Author Topic: Standard Brushed DC Motor Sizes  (Read 4737 times)

Offline dapeakeTopic starter

Standard Brushed DC Motor Sizes
« on: October 22, 2021, 12:36:36 am »
Is there a reference or a standards organization that has settled on a set of physical guidelines for Brushed DC motors, like those found in small toys? I have seen numbers such as N20, Type 130, etc... but I have not seen a unified standard of specifications. (kinda like NEMA)

For this product I am developing, I bought a motor from Digikey which they called a "standard motor". It's great, low cost and way outperforms it's datasheet.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nmb-technologies-corporation/PPN7PA12C1/2417079?s=N4IgTCBcDaIA4EYAsBmArGgtAOwCYgF0BfIA.

I felt it was safe to invest time into - I created drive circuitry and firmware, resin prints of the product enclosure, etc... -  but it has a 1.5mm shaft, and I have found it extremely difficult to find plastic gears that are for 1.5mm shaft. And, making plastic injection molds around a completely proprietary motor seems unwise. So I need to speak the right search language in finding a replacement, or confirming that this motor is indeed in compliant with a standard. Any help in finding a library of standards for toy sized DC motors would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan
San Jose, CA

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Standard Brushed DC Motor Sizes
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 01:18:19 am »
No real standard other than Mabuchi is sort of a defacto standard for their own and the hundreds of clones but this is still only a portion ( a fairly large one) of the options. https://www.mabuchi-motor.com/product/knowledge/classification/designations.html

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 02:15:04 am »
Great link. Mabuchi is quite massive. This is a step in the right direction. I bet I will be able to cross the motor I have to their catalog.

Thanks,

Dan

Offline salihkanber

• Regular Contributor
  • Hello all.. It's nice to be here..
    • Dynamic, Versatile, Innovative Start-Up
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 09:22:14 pm »
I don't think there is, afaik each manufacturer has its own sizes and standards such as https://www.portescap.com/en/products/brush-dc-motors/all-dc-motors

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 09:51:42 pm »
Thanks, that's a great catalog of highly efficient motors. I bet they are pricey!

Thanks,

Dan

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 05:29:13 pm »
For motors with a gearbox fitted the 37mm size and "micrometal" style seem pretty consistent across many manufacturers. Gear ratios and current consumption vary wildly, and motors in the sizes are specified for different typical voltages, as well as sometiems having a rather different shape to their terminals on the rear, but the overall size and shaft specifications stay consistent across many producers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf