Author Topic: Open a discord channel for EEVblog  (Read 12747 times)

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Open a discord channel for EEVblog
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:35:48 pm »
Hi,

It is the age of discord these days as you all know.

So I suggest making an official EEVblog discord channel so everyone can enter and hang out there to talk directly to each other. It is easier to communicate with each other and asking questions seems better than forum. Forum should always still be there too.

Looking forward to your reply... probably an eevblab could be good for discussing this.

regards!

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
  • somehow has an ee degree
    • szy.io
Re: Open a discord channel for EEVblog
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 12:13:16 pm »
+1

I use the hell out of discord for talking with friends and communities I'm involved in and I love it. It's a great way to talk with like-minded people and share what's going on.
somehow allowed to be a Pixie Wrangler in Training
eBay Store | My site | Hackaday.io Projects | my mastodon.technology profile

The following users thanked this post: felixd

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 01:09:34 am »
Bah, you young peoples with your social media chitty-chats. I can guarantee that there many old codgers on this forum who cannot be coaxed or convinced to go on any of those type of platforms. So your discord channel will be an echo chamber of millennials bereft of old guy wisdom and lore, good luck!

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, Jacon, knapik, Moriambar, Shiv

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:33:53 am »
As an old guy who uses Slack a lot which is like a more private version of Discord, I have to agree.

It’s a bad idea usually. It demands immediacy and attention which I can’t be arsed with. The young don’t understand the power of attention these days because they are programmed to live in a world of distractions.

Edit: crap just realised I’m an old guy. And I haven’t had a mid life crisis yet. Any suggestions?

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Online janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 09:39:43 am »
Hi,

It is the age of discord these days as you all know

Really? Kinda didn't notice. But IRC did celebrate 30 years recently.

Bah, you young peoples with your social media chitty-chats. I can guarantee that there many old codgers on this forum who cannot be coaxed or convinced to go on any of those type of platforms. So your discord channel will be an echo chamber of millennials bereft of old guy wisdom and lore, good luck!

I wouldn't put it that way but you are right - most people have no time to sit in a chat room because they have actually jobs and families to deal with. This existed before with IRC and other technologies - and rarely got any critical mass to be of much use beyond a few people chatting among themselves. Or, even more often, 10 or so people on the channel/in the room, all away from keyboard because they are doing something else while there is nothing going on the chat ...

For me even this forum is a hassle - I prefer old-school mailing lists because then the content comes to me and I can deal with it at my leisure when I want/have time, instead of having to go out to actively seek it (or to actively sit in a chatroom hoping that someone will actually reply to my question!).

It may not sound like a big deal if you only deal with one or two forums but if you are involved in several busy communities/projects it is a huge time sink compared to e-mail. That's why pretty much all collaborative OSS projects run on mailing lists and not forums - if the developers had to deal with a forum noise constantly, they would have no time for the project itself.

So if you want a Discord channel - by all means, do start one. Just don't be disappointed by its adoption later.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:51:57 am by janoc »

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 09:51:07 am »
Edit: crap just realised I’m an old guy. And I haven’t had a mid life crisis yet. Any suggestions?
Get on with it! Then, if you enjoy it, you'll have time for another :)

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 10:54:03 am »

LOL. At one point I thought of opening a Grumpy Old Farts' Club thread on the General board where we oldtimers could rant at will, but I was afraid of it being locked.

Well, sorry to tell you, but if you just realized you are an old guy, then you're having a mid life crisis. That's the exact definition of it.

Really? Kinda didn't notice. But IRC did celebrate 30 years recently.

I still use IRC. These days, only occasionally, however. But back in my day I got a connection to IRC using telnet and entered the commands using the terminal. None of this app rubbish.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 11:38:29 am »
To me, "discord" has the same definition today as it did in 1980 - and I am inclined to take exception with people who want to annex their comments with phrases like "as we all know".  No - we ALL do NOT know ... and many of us do not care to know.  The current day social media and instant connection with people is not universally adopted.  It may be there, but there are more people who do not use it than those who do.

For those who wish to partake - please understand there are many of us who would prefer to not.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 08:22:12 pm »
I am a user of IRC for a long time (anime and fansub stuff mostly) so I didn't leave IRC but Discord is new deal these days. All you have to do is open your browser and make a pinned tab with your discord in it. This way you just start your browser then automatically loads your discord account with all your servers in it.

It is suitable for everyone and I don't get it why "old people" do not like it... no excuse anyway.

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
    • szy.io
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 08:53:57 pm »
Jeez, the number of old folks getting riled up in here is worrying, I might need to watch for stampeeding walkers...

But seriously, if you ever look at internet communities now you'll notice that many online forums, subreddits, etc. have dedicated discord servers because so many people have started using it. Don't go bah-humbuging just because you can't be arsed to notice how people are communicating on the internet.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 09:04:06 pm »
As an old guy who uses Slack a lot which is like a more private version of Discord, I have to agree.

It’s a bad idea usually. It demands immediacy and attention which I can’t be arsed with. The young don’t understand the power of attention these days because they are programmed to live in a world of distractions.

Buy a boat. The divorce will follow automatically.

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 09:06:04 pm »
I am a user of IRC for a long time (anime and fansub stuff mostly) so I didn't leave IRC but Discord is new deal these days. All you have to do is open your browser and make a pinned tab with your discord in it. This way you just start your browser then automatically loads your discord account with all your servers in it.

It is suitable for everyone and I don't get it why "old people" do not like it... no excuse anyway.
I'm not too familiar with Discord. What's the difference between it and something like IRC?

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
    • szy.io
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 09:07:25 pm »

I'm not too familiar with Discord. What's the difference between it and something like IRC?

Discord and IRC are very similar. Discord has servers which are like IRC servers, and Discord has channels which are like IRC channels. However, Discord servers are free to create and you don't host them yourself, and they also include voice chat (like Mumble or TeamSpeak). Discord also allows for complex moderation setups and easy sharing of images, files, etc.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 09:52:11 pm »

I was being flippant in my first post, using this topic as an opening to invoke my old-timer privilege  with a semi-serious get -off-my-lawn comment. But that doesn't mean  there isn't a real divide in the engineering community. Others have noted this as well. I think it was a Jack Ganssle article I read that mentioned freshly minted engineers that have been using twitter/SMS/ ect. since childhood were loath to use company email to communicate with their older colleagues.

The real underlying  issue is immediacy versus permanence. The reason that many people gravitate to the more immediate forms is that they give some kind of psycho-tropic neurological feedback that is addictive. I don't have that addiction. I rejected IRC when it first came out and reject it today as a total time sink. With most social media there is the additional powerful psychological inducement that it feeds narcissism. That explains the twitter addiction of the orange Julius president  who is a raging narcissist even though he is older than I am. My impression of the people both old and young who crave this immediacy is that they have the attention span of gerbils hooked on crystal meth.

Looking at discord I see it is not as simple as IRC but I don't see how  intelligent  high value responses can get preserved so that they are searchable later. So you want to pester me with a chat panel that demands my constant attention, get me to answer your hasty question, give you immediate gratification and then throw away my response so that no one else can benefit. Right.
I will get back to you on that, real soon now.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: janoc, Andy Watson, nugglix, Jacon

Online janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 09:55:43 pm »
Jeez, the number of old folks getting riled up in here is worrying, I might need to watch for stampeeding walkers...
 Don't go bah-humbuging just because you can't be arsed to notice how people are communicating on the internet.

That cuts both ways, you know. Especially for people pushing for all sorts of shiny crap not realizing how the others (who they pretend to speak for) actually use that "internet" (website, forum, what have you). Making baseless assumptions like that is dangerous and you are risking making a fool out of yourself.

That "everyone" (= all teens and 20 somethings) today is using Instagram, Whatsapp (Facebook is apparently out among the cool kids already) doesn't mean that everyone else needs to ape that as well.

If you want to use a Discord server, by all means, go ahead. But stop talking for everyone else or assume that you know how I use the internet and why am I doing it in the way I do.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:58:16 pm by janoc »

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
    • szy.io
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 09:56:12 pm »

I was being flippant in my first post, using this topic as an opening to invoke my old-timer privilege  with a semi-serious get -off-my-lawn comment. But that doesn't mean  there isn't a real divide in the engineering community. Others have noted this as well. I think it was a Jack Ganssle article I read that mentioned freshly minted engineers that have been using twitter/SMS/ ect. since childhood were loath to use company email to communicate with their older colleagues.

The real underlying  issue is immediacy versus permanence. The reason that many people gravitate to the more immediate forms is that they give some kind of psycho-tropic neurological feedback that is addictive. I don't have that addiction. I rejected IRC when it first came out and reject it today as a total time sink. With most social media there is the additional powerful psychological inducement that it feeds narcissism. That explains the twitter addiction of the orange Julius president  who is a raging narcissist even though he is older than I am. My impression of the people both old and young who crave this immediacy is that they have the attention span of gerbils hooked on crystal meth.

Looking at discord I see it is not as simple as IRC but I don't see how  intelligent  high value responses can get preserved so that they are searchable later. So you want to pester me with a chat panel that demands my constant attention, get me to answer your hasty question, give you immediate gratification and then throw away my response so that no one else can benefit. Right.
I will get back to you on that, real soon now.  :-DD

I think you're seriously misunderstanding how this can be used just for the sake of being able to say "THOSE DAMN KIDS CANT WAIT FIVE SECONDS FOR ANYTHING"

The beauty of Discord (or IRC, or any other online chat) is when you're having a problem or working on a project and want to talk with like-minded people on it. Nobody's saying you have to be in there all the damn time. And who says every single form of communication has to be archived forever? Do you record and archive every single conversation you have with people just in case something you/they say is useful in the future? You're being daft for the sake of trying to make yourself sound superior because of your age and blame the youth because you're falling out of touch.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:58:29 pm by mdszy »

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
    • szy.io
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 09:57:08 pm »
Don't go bah-humbuging just because you can't be arsed to notice how people are communicating on the internet.

That cuts both ways, you know. Especially for people pushing for all sorts of shiny crap not realizing how the others (who they pretend to speak for) actually use that "internet" (website, forum, what have you). Making baseless assumptions like that is dangerous and you are risking making a fool out of yourself.

That "everyone" (= all teens and 20 somethings) today is using Instagram, Whatsapp (Facebook is apparently out among the cool kids already) doesn't mean that everyone else needs to ape that as well.

If you want to use a Discord server, by all means, go ahead. But stop talking for everyone else or assume that you know how I use the internet and why am I doing it in the way I do.

I don't use Whatsapp or Instagram, but I know what they are, which is my point. I'm not saying you have to use every newfangled thing but you should at least know what services on the internet are popular and not go blaming others when you're the one who doesn't know about it.

Online janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 10:03:35 pm »

I don't use Whatsapp or Instagram, but I know what they are, which is my point. I'm not saying you have to use every newfangled thing but you should at least know what services on the internet are popular and not go blaming others when you're the one who doesn't know about it.

Kiddo, and why do you think that should be so? People live for other things that caring about whichever is the latest social network/chat service/whatever. Different priorities and values, you know.

Get real. I strongly suggest you tone down your replies because you are coming across as extremely arrogant.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, Jacon

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
    • szy.io
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 10:05:25 pm »

Kiddo, and why do you think that should be so? People live for other things that caring about whichever is the latest social network/chat service/whatever. Different priorities and values, you know.

Get real. I strongly suggest you tone down your replies because you are coming across as extremely arrogant.

Or just don't winge and cry when someone's wording of "as you all know" somehow triggers you enough to write a rant about THESE DAMN KIDS. Maybe just don't take everything so seriously.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 10:25:20 pm »
In what way is "discord" a better solution than a forum? 

So in "discord" you can talk to like minded people... you are doing that right here in the forum.  Is discord searchable?  Will google find discord conversations?  Because the forum is, and google can.

The EEVBlog forum is not a gossipy water cooler type forum where what you say is so unimportant in the scheme of things that it doesn't matter if it's visible for an hour let alone a decade, this is a technical forum, people have mostly technical discussions that people in the future may wish to find and refer to.

In short, the EEVBlog is not a chatty place, it's a place for in depth detailed discussion.

If you want a transiently chatty place, fine go make a discord, or an IRC channel, or whatever, but technical discussions do not belong there IMHO and 99% of EEVBlog forum is technical discussion.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 10:33:03 pm »
In what way is "discord" a better solution than a forum? 

So in "discord" you can talk to like minded people... you are doing that right here in the forum.  Is discord searchable?  Will google find discord conversations?  Because the forum is, and google can.

The EEVBlog forum is not a gossipy water cooler type forum where what you say is so unimportant in the scheme of things that it doesn't matter if it's visible for an hour let alone a decade, this is a technical forum, people have mostly technical discussions that people in the future may wish to find and refer to.

In short, the EEVBlog is not a chatty place, it's a place for in depth detailed discussion.

If you want a transiently chatty place, fine go make a discord, or an IRC channel, or whatever, but technical discussions do not belong there IMHO and 99% of EEVBlog forum is technical discussion.

You should have read my OP where I said we don't need to ditch the forum.

Discord (or IRC) gives the ability to chat directly with like-minded people. You ask a question and who are online can answer it quickly or just discuss something freely in real time. No any forum can give you that.

Now if you don't prefer direct chatting, then stick with forums. However, other people (lots of them) don't mind hanging out in such chat channel especially that discord can run on a browser tab (I pin that tab so I don't even need to put the address) without any client or anything... so it is easier than ever and requires no hassle at all except for signing one time and putting the address one time then pin the tab (in firefox).

Don't you see all forums/subreddits/irc/gaming/sites....etc. are putting a discord server for themselves? this has never been done like this for IRC or so. All of that because it is a very easy app due to what I explained above and gives the best communication ever in internet as of today. Also, you can control your own server and put mods, ban people, put private and public channels, voice, etc...

So adding one for EEVblog (an official one) can certainly benefit the community a lot and won't hurt the forum or anything or anyone. I see no reason for not doing one.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 10:55:40 pm »
A technical forum who opened a discord:
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4500#p48924

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 12:37:29 am »
I used it once, its was, meh.
What's the point if the (correct me if I'm wrong) the chats aren't permanent and searchable?
Most of it ends up dribble anyway, just look a the comments on my live video chats.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, Jacon

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
    • szy.io
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 12:41:36 am »
I used it once, its was, meh.
What's the point if the (correct me if I'm wrong) the chats aren't permanent and searchable?
Most of it ends up dribble anyway, just look a the comments on my live video chats.

The chats are definitely searchable. I'm not sure for how long, but they definitely can be searched. And it's not like IRC is searchable unless you have a bouncer and keep logs of everything that happens.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

The following users thanked this post: felixd

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf