Author Topic: How about touching on these subjects?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline subolg123Topic starter

• Contributor
How about touching on these subjects?
« on: February 11, 2014, 03:48:31 pm »
The quintessential PLL
PID controllers
Doppler Radar
laser diodes
Fiber Optics fundamentals
Switch capacitor filter basics

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: How about touching on these subjects?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:24:45 am »
apart from switched capacitor filters, none of those are a fundamental i think Dave looks likely to touch in his near future (you may have noticed his fundamental videos are generally about what he is currently working on) though there are other forum members that post videos on RF and similar, at-least one i know covers Pll, but i cant find the link just yet,

PID controllers is a big field, they teach you in basics the 3 terms, p for proportional, I for integral and D for derivative, but there are so many different algorithms used in modern controllers, with auto learning, and other fancy stuff (e.g integrated double derivative is one i have seen for a ratio loop) how to tune them, how to model the loops for optimum control, and this ties into another large feild of control theory,

Doppler Radar I'll skip as i struggle to imagine the analog layout challenges with that,

Laser diodes and fiber optics vary a whole lot depending on what power level and data rate your talking (Doppler radar and laser diodes make me think your looking into lidar)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:34:00 am »
Rerouter pretty much covered it.
Out of that list the only ones I think would be interesting and suitable enough are PLL and switched cap filters, I have considered both before.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:00:45 pm »
I would skip doppler radar as well, unless you want to teach a plumbing course. Then again most radar is an exercise in plumbing in the majority of the assembly. Most is high voltage potted modules as well, which are a pretty pain to repair. You also have to contend with the switches used being classed as low level radioactive waste, or not so low level when new. They do do a magic job of cooking stuff though in the test bay. Cold pie to piping hot in under 20 seconds, and flames if you leave the foil base in by accident.

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 09:06:58 am »
Dave

Have you considered a brief video on counterfeit components and how to identify them?

Dick

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »
Have you considered a brief video on counterfeit components and how to identify them?

That's way too specific an issue, as in terms of what to look for. You basically have to have a genuine one and fake one side-by-side, and they can vary in countless ways.
So not really a practical video to do I don't think.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:40:35 pm »

That's way too specific an issue, as in terms of what to look for. You basically have to have a genuine one and fake one side-by-side, and they can vary in countless ways.
So not really a practical video to do I don't think.
it would be very beneficial. or mabe just a video on how to avoid them in the first place.
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline Prime73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:11:49 pm »

how to avoid them in the first place.

Buy from digikey and other respectful vendors?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf