Author Topic: EEV Blog video Intro  (Read 6600 times)

Offline Architect_1077Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
EEV Blog video Intro
« on: June 05, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »
Dave,

I was wondering, as I'm sure others must be... I think your videos had a very special touch when you added that intro. Don't know how much work it brings you to add that intro to your videos but, personally, to me that was(is?) your signature. Did you get tired of it?

I think you should bring it back to your videos, if possible  ;)

Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: EEV Blog video Intro
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »
The youtube "copyright" people were out at it again

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:14:28 pm »
Huh? Which part would Dave be infringing on copyright?

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:53:42 pm »
Huh? Which part would Dave be infringing on copyright?
From memory he had to fill in a "this is where my intro music came from" form for every video (or maybe it was just frequently enough to be annoying).  The music was royalty-free but YouTube still wanted the declaration that it was all above board on file.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 06:17:19 pm »
Ridiculous copyright fascism crap...
TBH it's not really Youtube's fault. It's the ignoramus politicians that bend over to certain organizations...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:36:16 am »
Which intro are you referring too? I assume it's the hand drawn cartoon one that was different for each episode?
If so the main reason I dropped it is because it was done using my old video edit software Corel VideoStudio. My new Sony Vegas software does not have this same feature, nor does NCH VideoPad which i have a used a few times.
If I want to do this in Sony Vegas I have to edit my video in Vegas, capture the first screen grab from the video then import into VideoStudio and render the intro, and then re-import that back into a Sony Vegas. It's just another step in the video processing I'd rather not have to do.
And not everyone liked it BTW, many people think it's a wasted 10 seconds and prefer when I jump straight into it.

Dave.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:24:09 am »
Time to move to Premiere / Aftereffects  ;D
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:42:45 am »
Time to move to Premiere / Aftereffects  ;D

And it won't have the cartoon effect either, I'm sure  ::)
BTW, I tried Adobe Premiere Elements, and it was not at all suited to what I need to do. Along with a half a dozen other programs I've tried. Sony Vegas is best compromise choice I can find.

Dave.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:54:44 am »
Which intro are you referring too? I assume it's the hand drawn cartoon one that was different for each episode?

That one was cool or even the one before that. I especially liked the music you chose. Personally I tend to like good intros, although it must be said that you simply can't satisfy everyone. Point be made, the video content is indeed more important than an intro  :)

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:51:13 am »
The advantage of a brief intro, to me at least, is that it gives me a moment to untangle my headphones and adjust the volume.

I don't much care what special effects go into it. A simple title card and a few seconds jingle would do just fine.
Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:27:34 pm »
No, not elements. Thats a toy....
But i agree, Sony vegas is pretty good. ( somy did not design it. Vegas was an independent company bought by sony). Other good ones are AVID.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 01:15:09 am »
No, not elements. Thats a toy....
But i agree, Sony vegas is pretty good. ( somy did not design it. Vegas was an independent company bought by sony). Other good ones are AVID.

Seriously, I've tried them all, and they ALL have issues with my workflow and how I do things. Bugs, slowness, file incompatibility, missing or hard to use features etc.
Vegas has turned out to be the lesser of all the evils.
NCH videopad is a free "toy" too, and it does almost exactly what I want, to bad it produces glitches on the output file.
ULEAD/Corel Videostudio is a "toy" too, and it served me well for 100+ episodes.
My needs are incredibly simple, yet even the packages with the best reputations can't even handle my basic workflow.

Dave.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 03:48:57 am »
hmm. you film with a tape based camera or a flash based camera ?
Premiere will open the camera, load the files and off you go. drag and drop on the time line. you do need to know the shortcuts.

If you really want it easy get a shuttlepro : http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/23
That thing is set up for premiere.
You have two monitors in premiere : 1 preview , one output. simply spin the dial to find the begin point , the buttons on the shuttlepro are : 10frames back , 1 frame back ,mark , 1 frame forward, 10 frames forward.
Second row is 'append to timeline and insert to timeline.
You simply scrub with the dial , precision align with the center dial aor the step buttons . When you got the right point hit the mark button , scrub to the next position , hit mark again and hit the 'insert' or 'append' button.  It doesnt get any easier than that... you move from clip to clip and simply mark the pieces you want to keep and paste them on the timeline as you go. Editing is extremely fast... no need for keyboard or mouse. everything essential is right there on the shuttlepro.

If you want one , i'll ship you my old one ( has 2 less buttons than the V2 ). It works with vegas as well. So you don't even need to switch software.
That thing is made for video editing. Plug and play. you can reprogram the buttons through the control panel of the driver. it supports lots of video and motion graphics software. things like after effects, maya , rhino , 3d studio are all supported.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:33:26 am »
Thanks for the offer, if you aren't using it, then I'll gladly take it.
I tried Elements, and it should be more than good enough for what I want, by an order, but it wasn't. I found a showstopper 10min into using it. I can't remember what it was, maybe it's on twitter.
If I had a dollar for every program someone swears by is absolutely perfect, and it failed on simple stuff I needed, I'd be rich!
I use Canon HF G10 and manual file copy from SD card, any imports or conversions are way too slow.
It's hard to explain my workflow, so I want try. But it can take one minor annoyance or issue to make the software unusable.
Any package I use must do exactly what I want and fit into my workflow. I have spent several years refining my workflow and I'm not about change it in a hurry.
I've tried probably a dozen different packages and they all have their pros and cons. The only ones I have ended up using are Vegas Movie Studio, Ulead/Corel VideoStudio, and NCH.

Dave.

Offline firehacker

• Contributor
    • VBStreets Forum
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 05:50:16 am »
Hand-drawn cartoon is not a key point, rotating PCB in Altium was also a good one scene. But at least me mostly liked those music and phrase "Hi, welcome to EEVBlog — an electronics engineering videoblog for anyone involved in electronics design. I am your host, Dave Jones" pronounced by you.

For a new video for intro I also can offer that moment from your "Best Rigol firmware ever" video when you switching on your scope and it displays your photo with "EEVBlog" caption just below.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:50:55 am by firehacker »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf