Author Topic: Insulation Resistance Testers  (Read 11149 times)

Offline EngineerTopic starter

Insulation Resistance Testers
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:14:34 am »
Have recently spent mega bucks at work on 2 Chauvin Arnoux C.A 6549's,  Insulation Testers, and,  as far as I'm concerned, along with megger these are the dogs yollocks (superb professional Engineering term for "excellent piece of kit")

Now, been trawlin the fleabay and see Insulation Testers of type VC60B et al circa £25-£35 , anyone tried these, stripped them down or had a shocking experience (sorry had to get that one in).

So, any bad good experiences of these testers ?

If not, then may I suggest these VC60B's could be a candidate for a review and strip down !!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:24:40 am by Engineer »

Offline Chasm

• Regular Contributor
Re: Insulation Resistance Testers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »
The main problem I see is that you are -in most cases- required to use certified tools for safety relevant or mandated testing. The ebay cheapies won't help on that front.

Other than that insulation testing is that difficult. It has been around for a long time.

Offline EngineerTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:02:51 pm »
Ok, at work we are required to have fully calibrated items of kit, to fully traceable standards etc...

Fully aware the ebay cheapies won't help, however, what I am trying to get at is that if I personally (or someone) is looking for a "ins tester" I don't want to be spending £2.5k per pop.

So, if someone was to spend £30 on one of these, how good are they, how well are they made and are they up to the mark.
Most TE now is manufactured to spec in China and standards have improved, I suspect the majority of our CA6549 is made in China.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:00 pm »
I use an £80-00 model made in Korea, have had it for about 15 years now, works well enough to prove insulation on windings of alternators and motors before first use.

Offline Circuitous

• Supporter
    • Corgi-Tronics
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 05:45:24 pm »
I am also looking at getting an insulation tester.  Does anyone have any experience with these units?  Is there anything to specifically avoid buying?

VC60B+
http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Digital-Insulation-Resistance-0-1~2000M/dp/B008F29N44/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1350409475&sr=1-1&keywords=VC60B%2B

Sinometer 803
http://www.sinometer.com/uploadImage/2012-09-27/2012092714384439413570.JPG

UT511
http://www.uni-trend.com/UT511.html

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 08:04:55 pm »
I know I'm dragging up an old thread, but I too came across this VC60B+ and this is the thread that popped up when I searched for info about it.

So if anyone has any feedback yet, I'd be interested in reading about it.

One thing I did notice was the front panel is labelled "Cat II 600V". Seems odd in a meter that supposedly generates and can measure 1000VDC or measure 750VAC. I realize there's a 10x safety factor in the rating system, but shouldn't anything intended to measure 1000v be rated for 1000v?

(I'm mostly interested in testing armatures for starter motors and alternators, so the 250v option would be plenty.)

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:48:39 pm »
According to website it is capable to measure 500nA leakage on 1000V (2GOhm), so for basic measuremet of electrical equipment can be OK.
Just needs to check if it is really capable to deliver 1.4mA at testing voltage.

It is obvious that this instruments are not for serious measuremet and safety declaration.

I was searching some future insulation testers few years ago and purchased Fluke 1555, it was not good choice at all. It cost few tousands $.
See my review at Fluke website http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/electrical-testers/insulation-testers/fluke-1555-1550c.htm?PID=69212
This meter cannot be compared to any other Fluke equipment and seems to be some rebrand or fully outsorced.

If I need some insulation tester I will go for:
Home use: UNI-T are quite cheap ( Dave review one of them)
For seriuos  safety measurement http://www.metrel.si/products/high-voltage-insulation-continuity-earth/hv-insulation-testers/mi-3200-teraohm-10-kv.html

If you do not need to measure quite often the insulation resistance can be easily measured with picoammeter and HV supply. Do not forget to add protection circuit on the input of  picoammeter ( resistor with two antiparallel diodes with low leakage). 

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:59:19 am »
I know I'm dragging up an old thread, but I too came across this VC60B+ and this is the thread that popped up when I searched for info about it.

So if anyone has any feedback yet, I'd be interested in reading about it.

One thing I did notice was the front panel is labelled "Cat II 600V". Seems odd in a meter that supposedly generates and can measure 1000VDC or measure 750VAC. I realize there's a 10x safety factor in the rating system, but shouldn't anything intended to measure 1000v be rated for 1000v?

(I'm mostly interested in testing armatures for starter motors and alternators, so the 250v option would be plenty.)

The CAT rating requires clearances from all combinations of terminals. It is probable that the clearances can't be obtained for some combination.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 09:53:44 pm »
I use an £80-00 model made in Korea, have had it for about 15 years now, works well enough to prove insulation on windings of alternators and motors before first use.

Is your meter (by chance) a Summit MFT5010 (or MFT4010)? I just happened to buy such an installation tester (without test leads) second hand (NOK 750 = US$ 125) and wonder how good it is. The manual is printed in 1998.

Pictures: http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=43889280

Now I just have to make some DIY earth electrodes (rods/spikes/spears) to measure earth resistance in my new (1963) house's IT installation...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:28:51 pm by nixxon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf