Author Topic: MSI screwed up Secure Boot default setting for >290 mainboards  (Read 1058 times)

Offline madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)

Online magic

• Super Contributor
Re: MSI screwed up Secure Boot default setting for >290 mainboards
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 08:28:38 pm »
Meh, just changed the default settings.
Reminder to always review all relevant BIOS settings before assuming that something will work :P

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 06:36:54 pm »
Sounds good news to me. If one is relying on "secureboot" to keep one "secure", then one's OS has already been hacked in practice and a hacker can access any files and modify any system settings as if they were the system's highest level of administrator. Secureboot is a line of "defence" which is behind all the things you want to protect, the only thing it is about securing is M$'s monopoly against competitor operating systems. I'd be much happier with a PC that doesn't secure boot by default (because this so-called screw-up was just a default setting not even a total inability to do it) or doesn't have secureboot at all, than with one which has a locked secureboot (which M$ seems to be working towards with the Pluton SoC concept) forcing users in to the Windows stockade.

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 07:25:18 am »
"Over 290 MSI motherboards are reportedly affected by an insecure default UEFI Secure Boot setting settings that allows any operating system image to run regardless of whether it has a wrong or missing signature."

So they accidentally supplied a working firmware, bypassing Microsoft's bullcrap, which never had anything to do with security despite the name? What a pity.

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 08:29:01 am »
"Over 290 MSI motherboards are reportedly affected by an insecure default UEFI Secure Boot setting settings that allows any operating system image to run regardless of whether it has a wrong or missing signature."

So they accidentally supplied a working firmware, bypassing Microsoft's bullcrap, which never had anything to do with security despite the name? What a pity.
They "accidentally" made it work with "any" operating system.
If I were MSI I would be accident-prone too :)
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 08:40:46 am »
MSI did the good thing.  Mandatory secure boot is a plague.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 10:01:38 pm »
MSI did the good thing.  Mandatory secure boot is a plague.

Indeed. ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf