Electronics > Mechanical & Automation Engineering

Robo-Cab Predictions

<< < (31/32) > >>

Mr. Scram:

--- Quote from: vk6zgo on May 26, 2019, 02:34:30 am ---Even though the continuing "accident toll" is an ongoing concern, the numbers of cars driven by humans are vast, as are the km/miles travelled, over many years, & in all sorts of road conditions.

The vast majority of the trips taken are safely completed.

On the other hand, there are a handful of self driving vehicles, some of which have already had accidents leading to death.

The argument is "We have operated this vehicle for X number of miles, which is more than the average driver does in Y time, hence, it is safer, statistically."

This reminds me of when germanium transistors first started to be widely used.

We were told "Accelerated life tests & statistics prove that these devices will have lifetimes far in excess of vacuum tubes----- of the order of twenty years!"

When they started to die after a few months to a year, we had to re-evaluate that information!

--- End quote ---
Humans are fairly terrible drivers. The vast majority of trips are safely completed, but literally millions die each year for very similar reasons. Fatigue, substance abuse, distraction. Getting it mostly right doesn't seem that comforting, especially if it's your loved one.

FrankT:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on May 15, 2019, 06:49:19 am ---
PREDICTION #3:
Johnny Cab won't happen. People will detest humanoid robots trying to interact with them.

--- End quote ---

2020 - Japan is promising a fleet of self driving taxis for the 2020 olympics.

FrankT:
Would vision only systems be confused by sidewalk-style art?

wilfred:

--- Quote from: FrankT on July 10, 2019, 06:24:17 am ---2020 - Japan is promising a fleet of self driving taxis for the 2020 olympics.

--- End quote ---

Will they be operating on public roads or just ferrying people around a closed circuit in the Olympic precinct?

Japan premiered the Shinkansen for the 1964 Olympics so they have some cred. Still skeptical though. The whole autonomous vehicle thing seems to have gone off the boil.

wilfred:

--- Quote from: FrankT on July 10, 2019, 06:30:31 am ---Would vision only systems be confused by sidewalk-style art?

(Attachment Link)

--- End quote ---

That's a good picture. It illustrates what you and I and a child can see immediately as a picture by the shadow of the cyclist inside the hole.

Just today the city was cleaning the fallen Autumn leaves from my street. It is a windy day and the leaves are all over the road and filling the gutters. How does that camouflage the road? I don't necessarily think leaves or a picture are serious issues. They certainly shouldn't be or snow and ice will never be overcome. But how does an auto deal with a pothole or any item of debris like a branch that a human driver would avoid. Do autos slow down out of caution?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version