Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

Why are there so few 105C rated embedded WIFI solutions??......

(1/3) > >>

Smokey:
There are only a couple of options for adding wifi to an embedded system with elevated temperature requirements.  Almost all the chips stop at 85C.  It seems like there should be a bigger market for at least 105C rated parts....

I've only found one part that's actually in stock anywhere, but it's pretty expensive:
SiLabs WF200DR
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/368/wf200_datasheet-1633290.pdf

There is an NXP part that looks hard to get in small quantities:
NXP 88W8987
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/88W8987_SDS.pdf

And a part from TI that isn't available yet...
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc3300.pdf

.... and yes... I know... ESP32...

What do the automotive guys do for this? I know it's not ESP32. 
It looks like there are some new parts coming out specifically for automotive WIFI, but I have a hard time designing in a part when TI won't give me a date they will actually be available in distribution.

What other 105C rated WIFI solutions am I missing?

tszaboo:
Industrial temperature ranges and Wifi makes very little sense to me. One expects a highly demanding, high reliability environment, where a connection loss could be damaging. The other, where connection is optional, with unreliable wifi.
How do you even power your device? Do you already have a battery wich is rated to 105C? If so, then the cost of the wifi chip is the least of youf concern. And if you power the device through a cable, why do you need wifi in the first place?

Automotive is different, because the infotainment systems usually have much worse rating than the rest of the car.

voltsandjolts:

--- Quote from: Smokey on March 27, 2023, 02:06:12 am ---Almost all the chips stop at 85C

--- End quote ---

Many chips will operate above manufacturer temperature ratings. Try one and you might be surprised. Of course for production use it would be a bit risky.

Smokey:

--- Quote from: tszaboo on March 27, 2023, 10:14:11 am ---Industrial temperature ranges and Wifi makes very little sense to me. One expects a highly demanding, high reliability environment, where a connection loss could be damaging. The other, where connection is optional, with unreliable wifi.
How do you even power your device? Do you already have a battery wich is rated to 105C? If so, then the cost of the wifi chip is the least of youf concern. And if you power the device through a cable, why do you need wifi in the first place?

Automotive is different, because the infotainment systems usually have much worse rating than the rest of the car.

--- End quote ---

It is for automotive.  It's essentially a wifi data link for monitoring and data logging download.  A connection loss would not be damaging, just annoying.  But it would be great if someone happened to be driving through phoenix in the summer that it didn't spontaneously combust.

TheUnnamedNewbie:
Infotainment systems in automotive are generally much lower rated (I think Grade 3 usually, which is 85C). This is because of the combination of being in-cabin and non-safety critical.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version