Author Topic: any open source digital-measuring tape?  (Read 5148 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
any open source digital-measuring tape?
« on: April 24, 2021, 10:40:27 pm »
I need to build one with the resolution of 1mm, the tape I need should measure things within 2m.

Let me know  :D
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: any open source digital-measuring tape?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 04:11:36 pm »

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 06:56:40 pm »
There's also this idea:

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 05:34:06 pm »
Such a mouse has a tiny camera in it.
If you use a regular tape measure and a webcam fixed to it, you can use image recognition software to analyse the position of the measure tape.
If you also look at the numbers on the tape measure, you can even make it an absolute encoder.

Camera modules can be quite small and cheap these days. The bigger problem would be a brainbox with enough brain power to run the image recognition algorithms, and small battery drain power for a decent lifetime (If it's battery powered).

The following users thanked this post: ledtester

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 09:49:08 am »
I was also thinking about a 2 meter tape measure. But you don't need any fancy image recognition, just a few optical readers (photocells focused on the scale). And a mark on the back or a small hole drilled in the tape can serve as the zero reference. A few logic chips or a processor like Arduino or just a plain PIC could easily handle the logic.

Such a mouse has a tiny camera in it.
If you use a regular tape measure and a webcam fixed to it, you can use image recognition software to analyse the position of the measure tape.
If you also look at the numbers on the tape measure, you can even make it an absolute encoder.

Camera modules can be quite small and cheap these days. The bigger problem would be a brainbox with enough brain power to run the image recognition algorithms, and small battery drain power for a decent lifetime (If it's battery powered).
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 12:02:33 pm »
I was also thinking about a 2 meter tape measure. But you don't need any fancy image recognition, just a few optical readers (photocells focused on the scale). And a mark on the back or a small hole drilled in the tape can serve as the zero reference. A few logic chips or a processor like Arduino or just a plain PIC could easily handle the logic.

A friend located in Estonia sent me a very unique "soviet ultrasonic sensor", and I made a contact-less measuring unit under the precision of 50mm, with a range of 300...900mm. It requires a very precise 16bit timer able to operate with a scale of 10usec. Nice piece of semi-vintage technology (I think the ultrasonic parts were made in 2010) but in original soviet color and shape. It's big and heavy, and looks like something bade during the cold war, but I like it.

Then I bought a couple of industrial meter-tape units, and I attached an optical-flow on the top, this way the optical sensor is able to read the marks on the tape. It works with the precision of 2mm, with a range of 10..1200mm. It requires a 50Kbit/sec SPI line and 2Kbyte of ram of the pattern-image.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf