Author Topic: Need a couple new sections for the forum  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Ben321Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Need a couple new sections for the forum
« on: February 14, 2020, 06:25:02 am »
First, we need a forum suggestion section, as this suggestion section appears to be about the blog part of the site, and no forum section appears to be for suggestions for the forum itself.

Second, we need a night vision section in the Products category of the forum. As it is right now, there's only a section for thermal imagers, but not for normal night vision (image intensifier) devices. I've already made a couple threads in the thermal imager section about image intensifier NV scopes, as it appears to be the best possible current section to post about that topic. Even so though, it's still off topic, and I don't want to end up getting banned from the forum for posting off topic. So I'm requesting a section for other night vision technologies (ones that don't depend on thermal imaging).

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Need a couple new sections for the forum
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 06:59:28 am »
- "Physics and Mathematics"
- "CNC and 3D Printing"
 ^-^

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 08:37:35 am »
Understandable if the poster is newly joined, say at relaxing level of post counts < 50, still, many regulars like with >100 post counts, few I spotted > 1000  :palm:, just love to pour every of their new created thread in "General Chat" area, even there are clearly related sections created for the topic they made.  ::)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 08:45:54 am »
There is a standard problem with any classification scheme: where something could be put into more than one category, which should be used. Example: should repairing a 6 digit DVM be put in "repair", "metrology" or "test equipment"?

The more categories there are, the more times that becomes an issue, and the more times people double post or a topic has to be moved by the moderators.

Summary: more categories produce more problems, and they should only be introduced rarely and judiciously.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: thinkfat

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 08:59:26 am »
There is a standard problem with any classification scheme: where something could be put into more than one category, which should be used. Example: should repairing a 6 digit DVM be put in "repair", "metrology" or "test equipment"?

Your example there is just unavoidable, imo, just leave it as is, as long its in "repair", "metrology" or "test equipments" .. but NOT in "general area" for sure.  :palm:

At your example, sometimes, say the thread creator is a total electronics noob, and struck by blind luck scoring a cheap 8.5 digits DMM  ::), and start asking a very-very basic and fundamental question about using a DMM, this sometimes can fall into "beginner" too, imo.

My suggestion is active regulars here also help mod teams, by reporting a "misplaced" thread, and suggesting to move to other more suitable section, I see this is the only way to keep clean & tidy.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 11:07:22 am »

Your example there is just unavoidable, imo, just leave it as is, as long its in "repair", "metrology" or "test equipments" .. but NOT in "general area" for sure.  :palm:

Yes, it is an absolutely inevitable problem. It occurs in libraries, and in my filing cabinet for important papers. For the latter, should I file the bank's letter "you were paid X interest last year" with bank statements or tax returns? The only point is that it won't (or shouldn't) be in with the insurance etc.

In other words, the best you can hope achieve is to specify where it isn't - which is your point above.

Memorably, R.V. Jones (author of the excellent Most Secret War and head of scientific intelligence in WW2) recounted that the best way he found of organising all the reports and info that came his way was to put it in large boxes with minimal sorting. So long as he could remember which box, he could find it again.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 11:44:37 am »
The fastest way to kill a forum is to divide it into a thousand categories. But if it has to be done, I suggest a category "Everything" that shows every msg no matter the category it belongs to.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:57:36 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, StillTrying

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 07:33:24 pm »
I just use "show new posts".

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 08:02:23 pm »
I just use "show new posts".

Where is that?
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:07:37 pm »
upper left corner of each page, near your avatar
"Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts."

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 08:33:55 pm »
- "Physics and Mathematics"
- "CNC and 3D Printing"
 ^-^
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacement-knobs-feet-and-fittings-for-test-equipment/

Maybe a simulation section? I think lots of us want to grow past LTSpice, and some might be eager to learn thermal/mechanical and electromagnetic simulation.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/circuit-simulation-(sticky)/

Both could just be sticky threads in the appropriate forum board so easy to find.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:53:15 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ben321Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 10:52:16 pm »
I still think the general Night Vision category would be good to add, and we really need a Forum Suggestions category.

Currently, the section called "EEVblog Specific" carries the description "Chat relating to specific EEVblog episodes or content.", and its child-board called "suggestions" carries the description "Suggestions for future blogs.". There appears to be no place to suggest improvements to the forum itself, and I think that posting my suggestion where I did may count as a rules violation due to it being off topic. So we really need a section where we can post suggestions for the forum, where the admins will frequently read it, and who's entire purpose is to provide forum suggestions to the admins.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 08:17:12 am »
I still think the general Night Vision category would be good to add,
I'm not sure I agree.  Both thermal and night vision are IR technologies, just different wavelength.

and we really need a Forum Suggestions category.
No, no, no ..... please no!

Currently, the section called "EEVblog Specific" carries the description "Chat relating to specific EEVblog episodes or content.", and its child-board called "suggestions" carries the description "Suggestions for future blogs.". There appears to be no place to suggest improvements to the forum itself, and I think that posting my suggestion where I did may count as a rules violation due to it being off topic. So we really need a section where we can post suggestions for the forum, where the admins will frequently read it, and who's entire purpose is to provide forum suggestions to the admins.
There is just not the need to try and polish the presentation of the Forum to conform to an "ideal" - because everyone's opinion on what is ideal varies enormously - and there will end up being an inordinate amount of effort expended in restructuring instead of supporting a functional environment.  Creating a corner of the forum with that precisely defined label is pointless - as the number of forum change suggestions is small as it is and that section would soon be forgotten.  Also, the number of posts that "pollute" the suggestions category are so small, it's not an issue.  It is just not worth getting precious about.

As others have said, over zealous categorisation is deadly.  There will be some ideas that will may fit in more than one category and when someone chooses one, others will argue it is better located in another.  This results in more discussion about an administrative distraction and not about the purpose of the forum.  The general approach I have observed here is that if a topic is in a category that has some semblance of relevance, it is left to roll.

Even with things as they are now, occasionally some threads are created in an inappropriate category.  Making the playing field even bigger is just silly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:19:51 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf