Author Topic: dark theme  (Read 10881 times)

Offline timelessbeingTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: dark theme
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 05:33:31 pm »
Dave never did reply. I guess he doesn't care.  :-//

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 10:28:31 pm »

You were already given numerous appropriate solutions and decided they were not appropriate, even though they work well for others.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 02:41:35 am »
A while back, QRZ.com introduced a dark theme".
Curious, I tried it, & was underwhelmed!---- To me, it was harder on the eyes than the normal one.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 03:07:26 am »
@ thm_w

Is it that much to ask? It seems like almost every other forum, website or app out there has the option now.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 08:50:15 pm »
Is it that much to ask? It seems like almost every other forum, website or app out there has the option now.

Its not too much to ask. But solutions are already available, its not something that can only be done on the forum side or is difficult to do on the end user side.

Large sites have dedicated 3rd party plugins to implement hundreds of possible features people want (eg youtube), will those sites ever implement all of the features? No.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 09:22:56 pm »
I did not mean to start a feud.

Just put up my latest changes to my forum theme. 
Which I seem to be forever tweaking...   :palm:

It would be nice to get a thumbs up or down from Dave on how he likes what I did to his forum.
Not that I expect him to implement a dark theme.  I would probably just want to tweak it too.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 01:32:59 am »
I tried the suggestions and found them lacking.

It's just a simple theme plugin, and I took the time to hand pick a few of them and sent the links to Dave. All he would have to do is install them as options. I've seen many forums with far fewer members than this one give a few theme options.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 08:22:18 pm »
I tried the suggestions and found them lacking.

Lacking how, specifically? You can modify MarkF's theme to change the colors, if they are not up to your standards.
Attached is what it look like for me, mostly black.

The following users thanked this post: MarkF

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 02:33:03 pm »
Attached is what it look like for me, mostly black.
I like the shiny colors you have. Would you mind attaching the .css code here?

MarkF, thanks again for the effort in designing this.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:16 pm »

Its a FF extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/
But attached the options I used.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 08:35:31 pm »
@ thm_w

You're asking for changes to be made to the forum on your behalf although it seems you can solve the issue your perceive yourself. It seems a bit entitled to expect the world to change on your behalf.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2019, 12:50:15 am »

Its a FF extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/
But attached the options I used.
Thanks a bunch! I'll try this tomorrow.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 01:49:11 am »
You're asking for changes to be made to the forum on your behalf although it seems you can solve the issue your perceive yourself. It seems a bit entitled to expect the world to change on your behalf.
To me it's not a solution.

Who said I expect anything? I certainly don't need permission from you to ask.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 03:10:59 am »
You are given a means to easily achieve what you wanted  and this is not a solution??  Talk about a hard task master!

I sense some arrogance and indignation.

Sorry, but you are clearly unaware of what you have been communicating ... and not that many posts earlier.:

So, Dave didn't reply in person - and that's not good enough despite you having been given a working solution.  Sheesh ... entitled much?

Is it that much to ask?
To ask?  No.  But to have the expectations that you do is selfish, immatue and wreaks of "entitlement"  (You may have to look that up.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:13:15 am by Brumby »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 03:49:48 am »
Well, it is a workaround to your request. Life will throw some of these at you: not a definitive solution but a compromise to reach your goal.

Who said I expect anything?
You did when you said:
You really sound frustrated that you did not get the attention you think you deserve. Frustration = unmet expectation

I certainly don't need permission from you to ask.
You certainly don't. But you asked already. More than once. The repetition hints that you are trying to rile up the mob to force a change in your terms.

Is it that much to ask?
It may be. Neither you nor I can necessarily tell if there are other implications to this request - it could be an incompatibility, lack of dependencies to the existing infrastructure or even if it is a simple matter of taste. Who is to say that your proposed solutions are any better than the already available workarounds shown on this thread?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 04:31:19 am »
I sense some arrogance and indignation.
I am arrogant because I requested theme? Ok there.

So, Dave didn't reply in person - and that's not good enough
What are blathering about? I simply stated that he doesn't care. You are the ones making this dramatic.

I don't know what drugs you people are on that you're so outraged that I asked for a theme. On forums that I run, I am thrilled when users request something I can give it to them. Especially when it doesn't affect anybody else.

But you asked already. More than once.
I only asked once. After that I'm just responding to the stupid accusations.

The repetition hints that you are trying to rile up the mob to force a change in your terms.
You have a very active imagination. The only ones riled up here are you. I have neither the will or the power to force anything.

But by all means carry on your witch hunt. It's hilarious.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:38:25 am by timelessbeing »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 07:35:29 am »

Instead of insisting it not being a solution it may help to tell us why you don't feel it's a solution. "Because I want Dave to fix my issue" isn't a reason and I suspect all other reasons can be mitigated or are fixed with a modicum of your own effort. Nobody said you need permission to ask. People are simply observing that this thread reeks of entitlement, which is only bolstered by the attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 12:23:37 pm »
Have you ever noticed with some people that when 10 others disagree with them, it's the 10 that are wrong ... not them?

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 03:32:13 pm »
Just to be clear for people like me who didn't read the previous page of this topic.

There is an EEVblog dark theme at https://userstyles.org/styles/156638/eevblog-forum-dark-theme and maintained by MarkF.  Free and open source.

Install Stylus add-on (available for Firefox, Chrome, Opera) then apply the MarkF's dark theme.

Use "Stylus", free and open source, not "Stylish" (Stylish is a closed source add-on and known as a spyware).

Later Edit:
I've just tested the MarkF's dark theme from https://userstyles.org/styles/156638/eevblog-forum-dark-theme

On my Ubuntu/Firefox it changes the fonts type.  I'll keep this one https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-dark-theme/ , because it preserves the fonts.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:42:29 pm by RoGeorge »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 07:13:34 pm »
All I would like is a forum theme, as my original post states. That's it. I'm not soliciting help or commentary from you. But you're welcome to perceive that whatever way you like. As usual everybody who loves the sound of their own voice comes out of the woodwork.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 07:25:31 pm »
Have you ever noticed with some people that when 10 others disagree with them, it's the 10 that are wrong ... not them?

How fascinating. I request something which is absolutely no business of yours. You come along and invent a contest out of it. You place me on one side and yourself and your buddies on the other. Then you declare a "right" and a "wrong" (you of course on the right), and whoever has the most voices I suppose is "right" (brilliant logic). I suppose some would consider it bullying, except it greatly amuses me to watch it unfold. And you expose yourself as an utterly ridiculous human being. Bravo.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2019, 02:40:29 am »
You still don't get it ... and probably never will.  Sigh.

Just for the record: It's not what you requested (which is what you continue to harp on) - it's how you've conducted yourself (which you continue to ignore).

... and if you really want to take exception, try this:  I fully expected a response like you have just given.    Also, I have no doubt there will be many other members who are not surprised either and have kept to themselves because (a) comments have been already presented and (b) they know how futile any further comments would be.

Edit:  I'm sure you don't realise this - but you are telling everyone exactly what you are like.  It's your words - not mine - that are digging a hole directly beneath you.  Maybe, one day, you will see this.

I'll leave you to have the final word...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:48:49 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2019, 08:13:22 am »
it's how you've conducted yourself

The reality is that I've said precious little before you showed up. There was no drama. You rode in here high and mighty, zero interest in the actual topic, postured, and preached.  :blah:  Thank you so much for all the love and attention.  :-*

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2019, 12:32:57 pm »
The reality is that I've said precious little before you showed up. There was no drama. You rode in here high and mighty, zero interest in the actual topic, postured, and preached.  :blah:  Thank you so much for all the love and attention.  :-*
Rather than quabling about it which already has gotten ugly, it may be sensible to step back and digest what multiple people have said. You may not end up agreeing with it and that will inevitably be the first impulse, but people aren't making remarks just to spite you. They may have a point, or you may not quite be projecting what you feel you are.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2019, 07:16:45 pm »
Yes I see how you're stepping back.  :clap:

you may not quite be projecting what you feel you are.
Possibly. Or, more likely, you are just seeing something that's not really there. Here I thought we were all aware that intent of online comments is often misjudged. Not that it matters. I have to give you drama queens credit for having the balls to suggest that I should now step back from a topic that you had no business in the first place getting involved in, and have now turned into a circus sideshow.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:08:38 pm by timelessbeing »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf