Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?  (Read 251419 times)

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »
This guy outlines most of the important stuff:

http://www.w8ji.com/station_ground.htm

Thanks for the link. Yea that guy has a setup way, way more complicated than mine. But yes my ground is the same as mains ground. I just measured the resistance from my ground wire to an outlet ground and it's 0.2 ohms. All I did was run a very good large gauge copper wire to the copper water pipe ground. It's not a different ground than the mains ground.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2013, 12:08:19 pm »
I wish I had interest, but it's going away very quickly. :(

I wish I had some inspiration for you, but I have none.  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2013, 12:39:33 pm »
All I can think to myself is, “blah, blah, I couldn’t care less that it’s automatic and local control”. I think that’s what goes through most people’s heads and that’s why they don’t get it.

Most amateurs probably couldn't care less either, and probably forget that detail soon after passing (luckily there's no re-testing!). 

The main things to know are operating basics and band limits to avoid going out of band.

Repeaters (to which that question pertains) is just a small aspect of ham radio and there's a lot more that may be of interest besides.

NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2013, 12:42:15 pm »
Thanks for the link.

Sweet, at a couple hundred million volts the game changes!   :scared: 

Sounds like you're in good shape, you'll meet lots of good people locally on 2m.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »
I got the final PL-259 soldered on. But I made the same mistake I've made time and again even though I've been in electronics my whole life - the first one I soldered on I forgot to put the stupid outside shell on the cable first.

:rant:

Idiot. So I had to cut it off and do it all over again.

I got the 80 w soldering iron in the mail but it turned out to be a total and complete piece of crap. In fact I considered it dangerous. When I plugged it into an outlet it went in with almost zero force. For some reason the size of the plug prongs was too small and barely made any contact with the outlet! I don't think I've ever seen that before in my whole life. It was just the crappiest piece of Chinese junk I've ever seen. Then when I tried to spread the prongs a bit to make contact - they simply cracked the plug housing. Into the trash it went.

I used the old Weller soldering gun again and got it done. But it does work now and I have a good signal.

Offline romovs

• Contributor
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2013, 11:51:20 pm »
Chinese plugs are just shorter and narrower than the standard US plug by ~0.5mm.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2013, 05:19:57 pm »
Chinese plugs are just shorter and narrower than the standard US plug by ~0.5mm.

But I don't live in China.  :-//

Telequipment

« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2013, 06:22:20 pm »

But I don't live in China.  :-//
That's the problem , if you did they would fit & you wouldn't have a problem :-DD
Actually I had the same problem, never bought wun hung lo plugs again, take it back.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2013, 06:25:09 pm »
That's the problem , if you did they would fit & you wouldn't have a problem :-DD
Actually I had the same problem, never bought wun hung lo plugs again, take it back.

Ah you're right. It takes me a while to catch on.  :palm:

Telequipment

« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2013, 07:09:27 pm »

Ah you're right. It takes me a while to catch on.  :palm:
I'm have fun to at the moment I have and old Heathkit IM2201  bench multimeter, so accurate it's unbelievable, try finding a power cord for the sucker is another thing, so I'm going to take the old USA socket out and fitting a UK one in it's place, I like this old Heathkit Bench meter, it came from Michigan , plus I have to put a UK 250v transformer in it to, on Batteries at the moment.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:33 am »
It used to be sitting up all night talking to people on the other side of the world for free was a big deal. Now, here we are.

Yep, it used to be something amazing, but I don't think young people today would consider it anything all that great. We've kinda got into that before in this thread. Of course I can't do that on 2m or 70 cm, but even using repeaters and HTs it's not anything better than what cell phones can do around town with less equipment (no mobile ant. or installation required). In fact it's LESS capable than a cell phone because I can't send pics, take pics or video, send texts, make calendar entries, use a calculator, play a game ... I suppose in some sense a ham HT would work in an emergency, provided the repeater had power of course. 
If the repeater had no power an HT theoretically could talk to someone else - if anyone was listening that could do anything to help you. Right.  :( If there was that kind of emergency, the answer back would probably be something like "We hear you and we'll get to you after we get the power back to the cell towers"

If I go on trips around town what do I make sure not to leave behind - my cell phone or my HT? There's you answer. ???

But, it's a hobby so I'll press on because I remember when it really was something few people could do any other way. Oh the memories.

That's the point,it's a hobby!

For some reason,Ham Radio seems to be the only pastime that has to prove itself relevant in these times.

Yachting?----Every year,dozens of yachts compete in the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race.
Why would you want to do this trip in a sailboat,when you could fly from Sydney to Hobart in a couple of hours?

Hunting?---You can buy meat at the Butcher!

Fishing?----You can buy fish at the Supermart!

Gardening?---You can buy flowers at the Florist & vegetables at the Supermart!

Archery?------Why not use a rifle?

Football? -----If all those blokes want the football so much,they can buy their own!

See,it sounds stupid for these other activities,so how is it a useful comment when used about Ham Radio?

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2013, 09:58:18 am »
I've been accumulating radio equipment (receivers, transmitters and transceivers - mostly vintage tube) for the last ~15 years. I'm now at a point where my "shack" is constructed and organized to the extent that I can finally begin planning the final bit - working out and erecting the backyard antennas and sitting for my HAM license. My motivation is entirely centered around an interest in restoring, maintaining and working the old equipment, rather than using it as a substitute for modern methods of communication. It is quite irrelevant to me that I can communicate with others across the globe much more efficently via the internet!  ::)

As for the HAM license, I have to say that to date I haven't even looked into what's involved to pass or made inquiries to the appropriate authority, save that my aim is to qualify for the "Advanced" certificate as that gets me onto 160m and 2200m.

So what is the most expedient course of action to get that out of the way? I'd really prefer NOT to join any kind of exclusive club for assistance (I have enough worldly experience at this stage of my life to know that is something to be avoided). Does being an employed, qualified "Electronics Technician" get me any up front credit? I don't think that there is anything much on the electrical theory side that I would have to learn, except perhaps for some theory on antenna operation, but I'd definitely need to read up on the rules and regulations.

Also, is there anyone out there experimenting with operation on 2200m or know of any good, authoritative HAM references/texts on the use of the band? There really isn't a great deal out there that I can find.

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Telequipment

« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:15 am »
I've been accumulating radio equipment (receivers, transmitters and transceivers - mostly vintage tube) for the last ~15 years. I'm now at a point where my "shack" is constructed and organized to the extent that I can finally begin planning the final bit - working out and erecting the backyard antennas and sitting for my HAM license. My motivation is entirely centered around an interest in restoring, maintaining and working the old equipment, rather than using it as a substitute for modern methods of communication. It is quite irrelevant to me that I can communicate with others across the globe much more efficently via the internet!  ::)

As for the HAM license, I have to say that to date I haven't even looked into what's involved to pass or made inquiries to the appropriate authority, save that my aim is to qualify for the "Advanced" certificate as that gets me onto 160m and 2200m.

So what is the most expedient course of action to get that out of the way? I'd really prefer NOT to join any kind of exclusive club for assistance (I have enough worldly experience at this stage of my life to know that is something to be avoided). Does being an employed, qualified "Electronics Technician" get me any up front credit? I don't think that there is anything much on the electrical theory side that I would have to learn, except perhaps for some theory on antenna operation, but I'd definitely need to read up on the rules and regulations.

Also, is there anyone out there experimenting with operation on 2200m or know of any good, authoritative HAM references/texts on the use of the band? There really isn't a great deal out there that I can find.
Some advice I can give with antenna's, buy a good book written by a radio ham on wire antennas, this will save you a small fortune, I learned this from bitter experience, if you have a mast or tower, make sure you can put it up or down on your own, , learn how to make traps, for multiband operations. then the ham test, not sure if Morse code is still a requirement, if it is I found learning it easier in small and often pieces again from bitter experience, my fist attempt , left me thinking I'll never get this, then a fellow radio ham took me under his wing , 6 months and I took the 12 wpm test we had over here, I passed it at 20 wpm with ease :-+, so good luck hope it goes well, and I hope to speak to you some day soon.
Paul  de M0BSW
ps Try getting a copy of a test sheet it will give an idea what you need to do for the test, I'm not a club person either I won't commit my time to any club.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:14:53 am by Telequipment »

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2013, 10:42:47 am »

There's a fair bit about licensing on the WIA website - www.wia.org.au   The Amateur FAQ is also good http://vkfaq.ampr.org/index.php

http://www.wia.org.au/licenses/licensing/rpl/ makes provision for recognition of prior learning eg tech quals.   Although it might just be simpler/cheaper to sit the Advanced theory exam at the same time as doing regulations.

All you need to know about the regulations is in the amateur section of acma.gov.au

No need to join any club. Clubs often run exams but membership and course attendance are optional and exams available to all comers.

I don't know how good it is but the RSGB have a book on 2200m & 630m on special at the moment  http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Low_Frequency_43.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:47:18 am by vk3yedotcom »
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2013, 10:55:05 am »
Thanks! I particularly like the book reference. It's a pity136kHz isn't a legal HAM band in America; there would be a lot more literature on the topic if it was.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2013, 11:00:05 am »

For some reason,Ham Radio seems to be the only pastime that has to prove itself relevant in these times.

Yachting?----Every year,dozens of yachts compete in the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race.
Why would you want to do this trip in a sailboat,when you could fly from Sydney to Hobart in a couple of hours?

Hunting?---You can buy meat at the Butcher!...

See,it sounds stupid for these other activities,so how is it a useful comment when used about Ham Radio?

You're missing the whole point unfortunately. It is a hobby and doesn't have to justify itself as you said. It is, however, a matter of how interesting the hobby is to young people. For example fishing - there is no substitute for catching a real fish in the wild unless you go out and fish for one. Same thing for hunting. There is no modern "invention" that renders these hobbies irrelevant as far as fun goes. Going to a grocery store and buying a fish isn't an interesting or fun substitute for fishing for one yourself.

As far as Ham radio, there is an interesting and fun substitute for communicating with people from a handheld device. It's called a cell phone. There is an interesting and fun substitute for communicating with people all over the world without an HF rig and antenna. It's called the Internet and Skype. Those are the points you are missing.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:16 am »
not sure if Morse code is still a requirement

No, not anymore. It's been dropped for an number of years now, AFAIK.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2013, 11:14:06 am »
Thanks! I particularly like the book reference. It's a pity136kHz isn't a legal HAM band in America; there would be a lot more literature on the topic if it was.

Although the Americans have a licence-free band at 160 - 190 kHz.  They're limited to 1w and some of the techniques could be useful for 136 kHz.  Search LowFER. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LowFER

In the 1980s/1990s a few Australian amateurs got experimental licences for around 196 kHz.  There were some articles published in Amateur Radio magazine (I think there's an index online somewhere).

Telequipment

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2013, 11:32:31 am »
not sure if Morse code is still a requirement

No, not anymore. It's been dropped for an number of years now, AFAIK.
Oh good, I don't think it is a requirement over here in the UK anymore, may be wrong , it's been so long since I did it, for me it was the biggest obstacle, only determination pulled me through, and never used it since I passed.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2013, 12:23:59 pm »

Hunting?---You can buy meat at the Butcher!...

You're missing the whole point unfortunately. It is a hobby and doesn't have to justify itself as you said. It is, however, a matter of how interesting the hobby is to young people. For example fishing - there is no substitute for catching a real fish in the wild unless you go out and fish for one. Same thing for hunting. There is no modern "invention" that renders these hobbies irrelevant as far as fun goes. Going to a grocery store and buying a fish isn't an interesting or fun substitute for fishing for one yourself.

As far as Ham radio, there is an interesting and fun substitute for communicating with people from a handheld device. It's called a cell phone. There is an interesting and fun substitute for communicating with people all over the world without an HF rig and antenna. It's called the Internet and Skype. Those are the points you are missing.

A cellphone is a phone!--exactly like the old black Bakelite thing on the wall back in the day!
We have had International Subscriber Dialling since the 1960s,so if I wanted to,& didn't mind the bills,I could have randomly rung people all over the world back then.
Skype is basically a way to get cheap phone calls using the Internet---interesting & fun?

The Internet itself,---yeah,you can have arguments on forums like this,watch videos,& all sorts of stuff,but these things should also distract people from all the other activities I referred to.

My question is still,why should Ham Radio have to prove its relevance?

Going online and letting millions of dollars worth of Commercial communications system make a contact for you isn't "an interesting or fun substitute" for making one yourself.

Interesting to "young people"?
Young people turn inexorably in to middle aged,& then,old people,whose interests may be very different.
I don't really see that much growth in Ham Radio coming from the really young,but more from the 40s & older group.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2013, 01:18:58 pm »

Heh.  Those of us who still load (some of) our cameras with film often get asked similar questions ;)

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2013, 01:44:43 pm »
Heh.  Those of us who still load (some of) our cameras with film often get asked similar questions ;)
You got me cornered there :)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2013, 01:49:43 pm »
A cellphone is a phone!--exactly like the old black Bakelite thing on the wall back in the day!

No, it is significantly different compared to the thing on the wall. And I am not talking about the technology.

With the wall-thingy you actually don't call a person, you call a place and hope the desired person happens to be around. With a cell phone you call a person, not a place. To throw a buzzword around, that is a massive paradigm shift.

My question is still,why should Ham Radio have to prove its relevance?

Because hams claim they are relevant and superior. I have had countless events since my youth where hams tried to shove their alleged superiority in my face along the line of "move over, here comes the ham", "hams are the better persons", "only hams can do electronics" and whatnot. So put up or shut up.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline komet

• Supporter
  • Shenzhen Retroencabulator Mfg. Co.
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:03 pm »
Personally I'm not a ham, but if I were charged with making it more interesting to Young People, I would play up the fact that it is the only long-distance communication method that one can use without suckling at the teat of a corrupt, capitalist dictator-state use of third party services.

Many Young People have an interest in anarchism, anarcho-syndicalism, collectivism etc. and some of them might be uncomfortable with their conversations being relayed through billions of dollars of equipment belonging to The Man. Granted, one needs to initially get a license from The Man, but once set up with the equipment (plus a generator and a stockpile of fuel) (and guns to defend them) one is well placed to ride out the fall of western civilization. At least, that's what I'd be telling Young People. There's even some truth in it which appeals to me even though I've long capitulated to the Establishment.

Offline m0ofc

« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2013, 02:36:30 pm »
English Ham here, still plenty of people to talk to.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf