Author Topic: Knowing when it's time to clean your workbench....  (Read 5208 times)

Offline george gravesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Knowing when it's time to clean your workbench....
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:18:18 am »
I'm really looking forward to this.  Now, I know it's a simple question and could be answered in a sentence - and that each person is different, blah, blah, blah...but I also know Dave could rant on for days about most anything....

So how about a blog on knowing when it's time to clean your workbench.  How messy should it get before you clean up?

I would think a lot of newcomers (myself included) could save a lot of time and headache if someone with more experience shared their insight.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:02:53 am by george graves »

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Knowing when it's time to clean your workbench....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:43:42 am »
As soon as there are bits of metel (solder/component legs) over the part of the bench where you put pcbs to work on, its time to clean up.
Otherwise you risk shorting things out.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:58:50 am »
I start to think about cleaning my bench when I can't find my soldering station....... and I'm not kidding.....<sigh>.  I wish I were more of a neat freak, but I'm not.... I'm a self confessed slob..... At work (where I actually get paid to care) I'm a neat freak of sorts...... I'm quite fussy about keeping things in order and tidy, but at home, at my own work bench.... gad, I wish it were actually visible.... the bench I mean!

I'm not proud..... just lazy.

Regards

Kaptain "You mean there's actually a bench under all that crap?!?!?" Zero

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:13 am »
well, compared to kaptain zero, i'm a neater guy, in the sense that before the bench is invisible, i will start to lose my mind. so my rule of thumb is... tidy up when u got a headache... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=812.0
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:40:48 am »
When the pile of stuff pushed to the  back to make way for new stuff becomes too unstable.

The big secret to keeping things reasonably tidy is for everything to have a place - this means that tidying up is quick & easy, as it is not hindered by frequent 'now where shall I put this' conundrums.

Accept that some thing will always live on the bench, and allow space for this- the whole back of my bench is lined with these:

for all small hand tools, so they're always within reach and quick to put back. These naturally organise themselves into most frequently used closest over time.

If it's quick and easy to tidy you'll do it more often - even things like getting into the habit of putting away one or two things while waiting for an iron to heat up can make a big difference.

Having the 'places' organised such that the stuff used most frequently is closest to hand also helps - the further you have to move stuff to put away the less likely you are to do it.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:37:28 pm »
The big secret to keeping things reasonably tidy is for everything to have a place - this means that tidying up is quick & easy, as it is not hindered by frequent 'now where shall I put this' conundrums.
right! i should build another rack for the things on the floor and the stuffs next room that have not been sorted.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:41:08 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:15:52 pm »
When you can't find what you want or it takes too long to locate it, or you have an accident in your lab, its definitely time to clean.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Alex

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 01:42:02 pm »
Why worry about when it is time to clean when you have your WAGs to remind you!

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 03:35:59 pm »
wife (and girlfriend)? no way! she doesnt know my stuffs. i clean my stuffs myself.

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:08:14 pm »
I can't tell you how many times I've heard things like "It would be easier to clean in here if you started with a dumpster."  8-(
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Alex

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »
So have you cleaned your bench yet george graves?  :D

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:31:27 pm »
it's time to clean when you find yourself playing Jenga with all of the crap on your desk, every time you go to grab something. I cleaned yesterday... continuing today :D
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline Ernie Milko

• Regular Contributor

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 06:50:08 pm »
When I have forgotten the colour of my bench top...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:21:22 pm by TheWelly888 »
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline Frangible

• Regular Contributor
  • Contraptioneer
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 07:17:09 pm »
When the words "Spontaneous Combustion" begin to make you feel uneasy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf