really didn't want to go.  Turns out, with quad-shield, you're supposed to fold back the outer braid, nick the foil layer with a knife and remove it, and then fold back the inner braid.  Leave the innermost foil wrapped around the dielectric, and the connector slides on easily.

I wasn't removing the middle foil layer, I was folding it back.  No dice, couldn't even force the connector on.

jonpaul:
Bonjour we used that Belden 1694A SDI 6 ghz cable in TX research 2014.
https://catalog.belden.com/index.cfm?event=pd&p=PF_1694A&tab=downloads

See the Belden specs, application notes, and forum, especially by our old friend Steve Lampen

6 ghz cable bandwidth requires genuine Belden crimp connectors, tools and dies.

Belden provides a kit with everything needed.

Bon courage

Jon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version