Author Topic: Electricity faster than light  (Read 10264 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Electricity faster than light
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 11:11:14 pm »
Well speed of the light is accepted theory as fastest unit ever and nothing can surpass it.

As said I failed Modern University physics with advanced relation theory because I didn't pay attention but it is not yet law.

No, and maybe that's the reason your first statement is wrong.

Here is a pretty picture of what happens when things do travel faster than light:
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--q8KBrnCw--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/tjbxqdg3awnwvup1ovva.jpg

FFI, google Cerenkov radiation.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 05:55:25 am »
Well speed of the light is accepted theory as fastest unit ever and nothing can surpass it.

As said I failed Modern University physics with advanced relation theory because I didn't pay attention but it is not yet law.

Here is a pretty picture of what happens when things do travel faster than light:
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--q8KBrnCw--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/tjbxqdg3awnwvup1ovva.jpg

When you say "things" I assume you include non-physical things, like phase. So far nothing physical (matter or energy) is known to travel faster than light.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 11:42:42 am »

When you say "things" I assume you include non-physical things, like phase. So far nothing physical (matter or energy) is known to travel faster than light.

False.

Cherenkov radiation is caused by subatomic particles slowing down to the speed of light. Please do at least a little research by googling for the obvious keyword.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline kony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 12:12:51 pm »
False.

Cherenkov radiation is caused by subatomic particles slowing down * to the speed of light. Please do at least a little research by googling for the obvious keyword.

Yes, it is slowing down to a speed of light, but not in absolute terms - it speeds down to a velocity of light given by the dielectric properties of the material it propagates in. Compared to speed of light in vacuum in absolute terms trough, the particle velocity is still less, despite it might be farily close.

To illustrate more the struggle of accelerating particles to a speeds close to that of photons in vacuum - I'm sure you heard about CERN, did you?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »

False.

Cherenkov radiation is caused by subatomic particles slowing down to the speed of light. Please do at least a little research by googling for the obvious keyword.
Maybe you need to Google for what phase velocity means and exactly which velocity of light the Cherenkov radiation goes faster than before replying.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 12:57:11 pm »

False.

Maybe you need to Google for what phase velocity means and exactly which velocity of light the Cherenkov radiation goes faster than before replying.

If you look at what you wrote, you will see you didn't mention "phase velocity", only "phase".

Speed of light in water ~0.75c. Particles are travelling between 0.75c and c, i.e. faster than the speed of light in water.

Your statement would be correct if you had stated "So far nothing physical (matter or energy) is known to travel faster than light IN VACUUM". But that wasn't your statement!

But even that isn't strictly true as has been observed by astronomers - they have seen the reflections of a light beam travelling across the sky faster than the speed of light. Of course, you can't convey any information that fast, but the the spot is travelling faster than light! So yes, that is a "cheat" albeit a real one :)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 01:02:04 pm »

False.

If you look at what you wrote, you will see you didn't mention "phase velocity", only "phase".

Speed of light in water ~0.75c. Particles are travelling between 0.75c and c, i.e. faster than the speed of light in water.

Your statement would be correct if you had stated "So far nothing physical (matter or energy) is known to travel faster than light IN VACUUM". But that wasn't your statement!

But even that isn't strictly true as has been observed by astronomers - they have seen the reflections of a light beam travelling across the sky faster than the speed of light. Of course, you can't convey any information that fast, but the the spot is travelling faster than light! So yes, that is a "cheat" albeit a real one :)
Since you started this by saying "Well speed of the light is accepted theory as fastest unit ever and nothing can surpass it. "  is incorrect, you seem to be sliding your position.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 01:03:12 pm »
False.

Cherenkov radiation is caused by subatomic particles slowing down * to the speed of light. Please do at least a little research by googling for the obvious keyword.

Yes, it is slowing down to a speed of light, but not in absolute terms - it speeds down to a velocity of light given by the dielectric properties of the material it propagates in. Compared to speed of light in vacuum in absolute terms trough, the particle velocity is still less, despite it might be farily close.

To illustrate more the struggle of accelerating particles to a speeds close to that of photons in vacuum - I'm sure you heard about CERN, did you?

They are slowing down to the speed of light (in water, as you say!). That, of course, wasn't the original statement.

BTW, I have worked at CERN, albeit not on particle physics. It was amusing to sit on the "seat" of an obsolete-but-functional Cray-1, and when I wanted a cup of coffee I had to cross the border and go to a different country (France vs Switzerland) :)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 01:04:53 pm »
False.

They are slowing down to the speed of light (in water, as you say!). That, of course, wasn't the original statement.

BTW, I have worked at CERN, albeit not on particle physics. It was amusing to sit on the "seat" of an obsolete-but-functional Cray-1, and when I wanted a cup of coffee I had to cross the border and go to a different country (France vs Switzerland) :)
I have worked at Rutherford Appleton Labs, but on the control systems and not the physics. What's your point?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 01:06:36 pm »
False.

I have worked at Rutherford Appleton Labs, but on the control systems and not the physics. What's your point?

Que? The point is contained in the quoted conversation.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2015, 06:37:34 am »
My thoughts do not encompass anything more than the question: "How did this publication ever become a textbook?"

Words fail me.  I need a Dave "Aaarrgghhhhh!!!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf