Author Topic: I Don't Like the "New Kid"  (Read 17795 times)

Offline CoalCreekPlasticsTopic starter

• Supporter
  • !
I Don't Like the "New Kid"
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:49:15 am »
I think after watching the last two videos about Dave not being paid for reviews and "the old" EEVblog I figured my opinion mattered and I would stir the pot, because Dave "likes feedback."

I don't like David and I'm trying to quantify why.  I guess for starters, he always looks like he just got out of bed, has bad skin, and I don't like his British accent.  There is something about his tutorials and videos that make them difficult to listen to and watch.  Perhaps it's the odd cadence or tone of his voice.  This last video comparing three mechanical CAD packages was just a goat rodeo.  Why are you modeling components in the first place when Solidworks supports like a zillion vendors putting their stuff in the application for you to use?  Jesus.

When I watch an EEVblog video I want to see Dave, I like his welcoming Australian "hoi" and his unique sense of humor and wit.  I also appreciate the knowledge I get from him.  He's charismatic and knowledgeable. David in contrast is not and seems to have none of the other things going for him. 

OFFENSIVE PASSAGE REMOVED.  I gave him a chance, but I guess I will have to skip 'ol David's videos. Bob's not his uncle and I request he be replaced by a promising and attractive young Sheila.  It worked for Keysight's videos.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:36:38 am by CoalCreekPlastics »

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
Re: I Don't Like the "New Kid"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:15:27 am »
You don't have to watch every vid to support the channel, just watch the ones that appeal to you. I actually liked David's presentation, so if you're finding them intollerable just move on OK?

The following users thanked this post: TheWelly888, deephaven, gnif, thm_w, Frank, alexanderbrevig, gnavigator1007

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:16:51 am »
Silence is golden  ;D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:27:45 am »
I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Have you any sense of respect or decency? How can you think that this an acceptable thing to complain about?

LOL what?  Why is it unacceptable?  Indecent?  This is too funny.

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:29:05 am »
You don't have to watch every vid to support the channel, just watch the ones that appeal to you. I actually liked David's presentation, so if you're finding them intollerable just move on OK?

Okay so yeah I agree, I already said that was the plan...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:33:04 am by CoalCreekPlastics »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:06 am »
I think after watching the last two videos about Dave not being paid for reviews and "the old" EEVblog I figured my opinion mattered and I would stir the pot, because Dave "likes feedback."

I like feedback without personal attacks.
Calling someone a prick is a personal attack that will get you banned on this forum.

The following users thanked this post: TheWelly888, boffin, jonovid, jpc

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:34:41 am »
This threads going straight to my ignore list. Unfortunately I have to wait for someone else to feed the troll.  >:(

I'm not a troll, I just don't like the new kid.  Clearly it's a minority opinion.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
I Don't Like the "New Kid"
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:38:07 am »
Some people fondly imagine that they are calling a spade a spade and being refreshingly honest. Everyone else just thinks they are being a dick.

Think. Would you say this to someone in person? If not, then why would you on the web? It hurts the same to the recipient.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, Jacon

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:38:35 am »
Well, what can you say? I actually liked Davids videos as they are more of the tutorial type and I like that stuff too. You are of course free not to watch. The mechanical side is becoming ever more relevant and I use both with equal measure.

The problem is not your opinion but the nastiness in it. There are lots of people I prefer not to associate with, but I don't call them names in public just because they are not my type.

The following users thanked this post: TheWelly888, deephaven, gnavigator1007, cgroen, Jacon

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:38:50 am »

I like feedback without personal attacks.
Calling someone a prick is a personal attack that will get you banned on this forum.

I removed that part, sorry if I went too far, it was meant to describe a stereotype. Sounds like this should just be deleted but I cant do it myself.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:47:19 am by CoalCreekPlastics »

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 08:40:47 am »
Well, what can you say? I actually liked Davids videos as they are more of the tutorial type and I like that stuff too. You are of course free not to watch. The mechanical side is becoming ever more relevant and I use both with equal measure.

The problem is not your opinion but the nastiness in it. There are lots of people I prefer not to associate with, but I don't call them names in public just because they are not my type.

Nastiness was not intentional, seems like I'm the prick.

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:49 am »
Some people fondly imagine that they are calling a spade a spade and being refreshingly honest. Everyone else just thinks they are being a dick.

Think. Would you say this to someone in person? If not, then why would you on the web? It hurts the same to the recipient.

So I would have said that to his face, I guess the delivery didn't come across in text.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:04:03 am »
When you've been on a 100% diet of Dave, adding something to the menu is going to affect the flavour of what gets served - and that is unavoidable.

The question becomes - How does this change sit with you?

The content is not an issue for me.  To me, it doesn't make a lot of difference who presents a subject, it's how it is presented that will attract the main focus of my critical assessment.

On that subject, I - and others - have given feedback on his first couple of videos, which seems to have been taken on board.  What more can you ask for?

As for the things that may not appeal to you (or anyone for that matter) certainly feel free to air your points - but I don't feel there is any need to get quite so "intense".

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:10:16 am »
It seems the section that I was referring to as "intense" has been removed.  My issue is that it was ever posted in the first place.

Aside from being inappropriate, it's the quickest way to sabotage one's credibility.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 09:22:52 am »
I skip David videos. The topics are either too basic, or just don't interest me.

OP:" I wouldn't complain about this. Keep in mind, that these videos are extras, the schedule for Dave videos haven't changed. And placing these vids on eevblog2 (or whatever) would even give him a chance.
But then, I have to quote Dave for Dave:
When will these people get, people watch the show for the hosts. This isn't The Wiggles aimed at 4yo

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 09:40:50 am »
It seems the section that I was referring to as "intense" has been removed.  My issue is that it was ever posted in the first place.

Aside from being inappropriate, it's the quickest way to sabotage one's credibility.

I hear you, and I take your point and meaning.  It genuinely was not a personal attack, it was a ham-handed attempt at describing a stereotype.  This is why I am not on YouTube.  I also left the remainder up, so as not to further undermine my credibility by not standing by what I said.

I have received a good "talking to" here (and I am taking it after realizing the way it came across) and if the forum participants think I should, I will ask a moderator to take my comments down.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:46:09 am by CoalCreekPlastics »

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 09:59:02 am »
I skip David videos. The topics are either too basic, or just don't interest me.

OP:" I wouldn't complain about this. Keep in mind, that these videos are extras, the schedule for Dave videos haven't changed. And placing these vids on eevblog2 (or whatever) would even give him a chance.
But then, I have to quote Dave for Dave:
When will these people get, people watch the show for the hosts. This isn't The Wiggles aimed at 4yo

I will be mindful that these are "extras."  This last piece you quoted here is pivotal though.  What I should have found a better way to say was that I don't think the quality and the presentation are at the level I am used to from EEVblog videos.  I watch Dave (and want to support him, not get booted off his forum) because of all the good things I mentioned in my original post.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 10:13:17 am »
I will be mindful that these are "extras."  This last piece you quoted here is pivotal though.  What I should have found a better way to say was that I don't think the quality and the presentation are at the level I am used to from EEVblog videos.   

Which is why they do not get EEVblog numbers. It's not me and I don't direct or edit the videos in any major way.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 11:07:16 am »
I just don't like the new kid.

I like the dude a lot! Enthusiastic; doesn't talk rubbish; adds value...

SNR is in our favour with this one.

The following users thanked this post: TheWelly888, ErikTheNorwegian

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 11:25:03 am »
I cannot say i especially find Dave 2 that watchable but no point to get personal and act like a ass. :wtf:

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 11:37:16 am »
I reckon David adds value. In a big way. A couple of years ago most of his content would have been right up my alley. And I still get value from a good portion of his content.

I'm fortunate enough to know a lot more things, thanks to you jokers on this forum, and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for Dave on youtube. I don't watch 100% of his stuff any more, but it works out well for me that he's OK spending actual moola on someone else creating content.

The following users thanked this post: ErikTheNorwegian

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 12:31:35 pm »
I reckon David adds value. In a big way. A couple of years ago most of his content would have been right up my alley. And I still get value from a good portion of his content.

I'm fortunate enough to know a lot more things, thanks to you jokers on this forum, and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for Dave on youtube. I don't watch 100% of his stuff any more, but it works out well for me that he's OK spending actual moola on someone else creating content.
I'm not saying it is bad. The recent EEVacademy videos just dont interest me, as it was covered in Digital Design 101 or Control Systems or other university course back in the day. And probably the majority of audience doesnt have EE qualifications, and this is new to them. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm just providing feedback.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 12:35:18 pm »
I'd be a little easy on david as a person, I mean think about if you were in his shoes and putting videos out there on daves channel? How much do you need to try and live up to? I don't know how much experience David has but, I'm sure even if you had experience it would be intimidating. I don't remember seeing David on camera much but I think it would help to get some facetime on camera and get to know him a bit. What it David passionate and excited about?  Just some thoughts.
Gone for good

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 12:43:11 pm »
I like David, period! (and I don't like the tone in the original post, also period!)
He seems like a very bright young man, seeing his 3D printer video makes you realize that he has some very good skills (and he puts his energy into it!).
His "presenting mode" is different than Dave, so what ?
He has my outmost respect!

The following users thanked this post: deephaven, ErikTheNorwegian, hammy, gnavigator1007, 3db, jonovid, Jacon

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 01:18:37 pm »
This thread sucks.  Why should a personal attack on David2 be tolerated? IMHO Should be deleted, in fact isn't there a 'duty of care' to delete it?

*Based on the original post

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:20:27 pm by NivagSwerdna »

The following users thanked this post: hammy, Frank, DTJ, Richard Crowley, Muttley Snickers, alexanderbrevig, cgroen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf