Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?  (Read 251834 times)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?
« Reply #700 on: November 26, 2020, 06:25:55 pm »
I mean, this is usually used to allow the police to chase people running away or driving through other peoples property or someone with a gun retreating into their house, people banging on windows or something like a drug dealer running into a bathroom with a bag of cocaine or whatever.. its not really relevant IMO. Those are common sense things that would make things ultra easy for criminals (well people with diplomatic immunity leaping over embassy walls running from cops still have this kind of 'privilege'). It's basically saying that your house is not a embassy or foreign border.
My point being that police have been found using those excuses for what would otherwise be illegal searches.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #701 on: November 26, 2020, 07:19:19 pm »
bd139 - you have a license for life now, can you even ditch it?

Expires every 5 years unless you notify Ofcom now. Think it came in with the M-prefixes. Just going to let it burn.
Not sure you can ever really get rid of it, you can surrender the callsign but all it really takes is an email to OFCOM to reactivate it (colleague has done just that).

Yeah probably can do that. If you choose to :)

Offline opabob

• Contributor
« Reply #702 on: November 26, 2020, 08:42:43 pm »

Watch video -

Oh yes, my old friend Mr. Fisher.  I remember getting a 900 baud modem so I wouldn't tie up the phone lines, conversing with him.
Why did the Diode kiss the Capacitor.
He just couldn't Resistor

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #703 on: November 27, 2020, 02:13:43 am »
Wouldn't you have to be actually doing something illegal with a radio transmitter to have that happen?

Also, I'm somebody who notices and remembers when people say really stupid or evil things, and I also spend a fair amount of time listening in the background to the HF and 70 cm bands.

I'm sure Ive heard that kind of stuff occasionally, but not recently. I hear people once in a while who I disagree with but to be honest, despite this recent quite contentious political season, the main thing I am walking away from it with is compassion for the problems people are having.

And I actually think lots of the people I hear are good at being diplomatic. Its not as bad here as the UK, I am gathering.

Caveat: I don't live in the South, which is perhaps a lot different, I don't know.

I live in a high population density area and there are a lot of smart people around here including smart hams.

Unfortunately, there aren't so many hams online - less than I expected there to be. And pre-built equipment is generally around two or three times more than I think it should be, from the parts it uses. Which is ridiculous.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:18:00 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #704 on: December 02, 2020, 07:32:29 pm »
HF conditions are picking up with the next solar cycle well underway.

Videos show activity on 14 - 28 MHz - running 5W CW & SSB.

NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #705 on: December 09, 2020, 07:02:53 pm »
These are the ones that get me. Raynet wankers:

We've got them over here too. We call them whackers. Their vehicles typically include light bars (and sometimes sirens), stick-on logos, half a dozen (or more) antennas, etc. The drivers of these "mobile command posts" often wear uniforms, have assigned ranks, and try to look as much like real emergency responders as possible (despite having no official affiliation with any of them).

Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #706 on: December 09, 2020, 07:13:20 pm »

We've got them over here too. We call them whackers. Their vehicles typically include light bars (and sometimes sirens), stick-on logos, half a dozen (or more) antennas, etc. The drivers of these "mobile command posts" often wear uniforms, have assigned ranks, and try to look as much like real emergency responders as possible (despite having no official affiliation with any of them).

If you make it to the UK, pay a visit to Bletchley park, it's really interesting but while you're there, drop into the RSGB "National Radio Centre" for a giggle, last time I was there they were wearing these:

https://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/jumpers/royal-navy-pullover-grade-1-1123618.html

Complete with shoulder flashes to denote 'position'.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #707 on: December 09, 2020, 08:11:01 pm »
Another similar thing popular over here are the so-called storm chasers. They usually drive an SUV festooned with weather vanes, light bars, antennas, video equipment, and similar stuff, and go chasing after tornados and other extreme weather, making nuisances of themselves and getting in the way. I'm not talking about the real storm chasers, who are usually affiliated with universities and/or government organizations, but rather the clueless amateur types.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #708 on: December 09, 2020, 08:14:44 pm »

If you make it to the UK, pay a visit to Bletchley park, it's really interesting but while you're there, drop into the RSGB "National Radio Centre" for a giggle, last time I was there they were wearing these:

https://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/jumpers/royal-navy-pullover-grade-1-1123618.html

Complete with shoulder flashes to denote 'position'.

That doesn’t surprise me at all. I’d compare their attire to 1980s bin men slightly too loudly  :-DD

I actually went to Bletchley last year. Well TNMOC anyway. Didn’t get to Bletchley in the end and quite honestly couldn’t face actually talking to any hams at NRC. I think that trip might have flipped me back to computing if I’m honest.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #709 on: December 09, 2020, 08:15:38 pm »
Another similar thing popular over here are the so-called storm chasers. They usually drive an SUV festooned with weather vanes, light bars, antennas, video equipment, and similar stuff, and go chasing after tornados and other extreme weather, making nuisances of themselves and getting in the way. I'm not talking about the real storm chasers, who are usually affiliated with universities and/or government organizations, but rather the clueless amateur types.

You misspelled dumbass there when you wrote “storm chaser” :)

The following users thanked this post: Sal Ammoniac

Offline dropkick

• Contributor
« Reply #710 on: December 10, 2020, 07:32:23 pm »
I'm guessing that vehicle's occupants are the two guys in the white t-shirts with the diet soda!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #711 on: December 10, 2020, 08:06:26 pm »
Yeah the two guys who are Baywatch extras.

Edit: put my glasses on now. Retracted last comment.

Offline Melt-O-Tronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Brilliant with a slaughtering iron in my hand!
« Reply #712 on: December 12, 2020, 05:34:22 pm »
Heh.  I may know one or both of those guys.   ;D

The caricatures of storm chasers we see on TV certainly appear to be whack-a-doodles.  I wouldn't assume that all are like that, but it does help to be a nutjob if you want to be on TV.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #713 on: December 12, 2020, 06:20:03 pm »
those raynet guys look suspect, I thought it was a legitimate goverment car at first

hint: put up a folded sign to indicate you are not with the goverment rather then painting your car (when you are parked at events).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 06:23:33 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #714 on: December 12, 2020, 06:55:46 pm »
Yeah but that would make them feel less important. I suspect a lot of them were rejected by the police or have some weird fantasy thing going on.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #715 on: December 12, 2020, 07:16:13 pm »
Yeah but that would make them feel less important. I suspect a lot of them were rejected by the police or have some weird fantasy thing going on.

Oh definitely, I *think* this guy is someone I knew years ago, he wanted to be an ambulance driver and failed several times.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/apr/28/8

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #716 on: December 12, 2020, 08:29:16 pm »

Oh definitely, I *think* this guy is someone I knew years ago, he wanted to be an ambulance driver and failed several times.

It wouldn’t surprise me. There used to be a guy I knew who was into CB that was like it as well. Told everyone he was the only person to have worked for all three emergency services. Turned out he was the only person to be rejected for all of them  :-DD

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #717 on: December 12, 2020, 09:16:49 pm »

It wouldn’t surprise me. There used to be a guy I knew who was into CB that was like it as well. Told everyone he was the only person to have worked for all three emergency services. Turned out he was the only person to be rejected for all of them  :-DD

I kinda hate to think there may be more than one of them but that guy was into CB as well, you didn't grow up in Manchester did you?

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #718 on: December 12, 2020, 10:10:08 pm »
a reasonable amature I think would put a banner up on the car in the car windows and have a fold out sign like a pizzeria not a dedicated radio car

I mean its kinda cool to think that someone can setup a radio vehicle but it really looks like a goverment thing, it is extremely unchill

Maybe if it said "HAM CLUB mobile command" I would feel better about it. Just calling something a command brings to mind incident management systems and all sorts of bureaucracy. I also feel like that kinda person is gonna start asking you for money or something. We are so fucking official we painted our car lol

And the way it says amature radio on the back bumper not near 'emergency' is kinda deceitful also. It should be in one place. It is confusing and makes it seem like a emergency vehicle. It needs to say CLUB on it because its a CLUB

Even NASA is more modest.

Maybe it should be a logo and thats it lol. Put a flag on it if you want it to be visible (like a box car race flag).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:17:54 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #719 on: December 12, 2020, 10:16:55 pm »
I kinda hate to think there may be more than one of them but that guy was into CB as well, you didn't grow up in Manchester did you?

No there were definitely more. London, Nottinghamshire, Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire here.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #720 on: December 17, 2020, 06:04:19 pm »
Wouldn't you have to be actually doing something illegal with a radio transmitter to have that happen?

Also, I'm somebody who notices and remembers when people say really stupid or evil things, and I also spend a fair amount of time listening in the background to the HF and 70 cm bands.
All that paranoia about an Evil Government is rather silly, frankly.

Why do you need a ham license? Well, it makes sense because a poorly operated station can do harm to essential services. Also, at least in Spain, we can be legally required to assist in emergencies. After all the privileges as amateur radio operators have a price :) Not that I have a problem, I was a volunteer at the local Red Cross of Sea base and, guess what? Upon saying "I am a ham" I was put in charge of communications.

So, mandatory inspections. I don't know about other countries, but in mine you certainly authorize the telecommunication authorities to inspect your equipment. Which means they can, well, inspect it. Ask me to turn it on, maybe measure it for spurious emissions or, of course, illegal power levels.

But, guess what? The telecommunication authorities don't care about us since many years ago because troublemaker illegal CB amplifiers are a thing of the past. And profanity on radio, although it shouldn't be done, is a non issue for them. This is not USA, where a stray tit shown on TV can mean a change of govwernment!

So, telecommunication authorities and hams? We don't cause troubles, mostly they have to investigate interference suffered by us rather than problems caused by us.

Carry on and enjoy the brand new solar cycle. Besides, ham radio will be full of crazy old guys if the youger wise ones just abandon ship.

Offline HB9EVI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #721 on: December 17, 2020, 06:55:33 pm »
a reasonable amature I think would put a banner up on the car in the car windows and have a fold out sign like a pizzeria not a dedicated radio car

I mean its kinda cool to think that someone can setup a radio vehicle but it really looks like a goverment thing, it is extremely unchill

it seems to be some amateurs attitude to show everybody that they are 'government certified radio amateurs'. But honestly, others do the same thing with their cars, their motorbikes or other kind of 'penis extensions'. I guess most of those posings seem to normal people rather kooky.

otherwise I have to agree with borjam. I never had any troubles with the regulation authorities.
It was not very kind from them confiscating all the Baofengs ordered by radio amateurs thus denying their ability to modify them up to code, but on the other side it's very much in our own interest, if the authorities have an eye on the market with all the crap that in the end messes up our frequencies too.

Indeed they have much more to do with all the crappy consumer electronics, and sometimes even us radio amateurs put their attention on the particular culprit standing innocently in neighbors living room, messing up all the spectrum.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #722 on: December 17, 2020, 07:02:41 pm »

All that paranoia about an Evil Government is rather silly, frankly.

Why do you need a ham license? Well, it makes sense because a poorly operated station can do harm to essential services. Also, at least in Spain, we can be legally required to assist in emergencies. After all the privileges as amateur radio operators have a price :) Not that I have a problem, I was a volunteer at the local Red Cross of Sea base and, guess what? Upon saying "I am a ham" I was put in charge of communications.

So, mandatory inspections. I don't know about other countries, but in mine you certainly authorize the telecommunication authorities to inspect your equipment. Which means they can, well, inspect it. Ask me to turn it on, maybe measure it for spurious emissions or, of course, illegal power levels.

But, guess what? The telecommunication authorities don't care about us since many years ago because troublemaker illegal CB amplifiers are a thing of the past. And profanity on radio, although it shouldn't be done, is a non issue for them. This is not USA, where a stray tit shown on TV can mean a change of government!

So, telecommunication authorities and hams? We don't cause troubles, mostly they have to investigate interference suffered by us rather than problems caused by us.

Carry on and enjoy the brand new solar cycle. Besides, ham radio will be full of crazy old guys if the younger wise ones just abandon ship.

If we want to see the best use made of the resource we would be smart to make it easier to invent new ways to use it for the benefit of all.

And not just commercially.  They should think about the educational value of ham radio, and try to make it easier for people to get on the air and comply with all relevant laws, maybe even  having FCC resources like a lab open where people could bring in equipment (homebrew or kits especially) to have it tested to ensure its not emitting spurious emissions a couple days out of the month for free. 

Kits save a lot of money, and promote a more knowledgeable kind of amateur.

We have to realize that the sciences bring a lot to the table in helping everybody, young and old, not only stay sane in these difficult times, also they offer global communities that are pushing us forward in ways we didn't have before.  And building self esteem.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #723 on: December 17, 2020, 07:30:41 pm »
If we want to see the best use made of the resource we would be smart to make it easier to invent new ways to use it for the benefit of all.

And not just commercially.  They should think about the educational value of ham radio, and try to make it easier for people to get on the air and comply with all relevant laws, maybe even  having FCC resources like a lab open where people could bring in equipment (homebrew or kits especially) to have it tested to ensure its not emitting spurious emissions a couple days out of the month for free. 

I just don't see the difficulty in getting a ham license, at least in the no-code USA.  The Technician and General-class licenses don't take much study, and all the info needed is on-line and free.  Taking the test is also easy, now that you no longer have to go to an FCC office.  I do have an Extra license, so perhaps I'm biased...

As for open labs, I think that most ham clubs will have some hams with good test equipment, who would be thrilled to mentor new hams in the technical side of the hobby.  I know my local ham club welcomes all hams regardless of their interests -- we've got preppers, emergency comms volunteers, ragchewers, DXers, and tech nerds (like me).

I do agree that ham radio can have a huge educational value, and can be a wonderful gateway into a rewarding professional career -- that's how it was for me.  Resources aren't the problem, interest is.  But much like the "minorities / women in STEM" issue, I don't think that lack of resources or institutional bias are what is keeping people out of ham radio.  Different people are interested in different things.

But encouragement and public role models might help some discover a latent enthusiasm for some aspects of ham radio.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #724 on: December 18, 2020, 07:01:35 am »
Not so simple, though. Look at air band VHF communications, still in good old AM.

I haven't tried and it isn't publicized widely, but in Spain you can do that. You can take your project and have it tested for free at the official lab. After all it's a timesaver for them as well :)

We have to realize that the sciences bring a lot to the table in helping everybody, young and old, not only stay sane in these difficult times, also they offer global communities that are pushing us forward in ways we didn't have before.  And building self esteem.
Of course! Sadly ham radio has become kinda invisible. Maybe IARU could start a global campaign showcasing the influence of people who happen to be amateur operators. From Nobel laureates to part of the creators of the TCP/IP protocol suite and how ham radio influenced them.

Lots of people would be really surprised!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf