Author Topic: Any plans for 4K recording?  (Read 11709 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Any plans for 4K recording?
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 12:14:32 am »
The video also points out some of the benefits of recording in 4k, with a good camera. Bigger sensors, better sensitivity, built in filters and motion stabilization, improved hardware encoding retaining more quality even if you use camera in 1080p record mode  etc etc.

Choosing to shoot in 1080p is hardly part of the argument.
The problem is all the downsides that have been mentioned. 4K simply offers no real practical value to a video blogger, it only has downsides.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 12:17:11 am »
4) For those that use TV/HTPC, there are no commodity HW decoders that can handle 4K decoding right now except for the latest haswell/nvidia/ati GPUs, a raspberry pi or HW set top box won't cut it(so you can have a VERY modern ivy bridge pc/htpc/notebook and you won't be able to HW decode and if your cpu is one of the low end ones you won't be able to SW decode it without dropping frames).
4K has been supported since the Kepler GPUs - 6xx series and above. For just over $100, you can upgrade your PC to support 4K for video playback and common desktop use. 3D gaming is another matter...

My one year old Tegra 4 based Nvidia Shield running Android can output 4K out of the HDMI output but I don't have a TV to verify this :)

http://shield.nvidia.com/specs-and-features/

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 03:16:49 am »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2686115/nvidia-unveils-its-all-new-geforce-gtx-980-and-gtx-970-graphics-processors.html#tk.fb_pc
Dynamic Super Resolution, according to Nvidia, enables the new GPUs to deliver 4K-quality graphics on a 1080p display. The processor effectively renders 4K resolution in the GPU’s frame buffer, and then applies a Gaussian filter to downsample the image to 1080p when it's output to the monitor. This promises to increase visual fidelity without taking a hit in frame rate. The feature is enabled by default in Nvidia’s GeForce Experience utility, and the end user may increase the resolution as high as 5K if desired. Scott Herkelman, general manager of Nvidia’s GeForce business unit, demoed the effect for me at a briefing on Tuesday, and it is impressive.
Sounds like pure marketing to me, but maybe the upcoming GPUs can get decent performance rendering 4K after all. Unless the "internal 4K" is really an oversimplified explanation of the feature and actually works in a totally different manner...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf