Author Topic: Geting started with PLCs  (Read 16405 times)

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
Re: Geting started with PLCs
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 06:55:31 pm »
When I said the Click series PLC from Automation Direct is cheap I meant you can get a full functional PLC for $70. Software is free.

Offline ijchan223

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2021, 02:09:45 am »
For budget projects, we use Click PLC by Koyo under 100 USD

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2021, 07:37:02 pm »
I see some series they sell:

Productivity Series Controllers
Do-more Series (BRX, H2, T1H) PLCs (Micro Modular & Stackable)
DirectLogic Series PLCs (Micro to Small, Brick & Modular)
CLICK Series PLCs (Stackable Micro Brick)

Instead of loosing some days in the specs, I ask here:
Are they somewhat related, or just a collection of worldwide rebrands?
What are the major spec differences ?

The Directlogic was to original line of PLC that AutomationDirect carries by Koyo. The Click also a products of Koyo. The Do More series is developed by Host Engineering and uses some of the Koyo hardware. The Productivity developed by Facts Engineering.

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo

Offline Kracin

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2021, 06:58:27 pm »
I'm a PLC programmer by career. I always recommend first-timers to purchase a MicroLogix 1100 series from Rockwell Automation. The software for that specific model is free and is something is widely used in the industry.

Others have recommended a number of PLCs and platforms that are also acceptable, but I personally have not seen many of them in the field (in North American plants).

If you need a guide on how to get the software, including an emulator of the PLC, if you don't want to spend any $, here's one: https://www.solisplc.com/tutorials/downloading-a-free-copy-of-rslogix-500-rslogix-500-emulate-rslinx

Also, you can get a MicroLogix 1100 on eBay for 150-200$ USD.

All the best and feel free to reach out if you have questions,
Vlad

rslogix 500 lite is free, but limited in functionality. and any of the micrologix 1000 and 1100 will be phased out now (1100s being phased out beginning of the year).

even though I work primarily with AB, I would still recommend just getting either Click, or Do-more from automation direct. free software, and FREE SUPPORT!

if you get stuck wiring it, programming it, have issues you can't resolve. the support is free, which is awesome considering how the rest of the industry is.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2021, 08:37:22 pm »
Buy a handfull of 74xxxx series logic chips (spice simulator) and build all the basic logic "primitives" with them, then look up how to interpret logic between ladder and design symbols.

Then you can find some PLC to program ladder.

I always cringe when "higher level language" programmers whine about the PLC languages or lack of modern Oop specific features etc.. I suggest they try to someday to reverse-engineer on-fly someones (large/massive) PLC  code, which was done "on-fly" (and lost up-to-date documentation) and say if some abstraction and data-hiding would make life easier. Usually even structured text IDEs and debuggers are p.i.t.a. In other hand ladder and fbd are better developed in my experience what comes to online visualisation and debugging features. Besides PLCs are all about reliabily (or at least were) and cycle time. Not to mention that half of the programming is hardwired components and physics outside the PLC.
Then you can add scada with true objects and heritage and overloading and all other bells and whistless to actually handle the big data in a few second sweeps.

These graphical languages are actually pretty abstract rebresentation of code already. Not to mention hardly used SFC, which is already closer to petrinets and uml-charts by heritage.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 08:59:31 pm by Vtile »

Offline bill_c

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2021, 06:06:59 am »
Automatic Destruct Automation Direct has some pretty cheap stuff, great for learning.  I have found them to have poor long term reliability, so keep that in mind when it comes to long term projects.

Offline semir-t

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2021, 08:10:20 am »
When I started learning ladder logic I used Allen Bradelys  Logix Pro application. It has a good simulation examples that you can play with. You have a basic blocks like inputs,outputs, timers,counters .

Offline rooppoorali

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2022, 12:55:07 pm »
Free PLC programming software list
WinProLadder PLC software
I-TriLoGi
WPLSoft
Micro Ladder
Open PLC editor
Do- more Designer

Offline bidrohini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2022, 07:05:07 am »
I can suggest a good series on PLC programming. This is the starter: https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/2015/01/introduction-to-plc.html
You can go through the whole series.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf