Products > Security

Most secure operating system?

(1/9) > >>

coppercone2:
I think this thread might fill itself. I am out dated at the moment with thoughts of OpenBSD

David Hess:
OpenBSD is at the top of the list.  Next might be FreeBSD and then Linux.  There are specialized distributions of all of them for maximum security.

Forget anything which is closed source.

techman-001:

--- Quote from: David Hess on May 31, 2019, 02:51:50 pm ---OpenBSD is at the top of the list.  Next might be FreeBSD and then Linux.  There are specialized distributions of all of them for maximum security.

Forget anything which is closed source.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I'm a FreeBSD user myself however I admire OpenBSD a lot, it's clean, functional, expertly designed with a focus on security and very easy to use. Sadly I'd miss ZFS and some other FreeBSD features too much if I switched.

wilfred:

--- Quote from: David Hess on May 31, 2019, 02:51:50 pm ---Forget anything which is closed source.

--- End quote ---

Why?

Z/OS on a Z-series server hardware has much to offer in the way of security. It's not open source by any means. Being closed or open isn't a reliable guide to security.

Halcyon:
It's a bit like asking "What's the best car?". The answer is, it depends.

Windows is quite often said to be "insecure" or "less secure than Unix/Linux/BSD" but nothing could be further from the truth. It all depends on how it's configured and deployed. The same applies to every operating system. Using Windows as an example, it's still used in Government organisations up to and including "Top Secret" classification.

Just about every operating system can be made to be insecure or vulnerable. It will also depend on the application; the more services you install and run, the more chances of an increased security risk. Then there is security of the hardware itself, for example: Who has access to the physical ports on the device?

There is no magic pill when it comes to cyber security. It's a multi-layered approach. I've spent many years studying and working in this industry and even my knowledge only scratches the surface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version