Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

YAESU FT-817ND WITH STRANGE PROBLEM (MENU IS CRAZY)

(1/1)

bachtoon:
Hi all.
Sorry for my English.

I have a mission for you, should you accept it?  ;D
I have an 817ND with a unique problem in the world :-(
after a few years in its box, i turned on the device and the menu and the values ​​change on their own ...
At each restart, -the contract is at full or very low with a value of 255 !, the beeps are very loud, the frequency has changed to 1.8mhz, mic gain at 0, rf gain mode activated,
the led screen light off (COLO writed in menu choice !).
Has it gone completely crazy? But once fixed it works fine.  When I turn it off, then turn it on, again change everything ...
I have done multiple reset and hard reset, always the same problem.
Is it possible to put the original program back into the device chip?
Have you seen and repaired this kind of problem please?  Could you help me ?  Thank you so much.

Best regards from Belgium.

A.Z.:

--- Quote from: bachtoon on May 05, 2021, 07:40:42 am ---after a few years in its box, i turned on the device and the menu and the values ​​change on their own ...
[...]
once fixed it works fine.  When I turn it off, then turn it on, again change everything ...

--- End quote ---

Shooting in the dark, but... I suspect the internal battery may be totally off-duty and isn't charging, in such a case the settings will reset to hw defaults upon each power up, if that's the case, then replacing the battery with a new one (and fully charging it) should probably solve the issue; for further infos, see the rig manual here and in particular, the infos about storing the rig for more than 10 days; also notice that if the rig was stored with batteries installed, the batteries may have leaked and damaged the circuitry

DC1MC:

--- Quote from: A.Z. on May 05, 2021, 07:59:01 am ---
--- Quote from: bachtoon on May 05, 2021, 07:40:42 am ---after a few years in its box, i turned on the device and the menu and the values ​​change on their own ...
[...]
once fixed it works fine.  When I turn it off, then turn it on, again change everything ...

--- End quote ---

Shooting in the dark, but... I suspect the internal battery may be totally off-duty and isn't charging, in such a case the settings will reset to hw defaults upon each power up, if that's the case, then replacing the battery with a new one (and fully charging it) should probably solve the issue; for further infos, see the rig manual here and in particular, the infos about storing the rig for more than 10 days; also notice that if the rig was stored with batteries installed, the batteries may have leaked and damaged the circuitry

--- End quote ---

The battery leaking part is valid but for FT-817ND the settings are stored in an EEPROM, there is no internal battery.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

bachtoon:
I just ordered an 818nd .. I am selling the 817nd...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version