Author Topic: function generator show down  (Read 3437 times)

Offline WakeUpWolfgangTopic starter

• Contributor
function generator show down
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:35:31 pm »
I think it would be really helpful and cool to see a show down between some cheap function generators and some expensive function generators like you do with the multimeters and oscilloscopes.

Here is a link to a post I did earlier today asking for some information about function generators and it seems like there is some other people who would like to know too. I bet there are some not on the blog that would too.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/looking-for-good-cheap-function-generator/

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
Re: function generator show down
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »
I second that!

Offline Redtailed

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 06:21:07 am »
I agree. Not only would a comparison be useful, but also some brief introduction to them, how they are used, etc. You know, for the "younger players."

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 07:08:32 am »

I agree. Not only would a comparison be useful, but also some brief introduction to them, how they are used, etc. You know, for the "younger players."
That would be a tricky video to make. 
Pardon the pun but a function generator is designed for a set of intended functions. The biggest factor in getting the right function generator is understanding your needs.
Over the years more functions have been grouped onto a single generator. Even with these advancements there still isn't any do it all generator yet. Besides a feature rich generator is expensive and would be a waist of money if your requirements are more moderate.
Another reason not to get the fancy high frequency generator is, higher the frequency less output protection is incorporated. All protection schemes effect slew rate. A generator capable of 10v/ns into 50ohms will have very little protection. And output protection is important if you consider yourself a "young player". 
For example 2 years ago I got lazy and used my generator to drive a 2N7000 directly, with no extra protection. Well that mistake cost me $1,300.00. After 40 years I guess I was due for a Doh!  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:02:39 pm »

Pardon the pun but a function generator is designed for a set of intended functions. The biggest factor in getting the right function generator is understanding your needs.
Over the years more functions have been grouped onto a single generator. Even with these advancements there still isn't any do it all generator yet. Besides a feature rich generator is expensive and would be a waist of money if your requirements are more moderate.
Another reason not to get the fancy high frequency generator is, higher the frequency less output protection is incorporated. All protection schemes effect slew rate. A generator capable of 10v/ns into 50ohms will have very little protection. And output protection is important if you consider yourself a "young player". 
For example 2 years ago I got lazy and used my generator to drive a 2N7000 directly, with no extra protection. Well that mistake cost me $1,300.00. After 40 years I guess I was due for a Doh!  :)

I am a young player I want to get a function generator but I have no clue what to look for and I think that there is others out there too.  I am rarely on the fourms and I bet there are some that are never on the forums that would like to know too.

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 03:03:50 pm »

I am a young player I want to get a function generator but I have no clue what to look for and I think that there is others out there too.  I am rarely on the fourms and I bet there are some that are never on the forums that would like to know too.
Wanting a function generator is ok, but you need to figure out why you want one. What things are you doing that will benefit from a generator. Are you looking fr something in the audio band, something for SMPS, something for HAM, something for low/mid/high RX/TX RF, something for timing and trigger, etc. Each of these areas will benefit from vastly different generators, and not one will fulfil the needs of all. If there is a showdown video and you don't go through this process what you gain from the video will be greatly reduced.
What you are saying thus far  is I want a hammer. There are many types of hammers for many types of work. A framing hammer will be of little use to a blacksmith. And a ball-peen hammer is not a good choice for a carpenter.
Yes this is not trivial or easy but it will help. One other option is make one fir yourself like some of the new techs at work have. 

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/looking-for-good-cheap-function-generator/

That is what I am looking for. I am just saying that there is other people out there that don't use the forums and would like to know what to look for in a function generator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf