Author Topic: Where to start, need to listen to 800-900Mhz range  (Read 1438 times)

Offline webtopTopic starter

• Contributor
Where to start, need to listen to 800-900Mhz range
« on: November 03, 2017, 08:34:46 pm »
I am trying to reverse engineer a device that uses an RF protocol, that transmits and receives in the 800-800Mhz range.

How would I go about building something to help me capture the packets being sent to/from this device, without tearing the device itself apart?

If this isn't possible, I can always buy a second copy of the device and solder some wires into the circuit to see what is going on, but before I do that I want to know if there is a circuit I can build to "listen" to this device.

Thanks for any and all help. Very much appreciated.
Paul

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
Re: Where to start, need to listen to 800-900Mhz range
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:46:57 pm »
I would be looking at the cheap SDR units being discussed here, and some software plug-ins to capture the I/Q data streams and work from there...

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 12:21:11 am »
Yes, cheap $10 dongles will work fine if you want to get a basic signal out of it. And then probably use some kind of virtual audio cable to connect the output of sdrsharp (the sdr software) to the decoding app.
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 12:36:47 am »
If you can wait till Christmas one of these could be helpful....

https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr-mini

(But you only get a 30MHz band at a time, which might not be  you are after....
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline scatha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:07:25 am »
I'd definitely lift the lid and see if there is an easy way to access the baseband data (transceiver SPI ports, etc). If so it will be much, much quicker to do this rather than capturing the IQ data, establishing the modulation/coding scheme, then demodulating.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:43:28 am »
I just watched a really excellent YouTube video: Michael Ossmann: Simple RF Circuit Design
Mr. Ossmann designed very popular products like HackRF One, Ubertooth One and YARD Stick One, etc.
One of the most valuable parts of the presentation was his recommendation to use SDR as a great budget-price form of test gear.  Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/TnRn3Kn_aXg?t=57m30s

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf