Author Topic: Please abandon tapatalk (Clickjacking!)  (Read 5388 times)

Offline ruffy91Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Please abandon tapatalk (Clickjacking!)
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:00:08 pm »
Hi Dave,

Tapatalk is replacing all the links on your forum in the app with clickjacking links to make some more money.
For example in this post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/good-thermal-adhesive/msg2689491/#msg2689491
The link to farnell (https://uk.farnell.com/mg-chemicals/9400-3ml/thermally-conductive-adhesive/dp/2889798) gets replaced with hxxps://www.tkqlhce[.]com/click-6146961-12688428?sid=<I masked this value for privacy>&url=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.farnell.com%2Fmg-chemicals%2F9400-3ml%2Fthermally-conductive-adhesive%2Fdp%2F2889798

I only foud this out because tkqlhce[.]com failed to configure their SSL certificate correctly so that I got an error in my phone browser before I got redirected to farnell.com.
tkqlhce[.]com afaik belongs to CJ affiliates which sells the data gathered through this for money: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJ_Affiliate

I think you should not tolerate such practices done to your forum visitors.

As a consequence I stopped using tapatalk and now use the mobile forum which I think is a good replacement.

Best Regards

The following users thanked this post: tom66, mcinque, Kean, blueskull, nugglix, Ysjoelfir, gnavigator1007, ledtester, BBBbbb, Jacon

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Please abandon tapatalk (Clickjacking!)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 09:15:39 pm »
Offtopic but maybe related: I don't think dave would do it, but one idea for extra $ would be to add his referral code to any ebay/alix/amazon link posted on the forum. Of course the tapatalk one could still override his code and modify it.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:30:57 pm »
Of course they do. As the saying goes, if you don't pay for something then you are the product. Apps like Tapatalk are not created for the good of humanity. All the various apps that every website seems to have these days exist for the same reason, an app can harvest far more data than a mobile website.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 01:29:18 am »
Yo , dawg, we put a tap on your talk, so we can tap your talk while you tapatalk.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:12:41 am »
Yep, confirmed, that's  :--
They already are displaying ads.
Does the paid pro version get rid of this?

I know a lot of people use Tapatalk, and there will be a big uproar if I remove it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 04:07:45 am »
I don't understand the appeal, what's wrong with the mobile websites? Why does anyone want to use an app that siphons off your personal data to do something that can be done with an ordinary browser?

The following users thanked this post: janoc, GeorgeOfTheJungle, Ysjoelfir, gnavigator1007, Electro Detective

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 04:09:22 am »

I know a lot of people use Tapatalk, and there will be a big uproar if I remove it.

Just make an announcement before pulling it out.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 04:27:06 am »
I don't understand the appeal, what's wrong with the mobile websites? Why does anyone want to use an app that siphons off your personal data to do something that can be done with an ordinary browser?

Because Tapatalk consolidates multiple forums into the one app, and forum nerds are usually multiple forum nerds.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 04:27:51 am »

IIRC I pulled it quite some time back for some technical reason and the uproar was huge.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 04:33:28 am »

IIRC I pulled it quite some time back for some technical reason and the uproar was huge.

I remember that, cause it was unplanned.

Don't see why people will uproar like crazy, if you planned and socialize (announce) your decision ahead, say 1 week ? or few weeks ?

Or, make a polling, but my feeling, the polling will turn into multi-pages heated debates/arguments, as usual.  :-DD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 04:35:01 am »
POll: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/important!-poll-removing-support-for-tapatalk/new/#new

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 04:36:11 am »
Don't see why people will uproar like crazy, if you planned and socialize (announce) your decision ahead, say 1 week ? or few weeks ?

The problem is IIRC a lot of valuable members only (or mostly) use the forum via Tapatalk, and they said they would stop contributing if support was pulled.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 04:53:04 am »

The problem is IIRC a lot of valuable members only (or mostly) use the forum via Tapatalk, and they said they would stop contributing if support was pulled.

Ok, I guess it will end up to you to guesstimate and consider wisely, on how it will annoy the upcoming future valuable members as well.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 06:56:04 am »
I must admit WhackAWhine's in your face "I'm here so use me, I'm here so use me, I'm here so use me" irritates me, but I can live with it - or rather live without it.

If it really is inserting advertising, I'd have thought that would be a significant turn-off for most people. Since it is clear and visible, punters can make their own choice.

But clickjacking is invisible and deceptive. Is there any practical way you could warn users (and maybe remind existing users) of the clickjacking?

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Bratster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 07:06:35 am »

Pro version doesn't have ads.

But I can confirm that the click jacking is still there on the link mentioned by the OP.

:(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Kean

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 07:08:33 am »
I've tried using tapatalk several times and it has always been slow and glitchy. It also used a lot of CPU power. I prefer the desktop version of all forums on my phone and find it works quite nicely.
So I certainly wouldn't miss it, especially with them altering users data.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir, gnavigator1007

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 01:30:50 pm »

How about other valuable members like me  ::) who does not want hates it. And we have not been such pussies threating to pull out, so we are more valuable  ^-^
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir, Jacon, Electro Detective

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 09:51:55 pm »
POll: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/important!-poll-removing-support-for-tapatalk/new/#new

DJs POLL link may not work for some because in my browser it's sort of half active (?)  :-// and goes to a 404 Not Found page

Copy and paste the entire line if having problems > https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/important!-poll-removing-support-for-tapatalk/new/#new

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:58:28 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 12:31:31 am »

Would it not be those very same people that would be affected by this clickjacking App?

While the principle of giving such a subversive piece of crap software the heave-ho is understandable, wouldn't such a decision ONLY be valid coming from those who use it?

Edit:  Having said that - I wouldn't imagine they would be too supportive of the idea of keeping it around ... but I'm not one of that crowd.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:33:27 am by Brumby »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 01:01:30 am »
While the principle of giving such a subversive piece of crap software the heave-ho is understandable, wouldn't such a decision ONLY be valid coming from those who use it?

That's why the poll has option for those that use it and those that don't. Currently the poll shows 10 out of 13 people who use it, want it gone!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 01:05:47 am »
Well, looks like I can't even uninstall it without potential issues:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 01:08:27 am »
Here is the code it has problems with removing:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2019, 01:16:35 am »
And after some manual file editing, Tapatalk is now GONE!

The following users thanked this post: Rerouter, Kean, tooki, nugglix, Ysjoelfir, gnavigator1007, Electro Detective

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 10:20:32 am »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf