Author Topic: So, is this a new Facebook SCAM?  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Stray ElectronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
So, is this a new Facebook SCAM?
« on: May 20, 2021, 12:41:13 am »
  My wife got a strange message a few days ago. It said that it came from "Sam" via Facebook and said "Hi Mary,  I heard from "Charles" that your son "David" needs help applying for disability. I can help you."   That's it, nothing else.

First of all, "Sam" was the full name of someone that my wife worked with about 20 years ago but barely knew and in the message, the sender never reminds my wife of where they knew each other from or anything else. He just jumps straight into his pitch. Second, their industry had absolutely nothing to do with the medical field or with applying for disability. And "Sam" had no knowledge of those fields as far as my wife knows.  Next, they did have the right names and relationships for "Charles" and "David". But I have NEVER communicated with "Sam" and I didn't know the name until my wife told me, so "Sam's" pitch about hearing it from me was obviously a lie. Also to add that I NEVER, EVER post on Facebook! Finally, I'll add that my son is not trying to apply for disability so the whole story appears to be some kind of hoax.

My wife said that the message came from Facebook but when I asked if it came through Facebook's message system or through her regular E-mail and said "Facebook" I never got a straight answer.

Has anyone heard of this before? My thinking is that they got my wife's name from Facebook and then looked up her details including the name of her husband and son, probably from one the many People Finder websites and then send her this personally tailored Phishing E-mail and hoping to lure her into disclosing some personal information. The only thing that I don't understand is how they knew the name of the person that my wife once worked with.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: So, is this a new Facebook SCAM?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 04:05:28 am »
I think it's possible the sender never intended for your wife to associate anything significant with the name "Sam". They have to use a name for themselves, so they just picked a common, run-of-the-mill name.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 07:20:40 pm »
  No, this came from someone that gave their first and last names and it just seems very unlikely that it would be the same full name as someone that she once worked with. I also just used "Sam" as an example, I don't recall the actual name but it was something much less common than "Sam".

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 10:48:52 am »
the sam's account is hacked and the scammer is now pissing your wife, what else? this is known centuries old method. rule #1: dont attend to unwelcomed message no matter how too good to be true they are. rule #2: if you follow rule #1, you'll be safe.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 02:10:30 pm »
   Don't worry, we're not about to reply to him. I'm just trying to figure out how the sender got enough information to personalize the message so that it doesn't sound like one of the Nigerian oil or you've won the Irish sweepstakes SCAMs.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 02:29:04 pm »
I'm just trying to figure out how the sender got enough information..
it will be quite easy if you make it as a profession and polish your balls. but since you are married, there are some tasks thats are almost impossible to do without being sniffed by SWMBO. ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 06:24:33 pm »
   Don't worry, we're not about to reply to him. I'm just trying to figure out how the sender got enough information to personalize the message so that it doesn't sound like one of the Nigerian oil or you've won the Irish sweepstakes SCAMs.

Usually it is when some of your friends or family get a virus infestation that leaks their address books etc...   the bad guys then get the names and addresses etc. of a lot of people, including the ones that are careful with their data.

To remain invisible on the Internet is impossible as long as you want even one other person to be able to talk to you!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf