Author Topic: EMP Shield Scam  (Read 57021 times)

Offline rgaritoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • STM32, ARM, x86, FPGA, Firmware, Linux/FreeBSD
EMP Shield Scam
« on: May 23, 2019, 05:14:18 pm »
This should be highly entertaining....

https://empshield.com/

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Re: EMP Shield Scam
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 06:19:05 pm »
Rubbish - it only works on 120 V...
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 05:04:58 am »
Yeah ... there is a certain credibility gap calling it an "EMP" shield.

That said, however, there could be some benefit....

EMP creates potentially high, damaging voltages by interacting with conductive materials.  In the case of a house, you would have the various electrical/electronic devices themselves and you would have the wiring that feeds power to them.

Devices that are encased in a full metal enclosure will have the essence of a Faraday shield (albeit potentially compromised by gaps and openings), but the wiring feeding them will be exposed.  In this case, the wiring could pick up an induced EMF.  This, however, would be akin to the same sort of risk you get from lightning - and in the case of nearby lightning strikes, the mechanism will be practically identical.  (A direct lightning strike will be pretty much mean the death of anything remotely connected.)  I believe this is why they include lightning protection in their claims.

As it is, I look at it as a bit of marketing flim-flam because, let's face it, the current means of creating a dangerous EMP is limited to atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device - and if that's happening somewhere close enough to cause a damaging EMP, then I think you'll have bigger worries.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 06:02:19 am »
So $300 for a box with a varistor?

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 06:25:13 am »
I find it interesting that they publish the tests results, showing that the EMP shield passed the RS105 test of the MIL-461G standard, (simulating radiated emissions from a nuclear detonation) and the high current pulses, that simulate conducted emissions on the cables due to a nuclear explosion. What is nice in those test reports is that they show how they performed the test, including some pictures (what is that mysterious Unit 4 on the bottom of page 9 by the way?)
As we could expect, they only tested the EMP shield itself, and not the shield connected to an equipment to protect and of course the only thing this test proves is that the EMP shield itself can survive an EMP. So money well spent I'd say  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:05:53 pm »
Seems people who spend tons of money on these things doesn't know anything about EMP and EMF on factual basis.  Some of the tactics sellers use are down-right fraud, and there are so many out there.

Tried many times to explain electro-magnetic spectrum.  I usually lose them on similarity between visible light, microwave (oven), and house hold mains.  I never get to ionozing and non-ionizing radiation, which is really a core of the subject.

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 06:02:20 pm »
Quick acting HEMP surge protection that switches in less than <1 nanosecond
:-//

The following users thanked this post: helius, rgarito

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 08:05:23 am »
just wanted to reainmate this thread, because someone from a prepper forum (where I happen to be a mod) brought this up as the new best solution in the EMP protection world.
As far as I know there is nothing that can prevent electronics from an EMP besides a proper faraday cage. So, I would be highly interested in your opinions regarding this products.

Thanks
OE2WHP

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 08:20:43 am »
My professional opinion is that this is crap  ;D

Not only you would need to make your whole house a faraday cage, but you would also need to filter any cable coming in and out of your cage. This includes of course the power, but also Tv/radio antennas, phone and internet. You would need good passive filters, this box will not do anything good.

But anyway, if you have a nuclear explosion near your house, you will probably have more things to worry about than fried electronics :D

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 12:43:29 am »
yea if you grow weed you might be able to cure the lung cancer that you get from the radioactive dust, it might be a better investment in a nuclear war then having a working anything

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 02:20:23 am »
As it is, I look at it as a bit of marketing flim-flam because, let's face it, the current means of creating a dangerous EMP is limited to atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device - and if that's happening somewhere close enough to cause a damaging EMP, then I think you'll have bigger worries.
Without intending to give anybody bad ideas: the world's militaries have been developing conventional EMP devices for decades. The same technologies used for high-intensity inertial fusion research (Z-machines) can be used to generate EMPs.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 04:27:36 am »
100% bee-ess. I’d like to know how they meet this claim:

“Although the grid may be down, your electrical equipment and home will still be functional if you have EMP Shield”

Yeah, right. Sure. So long as I have a 20kw backup genset and the fuel to run it.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 04:41:16 am »
This falls in a grey area.  Clearly hype and marketing claims, but at root a real product with some value.  While EMP can directly affect electronics, how much damage will be done is highly variable depending on the strength of the EMP, orientation of the device and various potential shielding effects such as metal roofs and metallized foil insulation barriers. I suspect that an awful lot, maybe a majority of electronics will survive this direct effect damage.

Probably the biggest risk for most people is the power surge that will occur on some power lines - again depending on the orientation of the lines relative to the EMP wave and a variety of other things.  This box at least has the potential to deal with this.  But probably little better than any other lightning surge protector.  And it would be nice to have your equipment working when and if the grid comes back to life.

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 02:07:56 pm »

I'm not sure the adequately detail how one is suppose to direct the estimated 50,000 plus volts from the E1 through the device so that all of your electronics are safe. Sounds like magic. If they detailed the speed which it acts vs some of the classic products out there it would be interesting. Might have a real benefit in a CME or Lighting strike where the voltage is running down the wires and not via the air like an EMP. Curious what others think.

Siemens FS140 Whole House Surge Protection = $ under 200 US.

This magically device = $369 US.

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 08:04:15 am »
Even if it worked by itself the way it is connected to the breaker box makes it completely useless. With those high frequency pulses the long cables act as high impedance and will not prevent an EMP from the grid to go directly to all the devices connected to the breaker box. The EMP shield may be the only thing that would survive the EMP :D

Offline opto_isolator

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 01:46:28 am »
Thought I'd share what I found:

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=10742025&IDKey=36E709D42475&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526co1%3DAND%2526d%3DPTXT%2526s1%3Dcarty%2526s2%3Demp%2526OS%3Dcarty%252BAND%252Bemp%2526RS%3Dcarty%252BAND%252Bemp

If you look at the diagrams (and descriptions) it appears that all this is, is a collection of surge devices between phases /  neutral / ground.  Most likely it's a collection of TVS diodes, probably something like this:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/15KPA120A/?qs=MLCmBfHNlR5528SJT7SrPg%3D%3D

So it's a fairly simple design that uses off the shelf parts.  From what I can tell, it's not supposed to shield your devices in the house from a direct EMP hit, meaning if you are in the danger zone, the field strength will just be everywhere and everything will be hit unless they are in a faraday shield.  I beleive the intent of this is to address only the power feed coming into your house - which would possibly work if the actual EMP would not have much influence of other devices due to proximity, as it would shunt (quickly) any large voltage surge generated by the E1 to ground.  It appears that this device is a combination device to address EMP as well as standard surges genereated by system imbalances and lightning strikes.  Considering they charge what they do for it, they're making a killing compared to parts / assembly cost.

Offline Keyslammer

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 05:35:57 pm »
So.....I thought I would challenge the vendor on their claims.  Here is the response I received.  Feel free to follow up and post YOUR results.  My favorite part is: "...the rise in voltage has no effect on the electronics".  Since he is welcoming any questions or concerns, I've included the contact information...

Great to hear from you,
Thank you for your interest in our product. An EMP is an RF event, and the fast rising pulse generates destructive voltages inside the electronics. This is a true statement. except for the rise in voltage has no effect on the electronics. Voltage in and of itself is not destructive. Look at a stun gun, the produces 100,000 volts but doesn't kill you because there are no amps behind the voltage. Voltage produces current, current produces amp, and amp produces heat. Heat is what "Fries" everything in the electrical system. This is a process and like any other process, it takes time for this to happen. Granted it happens in microseconds which is fast. This is where the emp shield comes into play. The EMP Shield monitors the voltage in the system as a whole. No matter where the volt in the system comes from the system as a whole will rise and fall at the exact same time. Because of this the EMP Shield only needs to be a part of that system. Because we are looking for the voltage spike, not the amp spike we can get the voltage out of the system faster than it is able to produce the destructive heat. our units are functioning in the 500 trillionths of a second. If the destructive heat is being produced in the microsecond then our unit is able to get rid of this overvoltage faster than its ability to produce that heat.
If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to give us a call and I would love to address them any way I can.
Respectfully,
Benjamin Fletcher
Senior Sales Manager
3908 S. 4th St
Burlington, Ks 66839
(620)412-9978
bfletcher@empshield.com
empshield.com

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 06:06:55 pm »
One thing to say about that, that ought to be obvious to "one skilled in the art" to borrow a phrase.

No matter where the volt in the system comes from the system as a whole will rise and fall at the exact same time. Because of this the EMP Shield only needs to be a part of that system.

No, no it does not. You can't treat a whole electrical system at sub microsecond magnetic pulse scale as a lumped component. Even if it is just wires they have distributed inductance and capacitance. Clamping at one point does not mean the whole system is clamped.

If any one is interested Schaffner sell pukka mains filters designed to protect adequately shielded equipment from conducted EMP effects.

Of course it's a toss up which is worse, the radiation that will get you a few days after an EMP event, or the stench of RIFA capacitors that will get you in few seconds after an EMP event if you have Schaffner filters fitted.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2023, 10:13:38 am »
teardown of the band name plastic electrical box. how hard can it be to look inside it!
show us the electronics or is it potted? why has nobody opened one?  :scared:  anonymously if you like.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 01:55:33 am »
Saw this linked on hackernews. Looks like EMP Shield managed to somehow scam US Chips act to the tune of ~2Billion dollars? :o

>$1.9 billion in a computer chip manufacturing facility in Burlington. The facility will create more than 1,200 jobs averaging $66,000 annually.
>EMP Shield will leverage state support to apply for CHIPS Act funding to see its plans to fruition.

https://www.kansascommerce.gov/2023/02/governor-kelly-announces-emp-shield-plans-to-build-1-9-billion-1200-job-computer-chip-manufacturing-facility-in-coffey-county/
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2023, 09:36:26 am »
Looks like EMP Shield managed to somehow scam US Chips act to the tune of ~2Billion dollars? :o

Not exactly, fortunately. They have announced a "plan" and, as you quoted,
EMP Shield will leverage state support to apply for CHIPS Act funding to see its plans to fruition

So when the piece was published in February, they had not even applied for the funding -- and they would need that funding to get anywhere. Here's hoping that they won't get the money... Even if their technology was solid, I fail to see how one can spend $1.9 Billion on a factory to make these little boxes?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf