Products > Security

Most secure operating system?

<< < (9/9)

borjam:

--- Quote from: PKTKS on March 26, 2020, 01:31:50 pm ---
--- Quote from: borjam on March 26, 2020, 11:52:14 am ---And I forgot. Microsoft was probably the first software company in history serving the microcomputer market.

--- End quote ---

I was using CP/M way before DOS.

--- End quote ---
DOS was not the first Microsoft product.

--- Quote ---And "Windows"  itself appeared when
they "suddenly" just took OS/2 interface...

--- End quote ---
OS/2 was a collaboration between IBM and Microsoft.

--- Quote ---Before CP/M (even before DOS itself) pretty much
i was confined into IBM stuff  VMS/OS

--- End quote ---
You mean VM, VMS was Digital Equipment Corporation's operating system. By the way the
architect of Windows NT was the VMS architect.

borjam:

--- Quote from: free_electron on March 26, 2020, 02:08:25 pm ---my vote is iRMx running from ROM (not flash , real hard unwriteable ROM).
Very hard to bring down. Even catastrophical memory failure doesn't bring that down.

--- End quote ---
The challenge is keeping security with a rich, complex environment offering a myriad of functions.

PKTKS:

--- Quote from: borjam on March 26, 2020, 02:17:54 pm ---DOS was not the first Microsoft product.

--- End quote ---

If I recall right it was a BASIC interpreter/compiler

They bought DOS to embed that.
Pretty much their default "modus operandi"

--- Quote from: borjam on March 26, 2020, 02:17:54 pm ---OS/2 was a collaboration between IBM and Microsoft.

--- End quote ---

until they managed to rip off whatever they needed
to jump off and just dump IBM - then the "File Manager"
they had (or SHELL) became Windows 1.x/2.x (aka 286)

--- Quote from: borjam on March 26, 2020, 02:17:54 pm ---
You mean VM, VMS was Digital Equipment Corporation's operating system. By the way the
architect of Windows NT was the VMS architect.

--- End quote ---

Probably right my recollections from this early 80s are not
that accurate - too much stuff since then

There was also some other Burroughs and BIG main frames
to play over there this era... all pretty much vanished...

Paul

fragile:
I guess the question itself is the red herring to draw attention from the real issue. On the one hand, we can't allow everyone to do as they please. On the other, we can't put everyone in prison as a safety measure. Security is a people thing. The system with best policies and enforcement will be the most secure.

Closed-source is very popular, so attacks are developed for it, so as to get the most bang for the effort expended. Every consumer-owned and operated Windows Desktop or laptop is a sewer pipe for malware. But it doesn't serious alter performance,  invade privacy, or destroy data. It is being spewed out like an infected cell spews  copies of a virus, but the viruses in this case don't do anything but multiply on a typical Windows installation. The targets are servers running certain services on certain ports.

If you connect a packet filter to a Windows machine, you can watch the packets headed all over creation! Thousands an hour sometimes! The antimalware publishers just ignore that stuff. They focus on ransomware: which just bounces off linux, keylogging and remote control trojans, cryptomining trojans, and stuff that really bothers users.

Open-source is very unpopular, so it really doesn't attract malware authors. That, and when Linux is exploited, rebooting remedies it completely. Mac is a fork of BSD UNIX. It has a handful of closed-source tools that make it impossible to use the same way as UNIX. But a lot of standard tools are there. The fork is Darwin, which Apple crafts into Mac like Google crafts Android from Debian Linux.

So, which bullet-proof vest is the most secure? Ok, what if your inside a tank? In mission critical systems, like financial transaction clearing, if any unauthorized hardware is installed, removed or replaced, anywhere within a critical global network, the person in charge of that area will be notified within 30 seconds to disconnect the segment until it can be resolved.

Security is like that.     

electrolust:
in the vein of the question, ie context-free except for the mention of "OpenBSD", MacOS 10.15 -- by far.

going a bit deeper, SEL4 followed by QubesOS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version